dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

So far so good, no cancellations this week. Customers are ok with us coming to install the windows.

In my opinion, if you have customers who present symptoms or who you know traveled recently, talk to them and explain that you need to protect your employees, give up on the respective jobs. Or make a compromise with the customer to have no contact if possible. When it comes to those who want to suspend construction temporarily, first explain to them that all cautionary measures will be taken, and if they’re still not OK with it, then suspend activity until the pandemic craze fades. It’s better for all of us to be understanding and solidary with one another for a while for this to end as soon as possible.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Our governor has asked all employers to check temperatures at the start of each day. Gonna have to see if I can get a forehead thermometer from a pharmacy today. I heard they were already in short supply. Only 3 of us, and our work is outdoors, so the risk of transmission is very low.

Well it’s definitely empty at the shop , apparently tomorrow they won’t be taking cash at our Tim Hortons , only debit
    We have a on line meeting with the president tomorrow morning , I’m wondering what they will decide to do , our stocks dropped like crazy , and people are concerned about working while other family members are home , worried about bringing home the virus

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Our company will be starting to check our temperature today. We found this out yesterday after a update meeting we had. They have removed alot chairs in lunchroom. They have the chairs set up in groups of 4 with 6ft spacing.
    Honestly I am concerned about bringing home to my family also.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Well it’s definitely empty at the shop , apparently tomorrow they won’t be taking cash at our Tim Hortons , only debit

We have a on line meeting with the president tomorrow morning , I’m wondering what they will decide to do , our stocks dropped like crazy , and people are concerned about working while other family members are home , worried about bringing home the virus

Cotsco takes cash. For how long I don’t know.

@Sorpa I bet it won’t be much longer , just went to the IGA and the vet for pet food , pretty good job both places are doing to keep the virus from spreading , also the saq (that’s our liquer store) just after I left , the manager was at the door , controlling the amount of people who entered the store.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

The governor of Pennsylvania (where I work) has just ordered that all “non-life sustaining businesses” shut down…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

The governor of Pennsylvania (where I work) has just ordered that all “non-life sustaining businesses” shut down…

That looks like some sort of state of emergency.

Clev08
    Pro

Firehouse Subs for lunch today was empty, but so far we don’t have any cases in our County so most things work wise are fairly normal still.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Yeah, and the order was open ended – no time frame on it…So there are a lot of people who are going to be out work for what may be a long time. I would imagine that a lot of small business, not just construction, are not going to be able to weather this and still exist as a business by the time it is all said and done.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Yeah, and the order was open ended – no time frame on it…So there are a lot of people who are going to be out work for what may be a long time. I would imagine that a lot of small business, not just construction, are not going to be able to weather this and still exist as a business by the time it is all said and done.

Looks like more states will follow in the near future.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Looks like more states will follow in the near future.

It does look that way – California is on total lockdown.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

It is very unfortunate that like you mentioned Chad , probably lots of little Mom and Dad stores might not survive this ,
    I wonder what would have happened if it hit us earlier say like January in the middle of winter , that would have made it even crazier for people to get out and get food and supplies , especially the older generation. I’ll start to get ready to hear from our president over the internet on what he has to say , rumor had it we had an engineer here last week that was tested positive 🙄🤷‍♂️

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

From Email chains I am on and blogs, it looks like the following states / areas have shut down construction sites.
    Pennsylvania
    Boston
    Parts of New Jersey outside NYC
    California.

I think this will create great hardships for many small businesses. the employees can draw on Unemployment but the owners cannot.

I am also hearing a lot of jurisdictions are not inspecting at all, only inspecting unoccupied structures, not inspecting small items and others are business as usual.

Quite a disparity of how places are handling things

After hearing from our president , he said we basically are an essential service , so we are supposed to stay open , plenty of mixed emotions from the shop floor , an hour after his speech , we started hearing from our supervisor and getting notifications for laying off people , looks like it’s going to happen sooner than later , next week it will make 35 years I’ve been here , still waiting to hear what’s going on with our department ,

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

After hearing from our president , he said we basically are an essential service , so we are supposed to stay open , plenty of mixed emotions from the shop floor , an hour after his speech , we started hearing from our supervisor and getting notifications for laying off people , looks like it’s going to happen sooner than later , next week it will make 35 years I’ve been here , still waiting to hear what’s going on with our department ,

Bad news everywhere.

@Sorpa yup I received my papers today , they basically closed out the department , no production , just support , apparently it’s only for approximately 3 weeks , and maybe a few more ,

I will accept the layoff with open arms. I’ve been working longer hours and weekends for a while now , I could actually use the break , financially my wife and I are okay , this gives me quality time with my daughter , and wife , besides better safe than sorry for a few extra $$

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

@boschmanbrian

Are you going to get registered with chomage or waiting to be called back?

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I filed for unemployment yesterday, should start getting it in 3 or 4 weeks…Unemployment compensation is a big pay cut from what I was making but we will get by. I’m hoping it isn’t long before we get back to business as usual but, like Brian said, better safe than sorry for a few extra dollars.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.671 seconds