dcsimg

Craftsman "NEW" tool storage offering at Lowes

This topic contains 100 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  roninohio 4 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 101 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Went to Lowes yesterday to pick up a few things and as I walked by I saw an entire rack up front dedicated to a new line of Craftsman mobile tool storage. All in black/red and plastic. Interesting. There were quire a few items there and I took them all down on the floor and spent some time opening closing stacking unstacking feeling rolling them around as well as took some pictures.

I have been looking at the L-boxxes as a possible modular tool storage solution in the last few weeks, doing some research on them and comparing them with the Milwaukee Packout, DeWalt Toughboxes etc…and one issue I have is I could never get my hands on them. So planning is a real issue. It’s almost like you have to order one of each size just to start with, then go from there. This Craftsman offering is certainly interesting from a price standpoint.

I will post about one product with it’s assorted picture per post below so it doesn’t get too confusing all intermixed.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The first one that caught my eye is the Craftsman Multi Level Workshop. This is priced originally at $99.99 marked down to $79.98 and it’s a three tier rolling solution with the ability to cantilever.

Link to Craftsman: https://www.craftsman.com/products/multi-level-workshop?taxon_id=6713

Link to Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-21-57-in-1-Drawer-Plastic-Metal-Lockable-Wheeled-Tool-Box-Red/1000392003?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-ToolStorage-_-1000392003:CRAFTSMAN&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000392003&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=a0b733d9-7f54-4f33-9130-d209b44a05fc&gclid=Cj0KCQjww8jcBRDZARIsAJGCSGt4LtqjQGShobw28r_1d2ypjNlaPZ9Qa-cUF_O5mKKhCBZdRZQ5B50aAtplEALw_wcB

Here are my pictures.

With the unit opened and expanded.

Closed/collapsed position with handle up/down front and back.

Uses a big latch in the middle to expand.

The middle is a parts organizer with removable partitions.

The bottom is just one big deep box. There is no other included accessory that I can see.

This is one big piece. You can’t take it apart. If you load it up full of tools, you have to lift the whole thing on and off your vehicle.

The plastic feels kind of filmsy and flexes quite a bit. The expand slide out and in operation is not smooth. The handle on top wobbles. But then again, it’s $79.98.

Overall impression…If you are looking for something modular, to carry to the job site from your vehicle, which boxes you need may change from day to day or project to project, this is not it. If you do one primary thing such as paint and want to throw a paint sprayer, putty knives, caulk guns, tubes of caulk, tape, knives, rollers and brushes and what not, and not too heavy, this may work.

If loaded up this would be like lifting a BBQ grill up to the truck.

Craftsman model number CMST20880.

umm…I have seen this before. This is a DeWalt DWST20880 and they called it a “Multi-Level Rolling Mobile Work Center”. Note the “20880” LOL. Changed the yellow to red.

So is this what Stanley has in mind for Craftsman’s name? Put it’s brand on other stuff they have?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The next one is also a three piece rolling storage. The corresponding item on Craftsman’s own web site call it a “Rolling Workshop” CMST18614 with no picture and it’s “COMING SOON”.

Craftsman: https://www.craftsman.com/products/rolling-workshop?taxon_id=6713

I can’t find it on Lowes own web site or it’s price. The item on the shelf does not correspond to the sticker on the shelf and I looked at the various nearby stickers. My guess is it’s around $60.

It is a top tool box, in the middle is a skinny parts organizer that is also a lid of the deep bottom box.

There are two small trays on the top tool box. With their lids open.

If you remove the top box, you have the bottom box with the parts organizer lid.

Note that the handle to roll the whole thing is NOT secured to the bottom box, but on the top box. This puts A LOT of stress on the latches that binds the top and bottom boxes. This seems to be a good height to sit on for some tasks? Don’t know if I would use it as a step stool though, plastic is kind of filmsy.

With the lid opened showing the organizer. Not adjustable.

With the organizer out of the way is the deep tote.

The latch mechanism connecting the bottom box to the top box.

The wheel is hollow plastic.

Overall impression. This is a pass for me. This is stackable, so you could carry it one piece at a time out of the truck. It’s not modular again. What if you want to just roll the tote in without the toolbox you have no handle!

Wait…I think I have seen this before as well. It is the same as Stanley STST16813 Rolling Workshop.

It is available at Global Industries for $50.95.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/tool-storage/tool-boxes/stst18613-3-in-1-rolling-workshop?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KCQjww8jcBRDZARIsAJGCSGs671CQ7nlFu5cV8q4rlBLTAzx2NSQACSaUQlTz2xNoENJ8bXeivf4aAv5dEALw_wcB

The Craftsman model is CMST18614, which is the Stanley model number + 1.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The third item is the Craftsman System Tower CMST60403. It’s a three piece system with stackable boxes. The top is an organizer and the middle is a shallow box like a LB2 and the bottom is a deep box like a LB4.

Craftsman link: https://www.craftsman.com/products/system-tower?taxon_id=6713

However, at the store I was at, it wasn’t being sold as a three piece unit. The three piece unit on Lowes web site is $79.98.

Lowes link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-System-Tower-20-in-Red-Plastic-Aluminum-Lockable-Wheeled-Tool-Box/1000390943

On the shelf however, the bottom deep box is priced at $49.95, and the shallow box which they called the “System Suitcase” at $16.99. I could not find the stackable organizer (I did find one but that’s another product and doesn’t intergrate with this system).

I put the rolling deep box at the bottom and stacked three suitcases up top. The suitcases have top and front handles and catches on the left/right sides.

The latches to lock them into the stack is a bit difficult. Not terrible but it needs a bit of a finessing.

With the top opened.

These plastic don’t feel as filmsy as the other two I discussed prior.

The bottom rolling box.

With the handle fully extended.

With the lid open there is a smaller slidng tray up top.

The wheel and the side latches.

The suitcase and sticker price. Note that this is part of what they called VERSASTACK. In this picture if you look closer they showed a three tier arrangement with a middle box that is between the height of the suitcase and the deep rolling case.

But I didn’t see that medium box on the shelf, nor could I find the organizer.

So this Versastack has a “suitcase” box, an organizer that is the same size as the suitcase, a medium box, and a deep rolling box. Not all of them are on the shelf at my local Lowes.

I *might* consider the suitcases. Not for it’s mobility but as a stacked tier in my truck for non tools stuff. Not sure.

and of course, this is the same as the Stanley FatMax TSTAK Tower FMST60403P, also available at Lowes, the three piece system for $95.20.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-FatMax-Tstak-Tower/1000135763

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The final item is a deep organizer. It is called a XL PRO ORGANIZER CMST14520.

Craftsman link: https://www.craftsman.com/products/xl-pro-organizer?taxon_id=6713

It is not yet listed on Lowes and no price on the shelf either.

These organizer boxes are stackable. So I tried it on the System Tower. Nope, different size boxes.

Why would they create a stackable storage offering and then their new organizer that is stackable won’t stack on these. You can just stack the organizers by themselves? Makes on sense.

As expected, this is the same as the Stanley FatMax FMST14520 organizer, also available from Lowes, for $24.98.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-XL-Professional-Organizer/1000405273

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@miamicuse yes that third one ,is the one I had mentioned in your other l box thread, that’s the one that caught my eye also, looks pretty good,

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I kinda like the Milwaukee Packout.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I looked at them at My Blows too. They look like a recreation on many other boxx setups.
    Right now I think the Milwaukee Packout is the best ones out there I just hate the Milwaukee name and color so much I won’t but it.
    Here’s a good thread on the Packout,,,
    http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/milwaukee-packout-storage-boxes-345634/

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I kinda like the Milwaukee Packout.

I do too.

But that’s not a fair comparison in my opinion. The Packout skinny box is $68. The Craftsman box is $16.99. I can walk out of Lowe’s with the Craftsman rolling deep box, two tool boxes and a tote, all stacking, for less than $100, before the 10% Lowe’s discount.

The system tower which used to be FatMax is not half bad. I might seriously consider it for my less accessed parts and accessories.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Also I cannot consider Milwaukee because their shallower boxes have no top handle. I don’t plan on having foam cutouts as I think it reduces what you can fit inside a box, so holding it like a briefcase would not work. Which means my options were L-boxxes or the badly received Marita boxes. Now the craftsman boxes have top handles.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks like the new Craftsman stuff is rolling out. Between now and Thanksgiving there are to be a lot of new Craftsman stuff at Lowes.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@miamicuse yes that third one ,is the one I had mentioned in your other l box thread, that’s the one that caught my eye also, looks pretty good,

Definitely. The multi level workshop and the rolling workshop are not worth considering. The system tower seems to have enough pieces and the prices are very attractive.

I just went back to Lowes again last night to have another look, took some measurements as well.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Looks like the new Craftsman stuff is rolling out. Between now and Thanksgiving there are to be a lot of new Craftsman stuff at Lowes.

One would wonder, since these are really formerly DeWalt and Stanley tool boxes, what is Stanley’s plan for Craftsman? Is it to use the brand name on other products? What about other spaces like shop storage, lawn equipment, hand tools where Craftsman is big in? Will we start to see Porter Cable power tools to be relabeled as Craftsman?

Also, I wonder if the yellow and black Stanley TSTAK boxes will be phased out and hence go on a fire sale soon?

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Definitely. The multi level workshop and the rolling workshop are not worth considering. The system tower seems to have enough pieces and the prices are very attractive.

I just went back to Lowes again last night to have another look, took some measurements as well.

I’m going to have to go check them out.
    I will ask if I can take them down from the display.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I needed to take some interior measurements of the boxes so I went back again last night.

I found a new item on the shelf this time. A tote.

So I assembled the tote on top of these other boxes. Here are some pictures from different angles.

Note that the tote has some vertical storage on the side for wrenches, screw drivers, torpedo level, pencils, clip a tape measure etc…

The big handle seems pretty solid and can be recessed.

You can also stack other boxes over the tote. On some brands the tote has to be on the top of the stack, this one can be anywhere. I put three system suitcases on top of it.

Milwaukee has a tote, Bosch as far as I know doesn’t. It adds some flexibility to how you work, you can pick up boxes 1, 4, 9 and roll them to the site, or on smaller jobs, you can leave the boxes and drawers alone, and pick out the tools you need into the tote and off you go with just the tote or another stacked box above or below. I think the tote is priced at $16.99. It is not yet listed on Craftsman own web site or Lowes web site.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

So far from what I have seen on this VERSASTACK series, they have:

1. Bottom deep box roller with handle $49.99
    2. Medium depth box (like the LB3) – didn’t see it at Lowes
    3. Shallower suitcase box (between LB1 and LB2) – $16.99
    4. A part organizer like the suitcase box – didn’t see that at Lowes either but appeared in pictures
    5. Open tote – not sure on price I think $15.99

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

OK so this is everything in the VERSASTACK series so far.

Radio/charger, tool case, deep case, deepest case with roller, parts organizer, tote, 2 shallow drawer case.

I wonder if the entire DeWalt TSTAK will be brought over because the TSTAK has a cart, trolley, deep drawer, foam inserts and long handle boxes.

The Craftsman counterpart seems identical, only red/black instead of yellow/black but lower in prices.

I bet they will interlock together.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

One additional observation.

At the Lowes on display, two of the boxes already have NO front metal latches. I don’t know if it means they come off or break off easy.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

OK so this is everything in the VERSASTACK series so far.

Radio/charger, tool case, deep case, deepest case with roller, parts organizer, tote, 2 shallow drawer case.

I wonder if the entire DeWalt TSTAK will be brought over because the TSTAK has a cart, trolley, deep drawer, foam inserts and long handle boxes.

The Craftsman counterpart seems identical, only red/black instead of yellow/black but lower in prices.

I bet they will interlock together.

Thanks for all the information, they definitely are starting to get my attention, I really like how big bottom with the handle and wheels, and the other mod ones also, makes sense.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

After doing more research on this, I am reasonably sure this is the same as the DeWalt TSTAK, and the Stanley FatMax TSTAK.

Not sure whose brand it comes actually comes out of, I think Stanley, but now it’s being rolled out under the Craftman brand. It’s all owned by Stanley anyway.

The Dewalt TSTAK:

The Stanlet TSTAK:

I see some interesting advantages.

First, being offered under three brands means you can just read the reviews on the existing brands instead of making the investment on something new with limited reviews available.

Second, it makes it easier if certain colors is a show stopper. You can go yellow or red, or mix them. They are interchangeable.

Third, all the existing accessories, dollies, inserts, foam cutouts under the other brands are compatible. They can be utilized even if there isn’t an item under the Craftsman brand. You can just order whichever brand on is on sale or cheaper.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.451 seconds