dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 469 total)
  • Author

@Sorpa not sure yet , they put together a list of people , it depends on what my supervisor has to say about the military stuff I’m working on now , I guess it’s going to depend on personal and projects. But yeah I definitely would like to be able to have a helping hand in the build.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

seems there is a lot of confusion out there on essential businesses.

local cities and counties can override state and federal guidelines. For example Miami-Dade County (Miami Beach) declared landscaping to be non-essential while Broward County (Fort Lauderdale) declared it to be. So lawn maintenance has ceased in Miami no one is getting their grass cut or trees trimmed during this shutdown. Last few days many local stores are hits and misses in terms of construction parts and materials. Big box stores are opened but at reduced hours, smaller stores you have to call. A plumbing supply store I called is now open only on Mondays and Thursdays. Another one will only do online orders and curbside pickup. A window parts store I wanted some new window balancing rods is not answering their phones. Tried to hire out some stucco work and they said they are doing everything except finishing as they ran out of dust masks.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Same here: Quebec province declared construction nonessential while for the neighbor Ontario it’s essential.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Same here: Quebec province declared construction nonessential while for the neighbor Ontario it’s essential.

Believe me, just because it’s essential doesn’t mean it’s essential lol

I’ve got a couple jobs that are “near completion” that I am 100% allowed to finish, that’s the only CLEAR information I’ve been given.

Apparently any job through insurance is also allowed, thankfully I just landed a nice one – however our city is no longer issuing permits, so now we have another hurdle to jump next week to see what can happen with that fire claim.

Apparently if you have a footing permit, we are allowed to proceed with construction aslong as we follow best safety practices, however in another line of the essential services briefing we were told we could only finish projects near completion. It seems as though it’s a roll of the dice and will come down on individual municipalities and how they interpret and enforce the new rules.

I just really wish we had CLEAR answers. It’s scary as a small business owner not knowing exactly what is coming and trying to work day by day. Do I order 10K in materials when I might be shut down tomorrow and could use that money in my account instead?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I agree that there are not clear answers.
    We have huge constructions jobs halted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9seau_express_m%C3%A9tropolitain

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

A project like that I believe should definitely be moving forward, however with some serious changes.

Perhaps only having one crew from one company on a certain part of the site at one time, while keeping different crews from crossing paths (if/when/ and where possible)

As much as I’d honestly rather be home with my family, I’m grateful that I cannot continue to work. One huge issue I have however is that being in a mining community I have ALOT of good friends that work in the mining industry. They are continuing to go underground and work in close proximity to eachother, with minimal safety changes.

With stockpiles of raw ore, plus everything that is currently in different stages of refinement I just find it a little difficult to see how they are viewing deemed essential… Aside from being massive tax generators to help bankroll this hard time.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

A project like that I believe should definitely be moving forward, however with some serious changes.

Perhaps only having one crew from one company on a certain part of the site at one time, while keeping different crews from crossing paths (if/when/ and where possible)

As much as I’d honestly rather be home with my family, I’m grateful that I cannot continue to work. One huge issue I have however is that being in a mining community I have ALOT of good friends that work in the mining industry. They are continuing to go underground and work in close proximity to eachother, with minimal safety changes.

With stockpiles of raw ore, plus everything that is currently in different stages of refinement I just find it a little difficult to see how they are viewing deemed essential… Aside from being massive tax generators to help bankroll this hard time.

The problem here is the union. Construction unions. They wanted to stay at home then they wanted the construction vacation money now instead of mid summer. Same money even if the contribution is not totally paid.

all construction was declared essential here in NJ, now all non-essential construction must cease. but there’s like 199 exceptions so it hasnt affected my work

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I am still working as we classed as essential business. I wouldn’t say what we make is essential either.
    In one sense I am happy to be working. But it has been a very stressful time. Also being a member of the Safety committee adds more stress to the job too. I was chosen the other day to be temporary union steward. We have shortage of steward with some being off work.
    My wife got a call today that she is back to work on Monday. She will be working from home.
    We have tried buying our groceries online. It seems to be ok other then we have wait over a week for pick up and it time consuming to book a time slot.
    We doing our part to stay safe.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

After reading all the comments looks like a lot of hit and miss rules. The idea is be safe I guess.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

After reading all the comments looks like a lot of hit and miss rules. The idea is be safe I guess.

I believe here the governments wants to keep some people working. Also some people are not taking serious either. Your right everyone needs to stay safe.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have been reading up on the use of UV lights to kill coronavirus since this whole subject has appeared in various tweets and blogs all over, where some claims to use a UV gun to sweep people and goods to kill the virus.

Unfortunately it’s not any UV light, it’s UV-C, which might kill the virus, and you too LOL.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200327-can-you-kill-coronavirus-with-uv-light

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Pretty difficult to acquire too that UV-C light source or filter.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Ontario prolonged the state of emergency until May the 12th.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

They prolonged the state of emergency, and confirmed schools will continue to remain closed, however were still waiting on some real guidance and direction. I really feel like it should be all or nothing, as it stands the grey area is far too large.

They have called back some people from the shop , we were around 89 people working on the shop floor slit in 3 shifts , starting next week , I think we should have around double that figure , but still spit into 3 shifts ,
    Also the first prototype for the respirator had a problem with the bellows , it’s kinda to noisey , so they are working on the next generation , hopefully it can get fixed , and into production by the end of the week.
    Now they even have arrows dictating the direction to walk in the shop floor , plus they closed the other entrance , now it’s just the two ways to enter the building , main entrance , and the other post for clients for training , both posts , you are greeted by two security guards , making sure you wash your hands , and look at the camera and say an oath that your health status hasn’t changed since the day before , it’s been the new norm for the last few days. 🤷‍♂️ Better safe than sorry

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

It sounds like fun the oath thing.

It sounds like fun the oath thing.

Guess they just want to make sure that people stay on the up and up 🤷‍♂️

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Guess they just want to make sure that people stay on the up and up

Kind of like after 9-11 all the airlines started doing the “you are not affiliated with any terrorist organization? You packed your own bags and no one has touched these bags and you didn’t put any weapons or explosives in these bags?” as if a real terrorist would tell the truth lol.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Jobsites here in Alberta are starting to scan workers with a laser thermometer before they are allowed to enter. Haven’t seen anything in the news about it just started here in the past week or so.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 469 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.650 seconds