dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 299 total)
  • Author
    Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

All nonessential business will be closed in Quebec Province ( Ontario also if I’m not mistaken) starting with tomorrow afternoon.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

All nonessential business will be closed in Quebec Province ( Ontario also if I’m not mistaken) starting with tomorrow afternoon.

Yes it is the same for Ontario.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Yeah I believe so , I just found out today that the Tim Hortons at the shop, they said they would close Friday , I now wonder if it’s starting tomorrow 🤷

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

@boschmanbrian

The’ll close tomorrow at midnight.
    I was supposed to install tomorrow 8 windows.
    Now it’s canceled.

@Sorpa yeah I believe you are right , my wife’s company she is working for might close tomorrow night also , it’s a steel company , she is afraid to get laid off also this week , I’m not sure what is going to happen with me , I’ve heard that they may want to keep my department open , just because it’s military , still waiting for the word.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Update: Since I posted last night I’ve already found new information about the length of time the virus stays in your system and the risk of re-infection. Please check regularly with authoritative sources such as WHO, the CDC, Health Canada, and similar organizations where you live. More is being learned about the virus daily, and it will likely mutate, so it’s vital to stay informed of the latest knowledge. I’m not an expert, so don’t rely only on what I’ve written!

I haven’t been here lately, wanted to drop by and see how everyone is doing. Sorry to see some of you are already not working, and good wishes those who soon will be in the same boat. It’s refreshing to read a thread where people are recognizing and accepting how serious the global situation is, but are staying positive.

Great post to start the thread Chad. It’s important to emphasize that both customers and contractors need to be doing the right things to avoid spreading the virus during construction or maintenance.

Please allow me to summarize what I’ve learned while trying to use my laser to cut face shields for health care workers who are running out.

The virus enters humans through the mucous membranes – eye, nose, and mouth. The recommended practices are designed to cut transmission from a source of infection (sick person, contaminated surface) to those entry points.
    – Maintain 6ft/2m separation from anyone not in your direct contact group (defined below). >This distance is to prevent transmission by droplets through the air.
    – Disinfect ALL surfaces you contact, especially those also touched by other people. >Kill the virus so you don’t get it on your hands.
    – Wash your hands frequently and properly. >This is to remove the virus from your hands, should you have touched a contaminated surface (object or person)
    – Avoid touching your face. >This is to keep any virus on your hands away from the entry points to your body.

To build on what Chad and others have said, here’s a set of procedures for contractors.

1) Inform clients before starting a job that they MUST:
    – Relocate any items they will need while workers are present so that they can stay at least 6ft/2m away from the work area and the path workers will take to get from the entry to the work space.
    – Ventilate the work space as much as possible.
    – Disinfect all surfaces that workers may be required to touch immediately before work commences.
    – When workers arrive, point out the prepared path and boundaries of the prepared work space (while maintaining 6ft/2m separation)
    – Remain 6 ft/2m away from the work space and path while workers are present.
    – After workers leave, again disinfect the path and work-space.
    – Record the names of all workers who enter the location along with company contact information. They should also record the names of everyone they have present at the location.

2) Inform the client that you / your co-workers WILL:
    – Restrict their presence to the designated path and work area, or give the client time to adjust if additional access is required.
    – Maintain 6ft/2m separation from the client at all times.
    – Disinfect all surfaces they touch prior to leaving.
    – Provide names of all workers on site and company contact information.
    – Inform the client if any worker at their site, or anyone in their direct contact group, exhibit COVID-19 symptoms within 2 weeks of the last site visit.

3) Inform your staff:
    – The COVID-19 related procedures you give them are required.
    – They should politely remind clients of the necessary 6ft/2m distancing if it is not observed, and apologize if they accidentally breach it themselves.
    – They must inform the client that work will not continue if required distancing is repeatedly ignored.
    – They must respect the physical boundaries the client sets out, and ask permission and give the client time to adjust if it is necessary to move beyond those boundaries.
    – The work space and any surfaces touched along the path to the entry must be disinfected before leaving the property.
    – Tools, storage containers, bulk materials, and safety equipment which may be shared must be disinfected before working at a new location or with a new co-worker.
    – Symptoms of COVID-19 must be immediately reported.
    – Record daily the location(s) you worked, names of co-workers, and any other locations visited while working such as coffee shop or supplier.
    – Remember always that the situation is serious and people are stressed. If someone gets upset with you, try to stay calm while you resolve it. The issue may not be with you or your work at all.

You’re have to modify this for your particular circumstances – for example who records what names and where may be a privacy issue in the jurisdiction where you work, or may simply make people uncomfortable. In making any adjustments just bear in mind the principles about cutting the chain in personal infection that I listed above.

It’s equally important to apply the following principles in cutting the chain of infection in the population. No, actually it’s the essential set of principles to apply. The first list above is just basic personal hygiene when there’s an infectious disease going around. These principles below are about what do to when a highly contagious, deadly, hard to spot disease that no-one had immunity to is sweeping the entire planet. It is absolutely not a time for business as usual. If you were surprised by some of the procedures above, here’s the explanation.

People can be infected with COVID-19 but not have any symptoms. A test can tell if you are not infected at that moment, but you can get infected at any time after the test so it does not mean it’s safe for you to have contact with others. A test can also show you have had COVID-19 already. It doesn’t mean that you can’t pick up the virus from one contaminated surface and transfer it to another.
    Testing so far indicates the virus can survive up to about 3 hours in an aerosol, and on surfaces from 4 hours up to around 9 days. It takes 14 days from your last exposure to a viral source (aerosol or contact – the first list above) to be certain that you didn’t get infected.
    So if you isolate yourself, and perfectly disinfect your environment, you should be free of the virus in 2 weeks. You can now be in contact with anyone and not fear passing the virus to them. But unless the other person also self-isolated in a clean environment, and neither of you picked up the virus when you left isolation, you’re once again at risk for getting infected or transmitting the virus.

All this results in two principles:
    1) The speed and breadth of the virus’s spread can be limited if direct contact groups are as small as possible and as closed as possible.
    An individual’s direct contact group includes anyone who is not maintaining physical distancing of at least 6ft/2m at all times, or who is touching the same un-disinfected surfaces. For most people this will be their family or household.
    – It needs to be small because the virus can work its way through the group over time. Group of 1 ~ 14 days to be clear of virus. Group of 2 ~ 14 plus 14 days if person 1 has the virus and person 2 later gets infected from them. Group of 10 – do the math.
    – It needs to be closed because any member of one group who is also part of another group can transfer the virus between groups. The math gets complicated because you have to account for the size and number of connections between every group that isn’t closed, but it should be obvious that no connection is ideal, and 1 connection is dramatically better than 2.

2) If direct contact groups aren’t closed, tracking inter-group connections is the only option left to control the spread.
    Once an infected person is identified, their contacts are traced and isolated to break the chain of transmission.
    Realistically it’s impossible to isolate everyone in small closed groups. It’s virtually impossible to effectively track the spread of the virus when groups are large and have lots of overlap, which is the nature of most societies. When you keep groups small, and connections limited, it is dramatically easier and faster to determine who has been exposed to an infected person. Those people are isolated or tested, treated if necessary, and the chain of transmission is broken. That’s why governments are imploring people to reduce connections, and why the lack of testing is so serious.

It’s the reason the procedures above include recording names of workers on a job together, and who was there on the client side, and a worker’s daily diary for additional contacts. It means your operations should keep work crews together and not sharing equipment, and a different worker or crew shouldn’t be sent to an ongoing work location. If you keep work groups small, and connections limited and documented, it’s less likely the entire company will need to shut down because a single person tests positive.

I was going to include a bunch of references but there won’t be room in this post. Let me know if I need to back up anything I’ve said.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    Be safe everyone.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Excellent write up thank you. I’ll definitely be sharing some of that with the guys at work.

@whitehill
    Thanks for sharing this , definitely great information , I wish the a hole who was standing behind me the other day whilst we were waiting in line would have understood this

Thanks again

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Thanks kswiss. I was concerned about putting that quantity of information in one forum post. It’s great to know that you think it’s useful. My goal is to boil it down to an infographic that much more simply illustrates the two chains of transmission, and how to break them. I’ll post it here if it works out.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Hey Boschmanbrian, I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like the guy you encountered is the sort of person who inspired me to try producing a simple (as possible) explanation of how we can stop this thing. All the information is out there but I still haven’t found a concise version that shows how the things we are being asked or told to do work together, but are ineffective on their own. There’s so much information and mis-information available, it’s really hard for people to sort out.

mnak
    Pro

i used facemask as well as quarantine

Be careful with the type of facemask you use , especially makes a difference if you are positive or not , the ones with the exhaust flap are useless for someone who is infected , interesting information out there
    Keep safe
    It was my first day off work , today was the 35 the year I was working for the company , and the first day on unemployment 🤷‍♂️ , could be worse , not sure if it’s the stress from yesterday waiting in anticipation , that plus being on standby looking at my phone all night , my boss said because I’m working on the military projects , they might keep us working for essential service
    , Anyway I have a killer stiff neck today , guess it’s all the build up of stress ,
    Stay safe everyone

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

It’s an unsettling time.
    Here’s an article someone shared with me, maybe it will help.
    https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomfort-youre-feeling-is-grief?fbclid=IwAR1bwKlQ-_8RW9bNa2H813NSRH3FAkqf5fme6YiH7tn3l3p3fdOWKzdfHKQ

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

So back in the shop this morning , traffic was much much lighter than usual , two security guards at each entrance , called in for my hot work permit , the guard is wearing gloves , plus most of the people working on the floor ,

My boss came in to let me know if I prefer changing my shift or time , because we are supposed to have employees Diapered over the floor , in the 3 shifts , I’m pretty fortunate , seeing how I’m the only person who can work in the glass blowing area , I can pretty much do what ever time I want ,

We can not even sit down and eat in our cafeteria , we can go buy our lunch , but must bring it back to our work area

I heard there are only 10% left in the whole company.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

It’s an unsettling time.

Here’s an article someone shared with me, maybe it will help.

https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomfort-youre-feeling-is-grief?fbclid=IwAR1bwKlQ-_8RW9bNa2H813NSRH3FAkqf5fme6YiH7tn3l3p3fdOWKzdfHKQ

Nice article, thanks for sharing the link.

This is a strange and scary time….I would like to get back to work but I firmly believe that the way to beat this is to stay at home – for all of us to stay at home. Even with the restrictions we have in place, the numbers keep jumping.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Apparently people who wear masks end up touching their faces more which puts you at higher risk of surface transmission. Experts are still telling people that physical distancing and excellent hand hygiene are your best methods of avoiding contact.

Doobie

This is a strange and scary time….I would like to get back to work but I firmly believe that the way to beat this is to stay at home – for all of us to stay at home. Even with the restrictions we have in place, the numbers keep jumping.

I just hope President Trump starts listening to his experts on this, otherwise he said he’s thinking of lifting all of the constraints come Easter. I find it difficult to digest that he believes that there would be far more suicides from the financial strain of constraints on people’s lives than that of the virus going unchecked. I just don’t get that.

Let’s not get overtly political on this as I’m not stating this as a pro or counter political view of any political party here, but that is what the Commander in Chief is alluding to and there’s no ignoring that implication he stated if he carries thru in that direction in dealing with this deadly threat.

The preliminary estimated by experts minimum 2 million deaths I read about in the US a few weeks ago if it takes hold without strong intervention is in my mind not acceptable for the pursuit of offsetting what are deemed economic impacts/difficulties. Doesn’t having all those people die make for more dire financial/economic issues? God help those in charge to properly assess this before it is too late! I pray for you all if that’s the direction it takes in the US and he is woefully wrong about that direction to take. I have a feeling that he’ll change his mind. I hope so to be on the safe side for you all.

Doobie

Apparently people who wear masks end up touching their faces more which puts you at higher risk of surface transmission. Experts are still telling people that physical distancing and excellent hand hygiene are your best methods of avoiding contact.

Actually, just touching your mask negates the benefits of the mask from what a health practitioner was saying on TV yesterday along with some health practitioners I’ve spoken to about this.

For most people, a face mask is simply something that makes them feel better wearing a mask. Once you touch your mask, you should toss it according to nurses and such I’ve spoken to.

The other problem is that if you don’t have eye protection, the mask alone has proven mostly useless for airborne droplets.

The other day I was carrying about and realized how incredibly hard it is to not touch one’s face. I had touched some surface that I was concerned about and could not wash my hands til I got home. In the 30 minutes I traveled I inadvertently must have touched my face a dozen times even though I tried to think not to do so while I was making my way home driving and unloading the car with my errands. It’s like trying not to blink for many of us.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I just hope President Trump starts listening to his experts on this, otherwise he said he’s thinking of lifting all of the constraints come Easter. I find it difficult to digest that he believes that there would be far more suicides from the financial strain of constraints on people’s lives than that of the virus going unchecked. I just don’t get that.

Let’s not get overtly political on this as I’m not stating this as a pro or counter political view of any political party here, but that is what the Commander in Chief is alluding to and there’s no ignoring that implication he stated if he carries thru in that direction in dealing with this deadly threat.

The preliminary estimated by experts minimum 2 million deaths I read about in the US a few weeks ago if it takes hold without strong intervention is in my mind not acceptable for the pursuit of offsetting what are deemed economic impacts/difficulties. Doesn’t having all those people die make for more dire financial/economic issues? God help those in charge to properly assess this before it is too late! I pray for you all if that’s the direction it takes in the US and he is woefully wrong about that direction to take. I have a feeling that he’ll change his mind. I hope so to be on the safe side for you all.

There is a tremendous push here to lift restrictions and let work start back up. I have heard the arguments for sides of the issue and they both have valid points. I just feel that with the virus being such an unknown quantity and looking at how the pandemic is growing even with the restrictions….I believe that lifting the restrictions is a recipe for disaster. I know there will be economic consequences…if my car insurance gets cancelled, if my truck gets repossessed, if my electric gets turned off,I will survive – none of those are truly essential. As long as when this is all over myself, my loved ones, my friends, and as many people around the world as possible are healthy and alive I am good with that.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

@Sorpa yeah something like that , my friend is a plumber there , he texted me yesterday , and sent me a video , it’s pretty Erie looking , it reminded me of the time when I started at the company , they sent me with the truck driver to another company that was shutting down to pick up a forklift they bought , the company was huge but empty , it was kinda spooky , the only difference is at our shop we still have the lights on , the other place I went to was only on safety/security lighting.

@RonW
    I responded to whitehill but I guess it went to junk or waiting moderation 🤷‍♂️👍

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 299 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.625 seconds