dcsimg

Craftsman "NEW" tool storage offering at Lowes

This topic contains 105 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 106 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro

I’m real hesitant on most of these that are offered at BB stores. I just started going thru this thread and I think I’ve seen the words ‘flimsy plastic’ a half dozen times or so. Big red flag imo. I especially don’t like hollow plastic wheels for the most part particularly if they’re open hollow on one side.

When these multi level all-in-one units are loaded up heavy is the real test. Next time you’re in the store Sami, load one up with a bunch of heavy stuff and see how it feels. Better finding out there that the box shapes warp out and maybe even the latches are inadequate for heavy loads.

Myself, I like units that are stackable and come apart, not these all-in-one arrangements. Think about how you’re gonna have to lift this around periodically like in and out of your vehicle, up and down stairs or over rough terrain. I rarely have to bring my tools in a vehicle myself , and I still don’t want some hugely heavy mass to deal with I can’t take apart if needed and I’m no weakling either.

Have you looked at what Tanos has to offer? They’re maybe more expensive, but the plastic they use is very durable and tough. I’ve had their platform in use for ten years and have never had issues with their stuff. They’re the mother company of the Systainer stuff that is branded for Festool but they have more items available in the Tanos branded stuff than what Festool has of theirs and typically you pay less for the same Tanos labelled identical stuff. I think you get what you pay for in this product category.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

They sure look a lot like the DeWalt box.

Seeing as how they are being made by the same company a lot of the Craftsman designs will be similar in appearance.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

They sure look a lot like the DeWalt box.

Seeing as how they are being made by the same company a lot of the Craftsman designs will be similar in appearance.

They are not just similar in appearance, they are exactly the same except for colors. I have seen other reviews that confirms they even stack and lock with each other.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I’m real hesitant on most of these that are offered at BB stores. I just started going thru this thread and I think I’ve seen the words ‘flimsy plastic’ a half dozen times or so. Big red flag imo. I especially don’t like hollow plastic wheels for the most part particularly if they’re open hollow on one side.

When these multi level all-in-one units are loaded up heavy is the real test. Next time you’re in the store Sami, load one up with a bunch of heavy stuff and see how it feels. Better finding out there that the box shapes warp out and maybe even the latches are inadequate for heavy loads.

Myself, I like units that are stackable and come apart, not these all-in-one arrangements. Think about how you’re gonna have to lift this around periodically like in and out of your vehicle, up and down stairs or over rough terrain. I rarely have to bring my tools in a vehicle myself , and I still don’t want some hugely heavy mass to deal with I can’t take apart if needed and I’m no weakling either.

Have you looked at what Tanos has to offer? They’re maybe more expensive, but the plastic they use is very durable and tough. I’ve had their platform in use for ten years and have never had issues with their stuff. They’re the mother company of the Systainer stuff that is branded for Festool but they have more items available in the Tanos branded stuff than what Festool has of theirs and typically you pay less for the same Tanos labelled identical stuff. I think you get what you pay for in this product category.

Kevin, I actually went over multiple new products under the name Craftsman in this same thread.

What is happening is Stanley has re-branded several tool storage products under the Stanley, DeWalt lines under the Craftsman name by switching the colors to red.

The first two I discussed – the multilevel mobile center, the XL Pro, and the rolling work station are filmsy and not worth a second look.

The “VersaStack”, which is the re-branded DrWalt TSTAK, is totally different. They are sturdy, reinforced and does not feel filmsy. I didn’t load tools in them to test at the store but I loaded a few 12 pack bottle water in them then stacked and rolled them around and it held well without yielding. I was pretty impressed.

As xtsallad who owns both the Craftsman VersaStack and L-boxxes the LBs are more filmsy and at more than twice the price.

I was not able to put my hands on the LBs, or the Milwaukee Packout, or the DeWalt Toughboxes which are the other two brands I have been considering and I think this one is worth considering even if priced similarly.

I think the Toughboxes is the most abuse tolerant, and may be overkill for me.

I like the LB LRACK where you can have drawers and pull out a skinny box to take with you.

But I really like the drawer system on the Craftsman in how smooth and how far it extends out with the glides. I hate to pull a drawer out 75%, then to fish for stuff in the back you have to remove the whole thing to sit it down somewhere.

The other thing is I think the LB1 is too skinny height wise and the LB2 is too deep.

I like that it’s available at the BB store and I can roll it around stack them this way and that load it up and turn it upside down, shake and wobble the handle etc…

The other advantage is since the same thing is offered by Craftsman VersaStack in red/black, DeWalt TSTAK in yellow/black, and Stanley FatMax in black/lighter yellow, it’s probably going to stick around, and likely future power tools in these brands or others under Stanley may be fitted with these compatible boxes.

Most of these will live in my truck. I don’t think I will go more than 4 deep. I have seen someone with an Empire State Building of boxes stacked 10 high, that’s not my use case. I need to be able to pick the needed boxes and stack them and go, or on small jobs to take an open tote and be able to quickly open various boxes and drawers and retrieve materials and tools to put into the tote and only take the tote.

In this case the price is lower in my opinion because they achieved economy through scale.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

One other thing, since the parts organizer is priced at $9.98, and with the coupon it is $8.83 for me, when they get here I plan to load one up with screws and nails, and toss them up to ten feet and see if it cracks or bust open when it lands on my concrete driveway.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The “VersaStack”, which is the re-branded DrWalt TSTAK, is totally different. They are sturdy, reinforced and does not feel filmsy. I didn’t load tools in them to test at the store but I loaded a few 12 pack bottle water in them then stacked and rolled them around and it held well without yielding. I was pretty impressed.

I relooked at them yesterday @ my local Blows,, Yes they are the T-Stacks,,, Didn’t have a big selection but some. The price is right!!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The top organizer can be bought by itself for $9.98. One of my neighbors who is not in the trade ordered 3 for himself. He likes to fish and these are perfect for him as stackable bait boxes LOL.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The top organizer can be bought by itself for $9.98. One of my neighbors who is not in the trade ordered 3 for himself. He likes to fish and these are perfect for him as stackable bait boxes LOL.

My Blows didn’t stock the screw box. and the small box was 20 bucks?

Dirty

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

My Blows didn’t stock the screw box. and the small box was 20 bucks?

It’s in the pictures you posted, the top one. Yes the small box which they call a “system suitcase” is $19.99, the same size organizer with clear top no top handle is $9.98 online. I didn’t see it available as a standalone box at my store but I ordered it online instead and delivery is free with mylowes accounts.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

??? WHY ???

That’s a good price on the Craftsman. Almost like it is mis priced.

I was thinking the same thing because the price differences between the other boxes, tote, drawers were not that big a difference, the Craftsman are cheaper in every single one, but sometimes by $1, or $3 but not $30+ vs $10-.

I had to go get some specialized plumbing parts this morning, and drove by another Lowes, so I went in to see what they have, and I was able to see the three pieces in the collection I was not able to in the other stores I visited. The parts organizer was one of those I checked out. Descriptions and pics below.

This parts organizer, CMST17805, sells for $9.98 at Lowes. Like you said it may be a mis priced item.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-CRAFTSMAN-System-Organizer/1000551327

In the front of the case there are some built in bit holders.

With the clear lid opened.

With some of the trays removed. As you can see, there is a slight recess at the bottom for these trays, so if you remove three of the trays and put in another item, close the lid and hold the case like a brief case, the remaining trays will NOT shift or slide because it is held at the bottom. So this allow you to may be keep part of the trays for screws, bits, sockets, adapters, and remove the rest to fit in a drill.

There is another recess at the bottom of each parts tray, possibility for some additional low profile storage.

Because of this attractive $9.98 price, I just placed an online order from Lowes for 8 of these organizers, if I don’t use them for organizing parts I can throw away the trays and they are deep enough for some tools with clear top. I tossed in a $20 off for $100 coupon and it’s even cheaper LOL!

That is a nice price for those organizers. I wouldn’t mine a couple of those also if they were that price up here. I searched Lowes & Rona and I could find those organizers.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yes the small box which they call a “system suitcase” is $19.99, the same size organizer with clear top no top handle is $9.98 online. I didn’t see it available as a standalone box at my store but I ordered it online instead and delivery is free with mylowes accounts.

The online price is fantastic. Great deal you found.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Now I am more inclined to think it’s a pricing error.

My order has been shipped and it was priced at $9.98.

Now I just checked the price went to $24.99.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-VersaStack-System-7-Compartment-Plastic-Small-Parts-Organizer/1000566683

When I ordered it even the pictures were incomplete. Someone messed up there and I got lucky.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well at least you got the good deal. The $9.998 price was just fantastic.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I thought the $9.99 price was way to cheep.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Now I am more inclined to think it’s a pricing error.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-VersaStack-System-7-Compartment-Plastic-Small-Parts-Organizer/1000566683

When I ordered it even the pictures were incomplete. Someone messed up there and I got lucky.

Well at least you were able to take advantage of the error in your favor

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Well at least you got the good deal. The $9.998 price was just fantastic.

It was more like $8.13 after my $20 off $100 coupon LOL.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The best part is when I looked at them again is that the Crapsman logo on the Boxx is a sticker that can be peeled off

Dirty

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Yep, first thing I do with them when I get them. Even the DeWalt and Stanley stickers.

@miamicuse
    I forgot to mention something about the deep drawers. I’ve heard of others having this problem and I have it myself with them after a few months or sooner. The drawer glides work reallly well but the plastic at the base of the box eventually deforms with weight on it and the drawers begin to drag. I haven’t had this problem with the shallow drawers. It helps to keep the deep drawers stacked so that with the interlocking feet there’s support across the whole bottom of the box but they still deform over time. The dragging deep drawers haven’t hindered their performance but they lose the smooth solid glide feeling.

j

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Interesting article on how the warranty situation with Craftsman tools and how it will be handled or not.

https://toolguyd.com/sears-sbd-craftsman-tools-confusion/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Interesting article on how the warranty situation with Craftsman tools and how it will be handled or not.

https://toolguyd.com/sears-sbd-craftsman-tools-confusion/

I think I’ll stay away from the Crapsman tools. I’ll stick with the better brands.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.783 seconds