dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 328 total)
  • Author

It’s an unsettling time.

Here’s an article someone shared with me, maybe it will help.

https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomfort-youre-feeling-is-grief?fbclid=IwAR1bwKlQ-_8RW9bNa2H813NSRH3FAkqf5fme6YiH7tn3l3p3fdOWKzdfHKQ

WOW , great article , I’m going to print it out , I find my mil she’s 81 , she’s having a hard time with this , she doesn’t even go out for walks in the front of our house , I told her go sit or walk in the back yard , or even just get in her car and drive around the block , she’s paranoid , and I completely understand that , it’s definitely harder on the elders , plus our daughter is going stir crazy , she’s definitely happy I’m home now , two days in a row we were bike riding , and yesterday after supper we were on the swings in the backyard , just talking about the situation , she misses her friends.
    Thanks again for the great read , I guess I’m feeling it also , I’ve never been the type of person to just sit around and relax , I’m used to moving plenty ,

Thanks again it opened up my eyes to.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

@boschmanbrian

I think it’s much easier for elders living in their houses, the ones who have a backyard. They can go there and relax, clean, stroll, etc.
    The ones living in résidence pour les personnes agées are going nuts.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apparently people who wear masks end up touching their faces more which puts you at higher risk of surface transmission. Experts are still telling people that physical distancing and excellent hand hygiene are your best methods of avoiding contact.

This is a very controversial topic and good arguments from both sides.

In Asia, pretty much every citizen is wearing a mask. Why, because they believe a mask will stop the spread more effectively. They also believe in some cases when you have a mask on, yes you may feel uncomfortable and end up adjusting the mask, hence touching your face, but the mask prevented you from touching at least your nose and mouth directly. They assume the hands are dirty from touching stuff all over. They also do not have the luxury of the 6′ social distancing when the population density is such that a normal day involves going inside crowded elevators multiple times, where they have to hire workers to push your butts into the subway cars so the doors can close properly, they have to pretty much deal with shoulder to shoulder distance.

On the other hand, the CDC guideline says please, only the sick wear masks, only the health care workers wear masks, the mask is to cover the infected so they don’t cough or sneeze into open air. Fine. Since they said between 50-80% of infected are asymptomatic, and almost 100% of those infected are contagious well before symptoms develop, how do you expect those people to wear a mask if they do not know they are contagious? Even if they are symptomatic and wanted to wear a mask, there is no mask to be found at any drug stores to be purchased anywhere. Even the healthcare workers are running out of masks. So to me the logic does not fly here. We are being advised not to wear a mask because there is a shortage on masks, not because a mask is useless. If a mask is useless, why would the CDC advice the health care workers to use a scarf instead if and when they ran out? Yes a P95 or higher is best, but a scarf is better than nothing, IMHO. At least that’s how I am operating, that my hands are always assumed “dirty”.

I think cultures made a difference. In Japan where you greet each other by bowing, versus in Italy you greet by a big hug and kisses on both cheeks, probably has something to do with how widespread this became.

The surface contamination worries me. It’s close to impossible to keep cleaning everything. I go buy lunch takeout and I see how the cashier handing me food have been collecting cash from everyone in front of me and after me, taking credit cards, and yes while he/she is wearing a pair of gloves, whatever it’s on that pair of gloves touched everything – money, credit cards, food that it came in contact with. I heard people put on a pair of gloves to handle takeout food. Remove the containers from the paper bags, then spray down the outside of the food containers and fork/spoon with Lysol. You drive through a Starbucks and get coffee, the cashier handled the last guy’s money then touched the top of that lid while he handed it to you, you put your lips on that lid to sip. Well it’s the same as the last customer’s hand touched your mouth right?

How I just read an advisary that this virus *MAY* linger in air in certain situations. That is totally different from projectiles of sneezes and coughs.

Two days ago I was reading another article from China out of Wuhan, where one of the doctors said those who recovered, self resolved, are not “Free” of the virus. Their immune system have successfully suppressed the virus, but they are still in their bodies and still contagious. I hope this is not true. So many news and stuff I got from all over that I can’t all digest and make sense of.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I just spoke to a friend of mine who’s from Hong Kong. They are doing the 14 day mandatory self quarantine there if you arrive from another country. Mandatory, in that they put a wrist band on you with some chips inside. They will monitor you and make sure you stay put for 14 days, if you go out they will come arrest you. If you cut the band they know. So he knows someone who’s parent died and they flew home to attend the funeral but can’t due to the 14 day quarantine, and the funeral was not attended because they don’t want to have big gatherings with people crying – sniffing sneezing coughing weeping yelling. That’s just sad.

Bosch is putting their industrial strength and research into the problem.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/new-bosch-rapid-test-can-detect-coronavirus-in-25-hours/ar-BB11K1SK?li=AAggFp0&ocid=mailsignout

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Minnesota just shut down the state for nonessential businesses for 2 weeks. Fortunately construction has been deemed a critical business so we are exempt. Fortunately for us, we can keep working.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

nonessential businesses

In Quebec construction is considered – in this case- nonessential businesses so everything is closed.

@Sorpa you are right about the elders in the old age folks homes , no visitors and have to stay put , I’d go crazy to. I just came back from IGA , Costco line up was insanely long , I’m impressed with the way IGA have been trying to control this , washing station and disinfect wipes , plus employees going around disinfecting the shelves and other things , just some people don’t get it

I bet this virus is smarter than some of these people. Excuse me but some people are just plain idiots.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I bet this virus is smarter than some of these people. Excuse me but some people are just plain idiots.

LMAO!I could not agree with you more!

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Kindly agree with the conclusion 😀

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

so two of my tenants (one is a hair dresser and one is a flight attendants) told me they will not be able to make rent for April. Then another tenant got word and said to me “well if Joanne is not paying rent I am not paying either”…meanwhile I still have bills, insurances, mortgage, property taxes and maintenance to pay. They think all landlords have tens of millions of cash collection dust. This is going to be brutal to overcome.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Went to a restaurant today to get take out. It’s a BBQ place.

I ordered then the cashier at the counter took my credit card (she was wearing a pair of gloves), gave me the receipt and a pen to sign. Then the next customer paid cash, she took his bills and gave him change.

Then my food was ready and she took my ribs from the kitchen counter, opened it with the same pair of gloves. Then she grab a corn bread from the upper shelf and added that to my take out box, she then took a tong and fished out a piece of corn from another container, the same tong the guy cutting the BBQ meat uses.

Then she grabbed napkins, plastic forks and knives and tossed it into the bag of food.

I end up not eating the food. It’s inside a fridge and I will reheat it later. She was using the same pair of gloves that she took credit cards, gave a pen for everyone to sign, handled cash and change, fill up soda cups and pressed on the lids, handled all the side items like corn bread, cole slaw, ketchup packs. The cashier herself is safe because she is not touching anything with her bare hands, but every customer is basically touching every other customer. Scary with this thing running around. I guess I might stop getting take out altogether for a while.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I guess I might stop getting take out altogether for a while.

I have..there is no way that the majority of restaurants are taking all the necessary precautions.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Went to a restaurant today to get take out. It’s a BBQ place.

I ordered then the cashier at the counter took my credit card (she was wearing a pair of gloves), gave me the receipt and a pen to sign. Then the next customer paid cash, she took his bills and gave him change.

Then my food was ready and she took my ribs from the kitchen counter, opened it with the same pair of gloves. Then she grab a corn bread from the upper shelf and added that to my take out box, she then took a tong and fished out a piece of corn from another container, the same tong the guy cutting the BBQ meat uses.

Then she grabbed napkins, plastic forks and knives and tossed it into the bag of food.

I end up not eating the food. It’s inside a fridge and I will reheat it later. She was using the same pair of gloves that she took credit cards, gave a pen for everyone to sign, handled cash and change, fill up soda cups and pressed on the lids, handled all the side items like corn bread, cole slaw, ketchup packs. The casher herself is safe because she is not touching anything with her bare hands, but every customer is basically touching every other customer. Scary with this thing running around. I guess I might stop getting take out altogether for a while.

Yeah that’s pretty gross , at least the few places I’ve been to here have had the decency to either wipe the cardholder and usually let me deal with the card , I just use a pin number no need for a pen , and then they ask if I want to put my things in my own bags,. That’s the thing , no real procedure for everyone 🤷‍♂️
    I went to the grocery store and even home Depot today , both places were very impressive at the way they were controlling the public , marking on the floor , and employees telling the public what they are expected to follow , then both of them had those wash stations inside ,
    Hats off to those companies that are taking extra precautions. Now if only the public would actually listen and not be so much me myself and eye , judging by some people , I don’t think these viruses have to be so smart LoL

Doobie

They’re not allowed to go from handling cash/CCs to food with gloves on here or the register for that matter. And every time you remove your old gloves, they are not to be used again. It’s been that rule in restaurants and FF joints for at least a couple of decades or more here.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

They’re not allowed to go from handling cash/CCs to food with gloves on here or the register for that matter. And every time you remove your old gloves, they are not to be used again. It’s been that rule in restaurants and FF joints for at least a couple of decades or more here.

You cannot put the gloves back once you’re taking them out unless they are a few numbers bigger.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

We just got handwashing stations set up at all of our sites. Nice to see some changes starting to happen.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I think large fast food franchises with strict policies would do this, such as McDonald’s and Wendy’s. Especially Chipotle since they had some food related sickness in the news last few years. Smaller mom and pop places they don’t follow all that. In this case the cashier acted also as an expediter, doing the final packaging which is the most dangerous because she was handling the napkins, plastic utensils, the side orders and drinks, all of those will be touched by the customer’s mouths and hands using the pair of gloves she wore all day long, handling every customers receipts, credit cards, pens, bills and coins.

I have even seen this rule broken at McDonalds’, the cashier handles the orders, the other folks got busy, and the orders are lining up on trays at the counter, except everyone is missing french fries because it’s in the fryer cooking. As soon as it’s done, the cashier goes over to remove the fryer, dump into the metal tray, do the salt shaking, then scooped up fryers and load into paper containers and added that onto each tray, then she yells out “192 is ready” probably spitting all over the food laying on the trays.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

You cannot put the gloves back once you’re taking them out unless they are a few numbers bigger.

LOL, even new disposable gloves (vinyl, nitrile etc…) are hard to put on once you removed the old pair, your fingers will collect moisture while the old pair was on, and once wet it’s almost impossible to put another pair on. Sometimes if I know I will be taking one off I put on two one over the other so when I have to take it off I just take the first one off to use the cleaner one under it.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Imagine a food truck or ice cream stand with a single operator, they can’t not handle payment and food separately, and they can’t put on new gloves every minute. Those are going to really spread the virus around.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.771 seconds