dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Just received my letter or paperwork just in case they stop people driving across the bridges and so on , basically a letter stating that I’m part of the essential services 🤷‍♂️👍

I have had my letter for 2 weeks and yet to stop working as we make food products. Which is a essential service. We have a few employees off work due cold & flu like symptoms and some are off due being a high risk. So we are working short handed every shift. The company has put in alot of Safety measures to try and keep everyone safe. It has been a very stressful few weeks.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

@GTokley
    Yeah I know exactly what you mean ,
    It’s been trying at times , working and trying to get food and supplies for home , my wife has a compromised system and with complications , that plus my 81 year old mother inlaw lives with us , so it’s just the fact everything has to be thought of before entering the house , I usually have to wash my hands then disinfect everything and start over again ,
    I definitely won’t be sad to see this virus long gone

At work it’s pretty empty on the floor , I’m pretty much isolated in the glass blowing room. Only when I go out for fresh air or helping lend a hand with the new test and equipment ,

It’s not easy for lots of people. Hang in there and stay safe

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’m finally seeing an effect on construction here in town.

Now that all essential services only offer online orders and curbside pickup, I’m basically at a standstill. I tried sourcing as much supplies and materials as I could before hand, but your always missing something.

I’m now having to wait for 1xx odd orders ahead. Of me to be processed before being able. To pick up a few pieces Of dimensional lumber and some cedar shims. Apparently contractors who are still working don’t get any special service during this time.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

New orders : all nonessential businesses to be closed until May the 4th.
    One more month in the house.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

So far it’s business as usual here in Alberta. No sign of any construction being stopped as of yet. Pipeline construction also starting to pick up in a big way as the weather is improving.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

A very informative video that gets into the engineering and health issues of a safe, effective ventilator.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vLPefHYWpY&feature=emb_logo

Clev08
    Pro

Menards recently has ramped up their Covid-19 protocol. No kids under 16 or dogs allowed in the store, X’s Every 6 feet at checkout lines and they put caution tape around all the patio displays.

I didn’t have the time to wait in the lineup for getting into the IGA groceries store near me , so I opted to try the other one metro , they are trying , but definitely not on the same protocol for protection and other means like trying to protect their own employees. I personally thought it could have been slightly better.
    IGA have many more people /staff on the floor , plus signs saying that if you touch the product , please buy it , that plus the plexiglass around the cashier was barely even adequate for her/his personal space , even some of the employees didn’t even have gloves and didn’t really see them wiping down the work area.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I hope this is not what we end up with after all this online learning.

Attachments:
    Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Looks like the impossibles stairs designed by Escher in his famous ” Relativity”
    Or, the beginning of it 😀

😮🤣😂🤣😂 Guess someone was looking for other means of employment after that LoL

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

LOL!

Speaking of online learning…I have been watching some webinars put on by Fine Homebuilding in a series they cal Expert Sessions. They have guys like Tim Uhler, Mike Guertin…pretty good content.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Menards recently has ramped up their Covid-19 protocol. No kids under 16 or dogs allowed in the store, X’s Every 6 feet at checkout lines and they put caution tape around all the patio displays.

My local home depot has one entrance and one exit only with someone guarding the entrance. They calculate and keep a maximum number of customers inside. So if you go during busy hours you might have to wait to be let in.

They have also bottle necked somewhat the checkout process. Used to have multiple aisles of assisted checkout and self checkout stations. Now it’s a single line with customers spaced 6′ apart. Now imagine with customers standing 6′ apart waiting to pay you have many other customers not realizing there is a line and just squeeze in between the 6′ space until someone says something then they realized they had cut in line and have to swing the cart back out of the time meanwhile violating the 6′ spacing LOL. It’s a mess. Once you get to the front of the line you wait to be called and lead to the checkout station. If it happens to be an assisted checkout station you cannot refuse – I prefer a self checkout where I can scan my own stuff and type in my own job code and process my credit card without another person standing too close and touching everything I am buying.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Speaking of online learning every school is figuring this out as they go.

I would think if this goes on longer then expected, some of the more prestige college like Harvard that charges over $100K a year for tuition may not be as “valued” as say a $20K a year common state college when it comes to online learning at home?

It’s not the same education experience.

My son is a university junior and going through the online classes after being sent home. They had an exam yesterday. So basically at the exam date and time, the professor emailed the test to them. They then opened the email and printed a hard copy of the exam. They will need to log into a video conference meeting and turn on their web cam so the professor can see them in person doing the exam. They are being asked NOT to use a cell phone during the entire exam. Once done with the exam, they have to scan the exam back in and email it back to the professor within ten minutes. This is the exam where they had to show work, derivations and diagrams etc…other professors would use multiple choice tests, where each student may be seeing scrambled questions.

Apparently they are worried about cheating in college. That one student may have worked out answers to question #8 and text or message all their friends, and someone else worked on question #6 and do the same, and there is not much they can do to stop it.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Dogs you say?
    I’ve never seen anyone with a dog in a store unless it was one of those specially trained dogs that accompany persons in needs.

@Sorpa actually yesterday while I was in Patrick Morin I heard a dog bark , well being curious , I had to find out , turns out it was a young couple around 30 s they had a small dog wrapped up in blankets , just the little head showing lol. Judging by the face it looked like a older dog , hey I’d rather see that than having people leave the dogs out in the car for a while , especially when it’s hot.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Another funny distancing sign. Have fun while doing the right thing!
    https://i.redd.it/mvw7dwvbfbr41.jpg

Despite the layoffs , they will have some people in to prep the new work area for the new respirators that we got approved from the government , should be starting them this week I would imagine.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Despite the layoffs , they will have some people in to prep the new work area for the new respirators that we got approved from the government , should be starting them this week I would imagine.

You’ll be on the team making ventilators?

david49
    Pro

All of our current work is exterior. Not working around any homeowners or other workers either.

Same here. Can’t wait till this mess is over.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 469 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.369 seconds