dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I do believe their initial messaging was inadequate. Not to lay blame but just to point out how messaging can make a big difference. Granted, it’s unprecedented, but saying it only affects the old and those with cancer, diabetes, and immune compromised (and they are still saying that), was partially what prompted the younger generations to take it lightly, to cause all those students who suddenly got classes cancelled and have an extra week of spring break while universities switch to online instructions, those students decided it’ time to go to Florida for spring break, or party time at frat houses. There are so many cases of those who died were younger folks, doctors and nurses in their 30s and 40s. There are entire families in Italy and China being wiped out.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Finally, I am seeing some recent discussions of the mask issue I raised a few pages back here:

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/covid-19-and-construction/page/5/#post-742397

They are now questioning the validity of advising not to use masks.

Of course, the health care workers need masks, and should have been first priority to have proper equipment. The problem is not being transparent, and instead cooked up some messages saying masks are useless, masks are problematic, instead of just being straight and say masks are in short supply so you should not use them and stay home.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

OK guess what this picture is all about? It has gone completely viral in China last few days. Take a wild guess.

This is in Wuhan, China. This is outside of a funeral home / cremation center. There are eight of these in Wuhan, it is a wait in a line of 600 feet long about six hours to claim the cremated remains. They processed about 500 remains a day. This has been going on for days.

They interviewed an eight year old boy. He was there with an adult who is a neighbor. The boy was there to claim the cremated bodies of both his parents. Many of those in line have multiple claim tickets.

The “official” covid-19 death toll in Wuhan is 2535. If this is the case, eight funeral homes with 500 bodies per day, will produce 4000 bodies in just one day. Of course, this include all deaths, car accidents, heart attacks, natural deaths etc…but those are relatively smaller percentages. Imagine how many real deaths there must be.

One undercover reporter interviewed a ER doctor there who remained anonymous. he looked at just one day of records for that hospital to get a sense of the numbers. On a particular day in February, they examined 120 patients who exhibited covid-19 symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath, etc…) and from x-rays 80 of them have lung fibrosis, they admitted 5 into the hospital. They did the official covid-19 tests on those 5, and that’s the number in the official count of confirmed cases. If some of them died, they will be counted into the death toll. The rest of those not admitted, not tested, who died back at their homes, are not counted. China’s numbers is just not reliable and I don’t know if the US projections are based partly on the official China numbers. Hopefully not.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Rumor has it that the death toll in Wuhan is 20 to 40 times ( not percentage ) bigger than the official numbers.
    Probably we’ll never know.

Rumor has it that the death toll in Wuhan is 20 to 40 times ( not percentage ) bigger than the official numbers.

Probably we’ll never know.

WOW , yeah that’s a problem , lots of things are probably kept under wraps , lots of innocent people lost their lives and loved ones because of idiots making decisions.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Good visualization of exponential spread of a pandemic:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

And another showing control measures. Show it to anyone who isn’t following the advice being given by health officials.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/coronavirus-how-epidemics-spread-and-end/

(two posts because when I put both links in one the post disappeared)

Well it’s been a difficult time these last few weeks , we finally sent in a request from the government to be able to produce some respirators and ventilators for the covid19, hopefully it will provide relief for the medical staff ,
    I’ll let you guys know more about it in the next few days. Fingers crossed.

https://caemedia.azurewebsites.net/?id=ffc07e78-3d46-4ac5-803a-798063a9d99f

Not sure if it’s going to work , but it’s a try , we definitely make inovative products and services here , I proud to be part of the company.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

That’s the kind of stuff I come here to see! It’s amazing that you guys are able to help out and make some contributions. It’s so awesome to see people coming together and businesses adapting to make these products that we are so desperately need of right now.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Good stuff, @boschmanbrian! It’s great to see companies that are stepping up, recognizing that this is a stupendously demanding situation which requires us all to work together.
    https://business.financialpost.com/transportation/airlines/this-is-a-wartime-effort-flight-simulator-cae-designs-ventilator-prototype-in-11-days-aims-to-produce-10000-in-3-months

Thank you guys @kswiss and @whitehill
    It’s been kind of under wraps , but now that they posted it , it’s amazing.
    I really hope we can make a difference.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

This is how they are promoting social distancing in the Yukon:
    https://twitter.com/Fox_E_Lori/status/1245595655680053254

So what should it be for construction? 1 shovel? 4 reciprocating saws?
    5 L-Boxx? 🙂

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

@whitehill

That’s fun!
    Everybody’s saying 2 meters or 6 feet. But it’s not the same.

I went to the IGA near my house today after my shoulder injection , I have to say , I’m even more impressed again , they put up plexiglass between the client and the cashier , plus the other cashier behind , has a nice wooden sliding door to protect them from the clients , I like to see the extra precautions , especially since they have families to go home to ,
    Plus the liquor store has similar stuff , and the clinic this morning was an amazing experience , great to see them protecting the employees. That’s off to them , well done 👍👊

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

@boschmanbrian that is awesome that your company is pitching in like that and that you are putting yourself out there to work on it – kudos to you, my friend!

Precautions are kind of a mixed bag here…some of the larger chain stores are putting up plexiglass dividers, wearing gloves, etc. Others….I have heard that quite a few fast food chains in the area are not even using gloves at drive thrus…

The grocery store I primarily go to is going above and beyond – To prevent hoarding customers have to ask for TP and bottled water at the check out and a stock clerk brings it out. They wear gloves, sanitize the entire checkout area between customers, they do a great job.

The other grocery store in the area…Well, suffice to say that I do not shop there now.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If you are a member of a hone builders association that is affiliated with the National Association of Homebuilders, there is a lot of great COVID information on their website nahb.org on how to deal with ongoing operations in the midst of this crisis.

Just received my letter or paperwork just in case they stop people driving across the bridges and so on , basically a letter stating that I’m part of the essential services 🤷‍♂️👍

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

SBA is offering up to 10k forgivable loans for business owners in the U.S. Also other loans tied to payroll will be available soon.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

SBA is offering up to 10k forgivable loans for business owners in the U.S. Also other loans tied to payroll will be available soon.

the PPP loans could be applied for today. see your banker. I think you could get 250% of a months payroll and it would be forgiven if used for payroll expenses, interest on loans and utilities, as long as your payroll count and hours stay the same through June.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.535 seconds