dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 269 total)
  • Author

@Sorpa yeah the company is going to send in all the formos paperwork straight to UI and apparently they will wave the 2 weeks delay , it’s not supposed to be to long , but judging by the way it’s been going in China , I think it’s going to be a few months 🤷‍♂️

I filed for unemployment yesterday, should start getting it in 3 or 4 weeks…Unemployment compensation is a big pay cut from what I was making but we will get by. I’m hoping it isn’t long before we get back to business as usual but, like Brian said, better safe than sorry for a few extra dollars.

Sorry to hear about you getting cut also Chad, , definitely not the same salary , but like you said we’ll get by , yeah hopefully it won’t last all summer , good luck to you and your family , stay safe 👍👊

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

@boschmanbrian same to you and yours. I hope it doesn’t last that long but if it does, it does…The important thing is to get to the other side of this.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

@ChadM thanks Chad , you are right that’s the most important thing to do.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I hope all works out for everyone. In Minnesota, we are still working for now, I hope it stays that way. If things do get shut down, I do have a lot of cleanup and equipment repairs I can do at the shop. I just hope I will be able to get the parts I need to make the repairs and stuff.

I also have a tone of woodworking projects I have put off for a long time that I would like to do, I guess I could work that stuff in also.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

@boschmanbrian

You can start looking for some renovations if you get bored.

@Sorpa
    Hahaha yeah , my wife has that covered lol
    Actually today just came back from the echo center , another run of things to get rid of ,
    Now we have a few bags of clothes for the red Cross or the diabetes foundation , then some other things to donate , Christmas decorations and a few little pieces of furniture we will donate.
    I told my wife , declutter and clean up before I start working around the house ,

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa
    ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Major explosion of cases in my area this month

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/21/us/coronavirus-us-cases-spread.html

Ohio’s case count is growing also…we now have several confirmed cases in my local area.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

We are still working at my plant for now. The company has been giving updates on what is going on almost everyday. They have hired 2 security guards to check employees and delivery drivers temperatures before entering the building. I don’t see us shutting down anytime soon.
    My wife has only worked one day this week. She has worked alittle from home this week.

With it being announced on the news this week that there is 2 cases Covod-19 in our area. So it is just starting here. So I don’t see it ending anytime soon.

Sorry to hear about the ones that are out of work or being laid off. Take care and stay healthy.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Major explosion of cases in my area this month

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/21/us/coronavirus-us-cases-spread.html

Ohio’s case count is growing also…we now have several confirmed cases in my local area.

Growing in Tennessee as well. 340 cases as of yesterday. That number almost double from the day before.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

It’s getting worse day by day

Yeah , it’s scary stuff , some people are just not talking it serious enough ,

i live in NJ and our governor declared all non-essential jobs to stay home or work from home but thankfully he declared construction as “essential” along with manufacturing trucking etc. they have limited crew numbers to 20, but the job i’m at we only have like 7 on our crew anyway. this job is supposed to finish up in a few weeks anyway. then i’ll probably headed to do some bridge work

Doobie

Went thru a drive thru today so that wifey could have a coffee despite my objections that we should probably avoid doing such a thing. After we did that, I realized all the ways that we could be getting ourselves infected or that we could be infecting the Starbucks people if we’re infected ouselves. No more drive-thrus was the consensus from here on. Things like a simple coffee need to be made and home til this over.

Doobie

I can’t figure out all this huge toilet paper necessity.

What triggered that madness is beyond me.

Possibilities I thought of….

– People thought getting the virus involved a lot of number two happening.

– A ‘monkey see monkey do’ sort of thing. Probably started on the internet somewhere and this thought went viral.

– People maybe never knew toilet paper existed and jumped at buying as much as they could to finally abandon using newsprint and old magazines instead.

Hey, here’s something I thought was rather creative some guy posted on the Canadian Woodworking Forum this past week.

Toilet-Paper-Trap

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Went thru a drive thru today so that wifey could have a coffee despite my objections that we should probably avoid doing such a thing. After we did that, I realized all the ways that we could be getting ourselves infected or that we could be infecting the Starbucks people if we’re infected ouselves. No more drive-thrus was the consensus from here on. Things like a simple coffee need to be made and home til this over.

I have stopped going threw drive thru’s last week. I took a thermos of coffee with me one day last week as I had some time kill before work.

Wifey was at local grocery store today and there is still some bare shelves and there wasn’t any frozen veggies.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Luckily, other than occasionally picking up a coffee, I have never been a big drive thru user. We have stopped eating outside of the house entirely for two reasons; 1) even though it is all carry out now, there is a lot of risk – you are eating food prepared by someone else 2) now that I am not working, and may not be for some time, we need to watch our expenses.

The governor of Ohio announced a stay at home order yesterday. The order is essentially a slighter stronger version of his original shut down of non essential jobs and is in place until April 6. I expect this order to be extended past that date and quite possibly to be replaced by a stronger order. There are still huge amounts of people not taking this very seriously and acting as if all was normal. My opinion is, even if you do not think this is as serious as it is being presented – why not err on the side of caution?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

My wife was hell bent over ordering Greek yesterday , I told her we can just make pasta 🤷‍♂️, we ordered out , but I was still reluctant , wiped down everything just the same ,
    I have a box of nitrile gloves and a few dust masks in the entrance , plus I have 3 of the 3 m mask’s , and the obvious plastic container of Lysol wipes ,
    I make my coffee every morning before I go to work , but usually buy another cup for my break at the shop , it’s just strange driving to work and around for groceries , Roads are bare ,

Doobie

This is something that I circulated to all my immediate clients as part of an directive on how to deal with their dealings with me on a go-forward basis to consider.

I ommited the pre-text that deals specifically with their affairs I’m involved with them. This was an an addendum of sorts of what they should consider in all this.

On another note I’d like to share of my thoughts of some of the impacts and what I THINK will be happening from here on in with this Covid-19 Crisis, and it is a crisis in my opinion. If you’ve been fluffing this off, DON’T!

– It’s too late already to ‘incubate it’. At this point it’s all about controlling the time rate of spread, hence the controls they already have in place. This is very similar to the Spanish Influenza that happened 100 years ago that killed 30 million people, but in those days, we didn’t have the technology/apprehension we have today but we didn’t have a vaccine either for it either nor did they in 1918 also back then.
    Watch the repeat 1998 Spanish Influenza PBS broadcast I saw this week linked below. Scary stuff kids. Observe what they are telling us because in my mind this is no different except they didn’t have as dense a population issue and circulation of people as we do nowadays and the planet only had one fifth the population we have today and it never even spread much beyond North America and Europe largely due to WW1 happening and Woodrow Wilson electing to send troop ships overseas anyways.

– Expect the government to close all non-essential business real soon. This includes things like getting your car repaired, your hair being cut, garden centers, fast food joints, etc. It’s hard to say how far it will extend, but anything drive thru for food will probably get nixed real soon. They wouldn’t even take our McDonalds coupons in the drive thru the other day. They said ‘Just keep it’.

– Be vigilant. Stay safe distances from people. They are identifying that some infected people show no symptoms. Yet they are infected. Read up on how to protect yourself from sources other than ‘fake news’ social media either thru WHO, the CDC, or the Government of Canada or if you are in the US get it from bonafide US government/state/regional trusted sources. This is not an avenue for fake/unqualified news infection of information. This is life or death stuff!

The Globe and Mail here in Canada which is normally a subscriber based access online paper allows anything Covid-19 to be ACCESIBLE TO ALL and I’ve found has some excellent articles on such related to the Covid-19 virus.
    – Don’t trust …. ‘I don’t have the virus, so I’m OK’ in dealing with people you encounter. This virus is insidious in that it is a very slow manifesting virus unlike SARS or MERS which had higher death rates, but were much more virulent in showing their victims symptoms very fast once contracted. This one can lurk for up to two weeks never mind those who are infected and are propagating it and don’t even know it.

– Of all the people that get seriously affected by the virus which seems to be in the 20% range, almost half of them need to be on respirators at some point for their recovery. There is nowhere near the amount of respiratory ventilators to go around once certain numbers are achieved and all countries have already imposed non-export of medical devices to other countries of medical supplies now and in Canada we have no company that makes ventilators within our borders and hence our government is working to gain proprietor access in design to have third party companies here in Canada to retool their manufacturing to make such things as respiratory ventilators and other essential safety supplies for those in the health care industry at a ramped up pace to provide for what they know will be the need for all these things in the coming weeks/months as the virus spreads as they know it will. We’re being spoon fed this disaster folks.

– Expect the school closures here in Ontario to go beyond the currently announced April 5th deadline and the kids get their education online. I strongly suspect that this school year is an ‘at home’ education from here on in.

Sorry if I’m scarring the crap out of some of you or spelling out bad news you haven’t thought of yourselves. I want my clients to be informed and diligent for themselves and also their communities.

I think this is at a minimum a 5 month affair up to 10 months depending how the variables and efforts work out. This is my somewhat layman’s thought on this and should not supersede what real pros in this area advise otherwise.

This thing is no joke. Watch reliable sources for this and not social media garbage.

Here’s the aforementioned PBS special rebroadcast of an 1998 episode and how the 1918 Spanish Influenza was. Scary the parallels already.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/influenza/

Other sources mentioned…

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/topics/coronavirus/

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 269 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.531 seconds