dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 468 total)
  • Author

Jobsites here in Alberta are starting to scan workers with a laser thermometer before they are allowed to enter. Haven’t seen anything in the news about it just started here in the past week or so.

That’s a good idea , can’t be that expensive , and adds an extra sense of security. Wish they would be doing that here.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Maybe something that you could bring up/suggest, Brian?

Maybe something that you could bring up/suggest, Brian?

Most definitely will , thanks Kyle , I’ll suggest it to the security today

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

The few factories that are still open around here do the same…take every employees temp as they walk in the door. A friend of mine is a superintendent at a paper mill that makes products for the steel industry – he said that any employee with a temperature over 99°f is sent home.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

@boschmanbrian

I think it’s around $30 in special at canadian tire.
    The infrared thermometer that is.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Today at Noon, The National Association of Homebuilders is staging a Nationwide 10 minute Stand Down to take time to educate/refresh employees in the field on the safe work practices for working in this environment.

Back in the SARS days, mid 2004ish, I was in China and Hong Kong and at the border going into China, you had to roll down your windows and everyone in the car was laser scanned to check temperature.

Going from China to Hong Kong we would get out of the car and walk across the border because the rules were stricter with a car load of people. They had thermal cameras set up as you walked through and were immediately pulled aside if you had a fever.

Dadgineer
    Project Leader - Bosch Power Tools North America

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Back in the SARS days, mid 2004ish, I was in China and Hong Kong and at the border going into China, you had to roll down your windows and everyone in the car was laser scanned to check temperature.

Going from China to Hong Kong we would get out of the car and walk across the border because the rules were stricter with a car load of people. They had thermal cameras set up as you walked through and were immediately pulled aside if you had a fever.

I’m thinking thermal cameras are a must for at least 20 years in that part of the world.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think we will be seeing something like that in sports stadiums and airports going forward. The changes we saw to air travel after 9-11, will be similar to the screening for infectious diseases we will see going forward.

A couple of weeks ago we were working in a school and the nurse showed up soon after we got there and had a swipe device that she rubbed on our foreheads to check our temperature. It took about 10 to 15 seconds each. We will see a lot more things like that in the future.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

The few factories that are still open around here do the same…take every employees temp as they walk in the door. A friend of mine is a superintendent at a paper mill that makes products for the steel industry – he said that any employee with a temperature over 99°f is sent home.

The factory I work at has been checking employees temperatures since March 20. This was being done before you walk in the door. This is being done by security guard that was hired by the company. Now we having done in 2 room Construction trailer. The only problem we are seeing when a employees ask what their temperatures is the security guard can’t say what the employees temperature is.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Airports in Singapore Hong Kong and Tokyo have thermo sensors integrated as you exit their secured areas. They automatically scans each face and take temperature without you knowing. If the temperature is beyond threshold the monitor flashes and security will stop you. They should be doing that at all concerts stadiums airport seaports train stations.

Clev08
    Pro

The school I teach at has turned off all key fobs to get in the building but Administrators and custodial staff. I have to get special permission to get in my room. But, now that they called school for the year I will get to start my summer construction work a month early!

The school I teach at has turned off all key fobs to get in the building but Administrators and custodial staff. I have to get special permission to get in my room. But, now that they called school for the year I will get to start my summer construction work a month early!

I’m thinking they will be doing that here also , but on the other hand , they recalled most of the shop floor people that they laid off over a few weeks ago , I personally think it’s kind of early for that , but it’s obviously a money issue , the company getting about 75 percentage from the government to pay for the paycheck of each employee until May 4 the around , then I assume if they drop the payment from the government , they may get laid off again 🤷‍♂️ , it’s obviously the money that they are thinking about.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Some constructions sites open today. A lot of new rules are in place pretty difficult to follow due to the nature of each particular trade.
    Link in french,

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2020/04/20/les-entrepreneurs-en-construction-fin-prets-a-travailler

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

My county now prohibits non-essential construction work of which there is a long list. But pretty much any remodeling is considered non-essential.

On new construction, they require the owner of record to sign a vacant structure affidavit. If it’s not “vacant” then it’s a remodel then it’s not permitted.

DEPARTMENT OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
    Rev:1 | Revision Date:4/17/2020 | Print Date: 4/17/2020 I.D. Number:
    VACANT STRUCTURE AFFIDAVIT
    STATE OF FLORIDA BROWARD COUNTY BEFORE ME, personally appeared (Owner or Qualifier Name) located at (Street Address) who, first being duly sworn, deposes and states that the structure located at the above address is not occupied and in compliance with the Governor’s Executive Order 20-91, which shall take effect at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, April 11, 2020 and remain in effect through April 30.

**Non-essential alterations or remodeling will not be permitted. Permit applications for non-essential alterations or remodeling to existing structures will be accepted and fully reviewed with comments for corrections provided. However, the issuance of the permit to such work will be withheld until such time as the current declarations and/or additional or revised declarations are terminated, and COVID19 protocols are lifted.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

My county now prohibits non-essential construction work of which there is a long list. But pretty much any remodeling is considered non-essential.

On new construction, they require the owner of record to sign a vacant structure affidavit. If it’s not “vacant” then it’s a remodel then it’s not permitted.

DEPARTMENT OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT

Rev:1 | Revision Date:4/17/2020 | Print Date: 4/17/2020 I.D. Number:

VACANT STRUCTURE AFFIDAVIT

STATE OF FLORIDA BROWARD COUNTY BEFORE ME, personally appeared (Owner or Qualifier Name) located at (Street Address) who, first being duly sworn, deposes and states that the structure located at the above address is not occupied and in compliance with the Governor’s Executive Order 20-91, which shall take effect at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, April 11, 2020 and remain in effect through April 30.

**Non-essential alterations or remodeling will not be permitted. Permit applications for non-essential alterations or remodeling to existing structures will be accepted and fully reviewed with comments for corrections provided. However, the issuance of the permit to such work will be withheld until such time as the current declarations and/or additional or revised declarations are terminated, and COVID19 protocols are lifted.

Pennsylvania announced yesterday that they are going to begin allowing “limited construction”. I have the feeling they will doing the same as your county – new construction only, no work in occupied homes.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Doobie

I have the feeling they will doing the same as your county – new construction only, no work in occupied homes.

Here, new start construction is on hold. Only infrastructure or priority work is allowed. Existing work on most sites was initially still allowed and that got kiboshed a few weeks later and has been on hold since.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Here any new construction ( houses or apartments) or renovation that is supposed to be finished until July 31st is allowed to work.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I just saw on the local news website that local Home Builders Association paraded 40 vehicles in front of the local hospital to show support for the front line health workers.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 468 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.571 seconds