dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 281 through 300 (of 328 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse wrote:

(3) Now this box once put inside, is left in a staging area for at least a week, because staff thinks it needs to wait a few days for the virus to die off. So they wait at least ONE WEEK.

That seems like a bit much considering that the virus doesn’t survive on paper for more than hours and MAYBE up to 48 hours on smoothish surfaces. Hmmmm!

It does make you wonder really. I know some people handling things differently.

I yet figure out why people need to wear a mask while driving there car and they are the only one in it.

I do get that this virus is serious.

Maybe it’s like myself , I will wear my mask when I run into a store , but at times I found I forget to remove it while I started driving away , could be similar for those people we see driving , or might be kinda paranoid about constantly touching their faces and masks 🤷‍♂️

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

We have not had to much problem with permits but we have not had any big ones go in, just several smaller ones. The nitc thing here is that previously, they never allowed us to use credit cards for permit fee’s. Now they will allow it up to $1,000. It makes it a lot easier than always making sure you have a check with you.

Payment is not an issue with us because we have an electronic version of the payment system. Once your permit is submitted you can pay via the web site with a credit card or mail in a check.

I wonder if you mail in a check whether that check is put aside for a week to decontaminate.

Imagine going to a bank to deposit $1000 of cash and they say to you they need to let the cash you bring in sit for a week before they can touch to count them LOL.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That seems like a bit much considering that the virus doesn’t survive on paper for more than hours and MAYBE up to 48 hours on smoothish surfaces. Hmmmm!

Scientists discovered the virus is detectable for up to three hours in aerosols, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.

That’s the issue with so many sources with so many numbers when the revise it sometimes it’s political too makes people distrust the government’s official guidelines.

In the beginning they said no need for masks just social distance. But you see all the Asian countries people wearing masks wherever they go. More densely populated yes, bit still makes you wonder. Then it came out that the reason they say no masks needed is because they don’t have enough masks for health care providers, not because it’s not needed. When they can’t reconcile that story they pivoted and said they found those with no symptoms who could spread unknowingly so may be masks are good, then everyone started to require masks. Social distance of 6′ is safe, yet newer study said they are now considering recommending 18′ because the virus can hang in the air for a while, instead of the previous thinking that droplets from cough and talk will fall to the ground over a distance of 6′. So I guess everyone just makes something up to fit their own comfort level. I don’t know if there are good or bad answers. I let my mail sit for a day after delivery before I remove them out of the mail box just before the mailman comes by.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

In the beginning they said no need for masks just social distance. But you see all the Asian countries people wearing masks wherever they go

Also have to remember that a lot of people in the larger cities in Asia have worn masks for a long time because of air pollution.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Also have to remember that a lot of people in the larger cities in Asia have worn masks for a long time because of air pollution.

Actually Asians don’t wear masks because of air pollution. I spent ten years living in Singapore, Taipei and Hong Kong, no one wear mask because of air pollution. They do typically put on a mask when they are sick out of courtesy because social distancing is impossible in these big cities, and if they have a cold or flu they don’t take the day off, they still go to work, because taking time off for minor illness is seen as being undedicated, and also many companies do not have dedicated sick days, so if you get 12 days of paid leave a year, that’s all you get, you can use it for sick days or go on vacation, your choice. Most choose to keep their time off for vacation and avoid burning them on sick leaves.

Of course, when SARS hit Asia in 2003, everything changed. Asian people are more paranoid on any news or rumors of virus outbreak, so even back in December I started to hear news brewing in Asia of this “new SARS” trickled out of China, but the news were suppressed in China, however widely reported in Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan. They all started to wear masks then, fearing another wave of SARS. Masks actually went off the shelves quickly and I had a friend from Singapore who asked me to find masks for him over in the USA and send some to him, that was in early January 2020, way before anyone was worried about outbreak in North America. I went to two CVS and two Walgreens stores, and there were no masks on the shelves. I was really surprised, because no one was looking for masks here then, this was way before the first case in the USA. All the masks were already pulled off the shelves here because Asian countries were paying big bucks to get them anyway they can.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Just as things are starting to get back to normal at work. The blue XL nitrile gloves we use at work have been outstock for a few weeks now. I notice today on the box other size gloves that they Made in China for a company here in Ontario

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

@Miamicuse Singapore beautiful place , spent a few months in Singapore installing a A4 jet simulator at the military training center
    I have been reading about the covid19 , and apparently they have satellite images of hospitals and other areas clinics and so , showing huge difference in people , so they said it actually was starting in around September 🤷‍♂️ but they obviously were trying to keep it under control
    Obviously didn’t work.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

yeah there are talks this virus was already in action sooner than December 2019 January 2020. You are talking about the Harvard report that looked at big data such as hospital parking lot photo as well as that Wuhan seafood market parking and deduced that something was happening way sooner than they disclosed. That report was blasted by the Chinese government as “baseless” LOL. What a mess.

yeah there are talks this virus was already in action sooner than December 2019 January 2020. You are talking about the Harvard report that looked at big data such as hospital parking lot photo as well as that Wuhan seafood market parking and deduced that something was happening way sooner than they disclosed. That report was blasted by the Chinese government as “baseless” LOL. What a mess.

Hahaha yeah , talk about a cover up of sorts

Doobie

I’m shocked! A ‘People’s’ government lying? Hard to believe. Fake news! Who the heck is this smarty-pants Harvard guy anyways. 🙈

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We just got a 15 page document From the Department of Labor and Industry on what we need to do to keep jobsites safe from Covid – 19. The funny thing is that all along we have been considered an essential industry and allowed to work, now 90 days into this we have to develop a plan to keep our worksites safe.

Seems like someone was a little behind the 8 ball on this one.

I read through the document and it really relates to large jobsites that are months or years in duration and really is unpractical for a company like ours. we have 2 employees right not, a father and a son, so social distancing is really not a factor, they live together. They require significant signage on jobs, but out jobs are mostly a couple of days to a couple of weeks. so much of what they want is really unpractical for a small company, limit crews on a jobsite to 10 or less employees. I have never had 10 employees. We typically try to only have one trade on site at a time so we are already doing a lot of what they require.

We are also not in a major metro area where there is a lot more cases. There is a lot of mixing in public as it is, but a father and son cannot mix on a jobsite?

Doobie

This is the second warning I hear about from a small independent lumber provider in Ontario announcing difficulties in getting pressure treated lumber. Neither have given a reason why though or tentative dates on when they will get more.

Peacock

Attachments:
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The PT lumber shortage, or in some area general lumber shortage too is real.

It is caused by the COVID-19 mess.

First of all, with the stay at home orders, many people are stuck at home and decided “hey what else can I do? let me replace that fence or that deck.” and so there were/are a lot more construction activities going on then usual.

On top of that, they initially deemed the construction industry “essential”, but forestry and lumber mills were “non-essential”, plus one of the lumber mill in the NE closed down due to positive cases of workers. So you have the current shortage.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

This is the second warning I hear about from a small independent lumber provider in Ontario announcing difficulties in getting pressure treated lumber. Neither have given a reason why though or tentative dates on when they will get more.

Peacock

I did know this. Makes senses.

I at work we have been waiting for this one product for over a month now. Last I heard it might arrive in July.

Greg

Doobie

First of all, with the stay at home orders, many people are stuck at home and decided “hey what else can I do? let me replace that fence or that deck.” and so there were/are a lot more construction activities going on then usual.

On top of that, they initially deemed the construction industry “essential”, but forestry and lumber mills were “non-essential”, plus one of the lumber mill in the NE closed down due to positive cases of workers. So you have the current shortage.

That would make sense why. Fortunately, I don’t think I’ll need any PT anytime soon. Maybe in a few months depending how much progress my multiple outdoor projects move along with a deck build being the last on my list of bigp rojects to build outside.

That is a good point , so far I have not had any issues here yet picking up treated wood ,
    I’ve only been buying about a dozen 2×6 and 2x4s so far nothing short
    I’ll try getting some 6×6 posts in the next few days.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

We have had some minor issues locally with the availability of PT lumber but nothing too bad – hopefully it stays that way.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We have had some minor issues locally with the availability of PT lumber but nothing too bad – hopefully it stays that way.

That’s too bad, probably a shipping problem. We are having trouble with some auto parts taking longer than usual to arrive.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Honestly the they way the put that lumber through those sawmills. You wouldn’t there would be a shortage for that long.
    I haven’t heard of any shortages in my area yet. It has been awhile since I have been to the lumber yards.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

This past Friday are local Health Unit put a policy in place that face covering must be worn in commercial business.

Where I work it is a Industrial business not a commercial. But are plant manager has put a policy in place for face covering in the plant. There seems to be 2 different policies for production workers and office staff. The production workers have to wear a face covering from the time the walk in the plant until they leave other then when they are on breaks & lunch. From what I hear that office staff only has to wear face coverings when they leave there office or when someone enters there office.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 281 through 300 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.541 seconds