dcsimg

Craftsman "NEW" tool storage offering at Lowes

This topic contains 105 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Author

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

The Craftsman Versastak is Tstak and works with other Tstak boxes. I have a bunch of L-Boxxes, and Tstak branded and colored for DeWalt, Stanley and have now been picking up some of the Craftsman. The yellow on the Dewalt has a a deeper color value and is less saturated and bright than the yellow plastic on the Stanley boxes. The different brands have different components molded in yellow and black such as the latches and handles. My Tstak kits now look like they’re from McDonalds with the yellows and red mixed… I’ll try to get some pics next week when I get back on-site. One thing I’ve found common between the Tstak and Lboxxs is that the drawers are most useful to me and I’ve ended up building my kits out of only stacks of drawers and just a few boxes to hold specific tools and accessories. I find the two wheel Dollie style most efficient for both kits. For tstak I favor the box with two wheels and a handle for the base. T-stack boxes are definitely tougher and I’ve broken less fo them than L-boxes. Lboxxs are easy to mend by cold welding with acetone. I heven’t Successfully mended broken Tstak boxes but they’re much harder to break. The craftsman versastak system offers a version with a silicone sealing closure on the boxes but the drawers are the same.

j

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@xtsallad yes the Craftsman version boxes are rated IP54.

I can see mixing the red and yellow can look funny. But it does give you an additional way of distinguishing between boxes of the same size. For example may be you have everything in yellow but a first aid kit in a red box. Or the way I am planning my Milwaukee tools in red boxes and the other ones in yellow possibly. Personally I prefer the DeWalt boxes as they are mostly black and muted. The Craftsman ones are red top black bottom. The drawers are definitely convenient. I have seen some inserts on those TSTAK drawers for drill bits and recip saw blades, don’t know if those are mods or available accessories. Looking forward to seeing your McDonald’s collection.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@xtsallad wow, really you can weld them back with acetone, that’s good to know, hopefully I never have to do that though.

And nice to see that the Craftsman can be used with the Stanley and dewalt.
    Great info
    Thanks

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

@xtsallad wow, really you can weld them back with acetone, that’s good to know, hopefully I never have to do that though.

And nice to see that the Craftsman can be used with the Stanley and dewalt.
    Great info
    Thanks

Yes, I’ve had it do it a few times. I usually use a q-tip dipped into acetone to press onto the cracks and it seems to flow into the cracks well. I usually also move the parts just a little after a few seconds to get the melting plastic in the joint mixed together but I don’t think that’s necessary. I’ve also fed the acetone into a joint by squirt bottle with needle, the type to apply acrylic solvent with, and that worked pretty well also.

@xtsallad yes the Craftsman version boxes are rated IP54.

I can see mixing the red and yellow can look funny. But it does give you an additional way of distinguishing between boxes of the same size. For example may be you have everything in yellow but a first aid kit in a red box. Or the way I am planning my Milwaukee tools in red boxes and the other ones in yellow possibly. Personally I prefer the DeWalt boxes as they are mostly black and muted. The Craftsman ones are red top black bottom. The drawers are definitely convenient. I have seen some inserts on those TSTAK drawers for drill bits and recip saw blades, don’t know if those are mods or available accessories. Looking forward to seeing your McDonald’s collection.

Lol, It’s not so bad and it works like you say. Looks a little ketchup and mustard. All of my deep drawers are dewalt tstak and my shallow drawers are craftsman versastack so they’re color coded for me and help me remember what’s in each. I’m with you on the more black the better, I’ve swapped out some of the Stanley retention clips on the sides with the dewalt yellow ones so the dewalt boxes have black clips. I noticed Lowes has a 3 box stack for $79 right now. This is a large box with handle and wheels, a small box and a box with clear lid and parts bins. The shallow 2 drawer boxes are $29 each. These are probably my favorite size but the deep drawers can fit powertools like 18v drill/drivers with belt clips and batteries installed. I’d be interested in some drawer inserts for bits and stuff.

j

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Lboxxs are easy to mend by cold welding with acetone.

That’s nice to know. Great tip.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

The Craftsman Versastak is Tstak and works with other Tstak boxes. I have a bunch of L-Boxxes, and Tstak branded and colored for DeWalt, Stanley and have now been picking up some of the Craftsman.

Good to know about the interchangeability of those boxes. Funny looking, I know, but nice to be able to take advantage of sale prices.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Here is a good example of the pricing difference on the new Craftsman boxes. Take the parts organizer as an example.

DEWALT

The DWST17805, available at The Home Depot, priced at $30.42.

HD LINK: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-TSTAK-V-9-Compartment-Small-Parts-Organizer-DWST17805/204404400

CRAFTSMAN

The CMST17805, which as far as I can tell, is the same exact thing except it is also IP54 rated, sells for $9.98 at Lowes.

LOWES LINK: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-CRAFTSMAN-System-Organizer/1000551327

??? WHY ???

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

??? WHY ???

That’s a good price on the Craftsman. Almost like it is mis priced.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Yeah, Ive seen the parts organizers and they’re the exact same but the removeable bins in the craftsman are red instead of yellow.

@miamicuse

Here are some images of the ketchup and mustard McDonald’s boxes I’m using on a site today. I guess I’m a little mixed up and I have my red tools in my yellow drawer…

j

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Yeah, Ive seen the parts organizers and they’re the exact same but the removeable bins in the craftsman are red instead of yellow.

@miamicuse

Here are some images of the ketchup and mustard McDonald’s boxes I’m using on a site today. I guess I’m a little mixed up and I have my red tools in my yellow drawer…

@xtsallad, thanks! That helps.

One question…I haven’t been able to find a deep drawer version. Craftsman does not offer one, I have seen the two shallow drawer version, but not the deep single drawer version from Dewalt.

I see you put your 12V drill in there. Think it may fit an 18V drill?

Any chance you can measure the interior depth of the deep drawer and see how deep it is?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

??? WHY ???

That’s a good price on the Craftsman. Almost like it is mis priced.

I was thinking the same thing because the price differences between the other boxes, tote, drawers were not that big a difference, the Craftsman are cheaper in every single one, but sometimes by $1, or $3 but not $30+ vs $10-.

I had to go get some specialized plumbing parts this morning, and drove by another Lowes, so I went in to see what they have, and I was able to see the three pieces in the collection I was not able to in the other stores I visited. The parts organizer was one of those I checked out. Descriptions and pics below.

This parts organizer, CMST17805, sells for $9.98 at Lowes. Like you said it may be a mis priced item.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-CRAFTSMAN-System-Organizer/1000551327

In the front of the case there are some built in bit holders.

With the clear lid opened.

With some of the trays removed. As you can see, there is a slight recess at the bottom for these trays, so if you remove three of the trays and put in another item, close the lid and hold the case like a brief case, the remaining trays will NOT shift or slide because it is held at the bottom. So this allow you to may be keep part of the trays for screws, bits, sockets, adapters, and remove the rest to fit in a drill.

There is another recess at the bottom of each parts tray, possibility for some additional low profile storage.

Because of this attractive $9.98 price, I just placed an online order from Lowes for 8 of these organizers, if I don’t use them for organizing parts I can throw away the trays and they are deep enough for some tools with clear top. I tossed in a $20 off for $100 coupon and it’s even cheaper LOL!

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I also saw the two shallow drawer box. Looks pretty neat and priced at $29.99.

With the drawers extended. I quite like the smoothness of the drawers opening and closing, and it extends a good 90%.

The interior partitions can be removed.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

@miamicuse

@xtsallad, thanks! That helps.

One question…I haven’t been able to find a deep drawer version. Craftsman does not offer one, I have seen the two shallow drawer version, but not the deep single drawer version from Dewalt.

I see you put your 12V drill in there. Think it may fit an 18V drill?

Any chance you can measure the interior depth of the deep drawer and see how deep it is?

For sure, I normally have 2, 18v drivers with belt clips attached in the deep drawers no problem. They’re 4” (10cm) deep.

If I remember correctly, I’ve bought most of my deep drawers places like CPO, Tyler tool, ace tool, tool barn, tool nut, amazon and eBay. Usually around $35. I’ve only ever found Dewalt ones. I can’t imagine Stanley black and decker wouldn’t release a craftsman deep drawer soon. The colored plastic handles can be swapped out between brands. They hold the drawer release levers together but it doesn’t look too difficult. I’ve never done it though.

Also, the deep drawers I’ve brought come full of the same containers the parts organizer with the clear lid has, in black, but they also have individual lids. I remove them but they’re great to store small parts in and they stack well with or without the lids attached.

j

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The last item I found was the deep box. The middle one in the 3 piece system.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@xtsallad and @miamicuse dang it you guys, nice set up,
    Great pictures and information, you guys are making it hard not to think about these different tool boxes,
    I’m really liking the Craftsman toolboxes

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thank you for the update on the new Craftsman storage units. They look pretty nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I do know all the different boxxes come outof the same plant in Israel. It’s the Keter plant.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@xtsallad, yes the missing item from the craftsman series is the deep drawer box. I like how they are on metal guides and can slide out further then most other drawers I have seen. Hopefully there will be a red version or else I have to get them in yellow.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It really helps to be able to see these boxes in person, stack them in different configurations and roll/carry them it answers so many questions some I didn’t even think to ask. Having the packout and L-boxxes mail order only makes it real hard to commit.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Because of this attractive $9.98 price, I just placed an online order from Lowes for 8 of these organizers, if I don’t use them for organizing parts I can throw away the trays and they are deep enough for some tools with clear top. I tossed in a $20 off for $100 coupon and it’s even cheaper LOL!

That’s a great deal. And even better with the $20 coupon Lowes has sent out. They sure look a lot like the DeWalt box.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.731 seconds