dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 421 through 440 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Work it out this way..

Covid infection overall gets one or two out of hundred of you. Really is bad some where they die, but most survive 98% of the time.

Covid starts getting more than that ratio, especially if seen in frail old seniors. Still no big deal, but some eyebrows get raised, for some it doesn’t seem to be of concern, just normal course of like this stuff. Many feel it’s now of no consequence to begin with

Covid morphes further and says ‘change of game plan’ “I’m maturing and will change the way I attack in a dramatic way…hehehe’. Now we get unchallenged victims and a host of poorly interpreted ‘yesterday’ readings which will bring us to points we will flourish further before they even know what is going on!

This is the next stages where Covid can speak for itself…

“Stupid arses they are, we’ve gotten mutated variants amongst them, that while they are more acute to younger generations than our nascent version, we know this is a good curve in against their game plan and will distort their attempts with where they focus against us best which done til now are now practically useless. Such a bunch of idiots!”

“And look how this is so different now. Back in the old days, it was all about covering it up and blaming other folks in lands far away for them. Now it’s also foolishly about either ignoring it entirely or letting us run our course. How stupid can you be with us…we just want to kill you! What is it you don’t get about that?”

Next stage could maybe read as this….

“Now that we’ve shown them we could attack any age group, let’s go after these dum-dums who think they originally got vaccined and are not prone to our variants after so many months never mind the host of anti-vaxers out there or lazy arses who simply didn’t bother otherwise to get their vaccine.

Heck, these kinds of pandemics have always gone for 4 years or more at the very least. Don’t care if they’ve got this thing called medical science going since our last Hooray doing this…. Ha! They’re all in no man’s land figuring us out. We’ve been at it for millennia’s, they just entered the kitchen yesterday…hehehe!”

Just thinking it…FWIW.

Just went for a rapid covid19 test that the company is offering , it’s done by an external company ,
    Easy enough , nice to be able to get this testing

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Just went for a rapid covid19 test that the company is offering , it’s done by an external company ,

That is great that your company is offering rapid testing. I have heard of this before. Just not sure how it works.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

That is great that your company is offering rapid testing. I have heard of this before. Just not sure how it works.

Yeah it’s pretty good , was in and out in 15 minutes , disinfect my hands , they give you a sterile qtip , just put the q tip in about 3/4 of an inch inside the nose , wiping all around the nostril , and then do it again on the other side , they call you in 15 minutes to an hour if you are positive , if not , they don’t contact you

I can get it done twice a week

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Yeah it’s pretty good , was in and out in 15 minutes , disinfect my hands , they give you a sterile qtip , just put the q tip in about 3/4 of an inch inside the nose , wiping all around the nostril , and then do it again on the other side , they call you in 15 minutes to an hour if you are positive , if not , they don’t contact you

I can get it done twice a week

Sounds like quick easy process. Nice not having go to testing center. There can be some long line ups.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Looks like here in Ontario we are going to have more Stricker rules. Rumor has it that government will be making announcement this afternoon. As our numbers are on the rise.

Greg

Looks like here in Ontario we are going to have more Stricker rules. Rumor has it that government will be making announcement this afternoon. As our numbers are on the rise.

Yeah yesterday was another record number for you guys in Ontario ,

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Absolutely amazing:

Yesterday, lumber futures hit $1,260 per thousand board feet on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. If that sounds like a lot, well, it is—an all-time high.

Lumber prices have soared during the pandemic. Last April, that same order would’ve cost just $358.

If you think this doesn’t affect you…you probably haven’t been house hunting recently. Astronomical lumber prices have added $24,000 to the cost of a typical single-family home and $9,000 per apartment, according to the National Association of Home Builders.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Absolutely amazing:

Yesterday, lumber futures hit $1,260 per thousand board feet on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. If that sounds like a lot, well, it is—an all-time high.

Lumber prices have soared during the pandemic. Last April, that same order would’ve cost just $358.

If you think this doesn’t affect you…you probably haven’t been house hunting recently. Astronomical lumber prices have added $24,000 to the cost of a typical single-family home and $9,000 per apartment, according to the National Association of Home Builders.

It is crazy , not just building new , but even house prices in general have gone crazy , bidding wars and even people dropping house inspection just to be able to be first on the buying list , around here , they don’t even stay on the market for a week
    Honestly I don’t know how and where people are getting the money 🤷‍♂️ , I have a feeling people are living above their budget , this could be a disaster waiting to happen 🤞

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

It is crazy , not just building new , but even house prices in general have gone crazy , bidding wars and even people dropping house inspection just to be able to be first on the buying list , around here , they don’t even stay on the market for a week
    Honestly I don’t know how and where people are getting the money , I have a feeling people are living above their budget , this could be a disaster waiting to happen

I agree…lumber prices skyrocketing, the real estate market going crazy, people buying above their means…history has shown us what this leads to. Hopefully, it does not end in another crash but a bubble can only swell so much before it bursts.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Yeah yesterday was another record number for you guys in Ontario ,

Yes we are setting records.

The Govt put in stricter guidelines yesterday. It looks like it is going get worse before it gets better. We are seeing alot of protests the last few days. There was a protest the other day locally. I expect to see the numbers on the rise. Honestly not sure what to think anymore.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Absolutely amazing:

Honestly I don’t know how and where people are getting the money 🤷‍♂️ , I have a feeling people are living above their budget , this could be a disaster waiting to happen 🤞

I know that some people are selling there homes in the bigger cities and moving to the smaller area where houses are much cheaper. I know some houses here have Sold for $150 000 over asking.
    Last year when we were looking for a house our agent told us. That most agents are listing house with lower listing price to drive up the price. Also they are holding viewings 3 to 5 days on the homes. Then accepting offers on the house for one day.
    This what we had go thru last yeah. We were tied for the 2nd best offer. The home owner turned down $30 000 more then our asking price as there was too many conditions. We increased our offer buy $2500 and got the house.

I have also heard that with people working from has let move to different areas and buy homes.

Trying to find a place to rent has been difficult. We were told that homes that have walkout basements or in law suites are selling like crazy. People are buying these a investment properties

Greg

Doobie

Just to comment on some said in this thread recently…

Had my AstraZenica first shot early in April not wanting to wait for the gov warranted other vaccines available. Got bad reactions and was out for a few days with fever and lethargy lasting for at least three days if not more. Still glad I got it, I don’t want to die!

Wifey just got it yesterday (AstraZeneca) afternoon and in the middle of the night is out of sorts with a rising fever. They say one third of folks get adverse reactions like this, doubt that is published or is in fact accurate, no real basis in saying that stat, but it makes me wonder if it is in fact true as the norm with this. FWIW on that matter.

Lumber prices are triple on reg stuff like 2X4s and double and a bit on Sheathing from just before Covid. PT is off the charts and largely un-available.

Planning my projects accordingly largely waiting on what I hope will be price drops come at the earliest this late summer or early fall.

May extend to next year…

Watch for a frenzied stock market still, which has already happened to a large extent, but will continue til gov stimulus has been ‘consumer spent’ going into the fall and then a major ‘shock’ in consumer spending should it occur in a post pandemic environment diminish to nil once we may hit a wall of sorts.

This would be even worse if the virus gets another hold into beyond this year. Economic collapse will ensue. There is only so much markets will maintain in this regard.

Where to park your money? Go back to boring GICs which I hardly ever had to do for any clients nowadays, but be careful where you place them. Avoid 2nd tier banks, (Not sure how to describe second tier banks for US folks). Banks that typically offer better interest rates, but are not as solid as BIGGER banks.

When to do all this, if you follow this doctrine. CRAP SHOOT! It may never happen. But if it does, why are you being so greedy in staying the course? Sit on the sidelines for a year or so in repositioning yourselves more conservatively. Wait. Then dive back in to the markets ‘gradually’. At the end of the day, it’s not about what you earned, it’s about what you’ve got! Preservation of capital.

I can babble on about this stuff to ad nausea, I won’t. Fundamentals in play here. Save what you can….invest prudently….diversify….DON’t BE GREEDY! What am I missing here? Basic fundamentals in protecting one’s wealth.

Wish I could expand further and even tailor advice individually, but I can’t!

FWIW. Kev

I have heard from work colleges that have received the AstraZenica vaccine , about a 1/4 of them had similar symptoms , fever and physically out of it , but back to the so called normal after about 5 days

Xrp , dogecoin and ethereum
    Have been making some money 💸

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

invest prudently

Are churches a good investment?…lol.

I think we got in just before the price increases in this part of the world. We are getting bookings for rooms though. So far 2 of them are booked for 4 months and a third pending. Forest fire workers are coming in for the season.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Invest in pharma? Now that they are going to make us do vaccine the rest of our lives every year a new dose.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

invest prudently

Are churches a good investment?…lol.

I think we got in just before the price increases in this part of the world. We are getting bookings for rooms though. So far 2 of them are booked for 4 months and a third pending. Forest fire workers are coming in for the season.

I would say you made a good investment. Nice to you are getting the rooms booked up.

Greg

Invest in pharma? Now that they are going to make us do vaccine the rest of our lives every year a new dose.

Sounds like a good idea 💡

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

The wife had both doses of Moderna. Minor soreness at injection area for 1 day. Son got 1st dose Pfizer, same for him, minor soreness. Myself, from everything I’ve read…and that’s a lot, prefer the Pfizer given the choice. Unfortunately as of now you don’t have a choice so I’m holding off. I do have concerns for reasons I won’t go into for now, but I’m going to get tested. They just opened a testing site 2 minutes from my house. I went today but they closed up early! I’ll go again tomorrow

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Honestly I don’t know how and where people are getting the money , I have a feeling people are living above their budget , this could be a disaster waiting to happen

I agree…lumber prices skyrocketing, the real estate market going crazy, people buying above their means…history has shown us what this leads to. Hopefully, it does not end in another crash but a bubble can only swell so much before it bursts.

Even with the lumber prices, things in our area are still selling. We are busy as heck and should be for the rest of the year or more.

Even with he extra lumber costs, doing something mow vs in a year can still be a savings or a wash depending on what interest does. A 1% jump in rates makes the payment on a 300K house the same as a 265K house with the rate 1% higher.

Viewing 20 posts - 421 through 440 (of 469 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.402 seconds