dcsimg

Covid-19 and Construction

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 328 total)
  • Author
    ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

How is the current mindset of the public impacting how you do your work? Do you have some sort of plan for a situation like this? If not, do you intend to create one?

Whether you subscribe to the Covid-19 pandemic idea or not, the general is – the company I work for has already had calls from concerned customers asking what our plan is while working in their home. In a situation like this, we have to be proactive; not only in health matters but also in business matters. If you are a small company doing 1 or 2 jobs at a time what will be the affect on you if one of those customers tells you that they are putting their project on hold until the scare is over?

We have to encourage employees to be cognizant of the concerns of the customer – be overt in your precautions. Let the customer see that you have hand sanitizer and soap on the job, if you use a restroom in the house put a container of Clorox wipes in there. Show them that you take their concerns seriously.

On the other side of that, do not be afraid to ask a hacking, sneezing, nose-blowing customer to stay out of the work area and give you and your employees the same courtesy that you give them.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

No problems with the customers so far.

Well , where do I start ,
    I’m in the simulation business , we have clients and employees traveling around the world ,
    My good friend , just came back from Abu Dhabi about two weeks ago , apparently he was cleared , but the other people who traveled back early this week have been quarantined , I have received numerous emails from the company , The union (our president of the union ) just returned from UK and I heard today that she’s definitely infected , plus numerous of other friends and colleagues who just returned from Germany and other areas ,
    That plus I have been sick with I believe is just a seasonal flu /cold , and this week Wednesday my wife picked up the cold , she went into work Thursday morning , they gave her, her laptop and told her to stay home and get tested 🤷‍♂️,
    All this to say it’s been a hectic week this week , and we found out all the e events and our daughter’s school has been put on closure for the next two weeks , it’s definitely going to be interesting this coming week. , On a brighter note , traffic has been very light LoL and the price of gas is going down

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Well , where do I start ,

I’m in the simulation business , we have clients and employees traveling around the world ,

My good friend , just came back from Abu Dhabi about two weeks ago , apparently he was cleared , but the other people who traveled back early this week have been quarantined , I have received numerous emails from the company , The union (our president of the union ) just returned from UK and I heard today that she’s definitely infected , plus numerous of other friends and colleagues who just returned from Germany and other areas ,

That plus I have been sick with I believe is just a seasonal flu /cold , and this week Wednesday my wife picked up the cold , she went into work Thursday morning , they gave her, her laptop and told her to stay home and get tested 🤷‍♂️,

All this to say it’s been a hectic week this week , and we found out all the e events and our daughter’s school has been put on closure for the next two weeks , it’s definitely going to be interesting this coming week. , On a brighter note , traffic has been very light LoL and the price of gas is going down

I have a feeling that’s just the beginning. Generally speaking.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We are seeing a lot of things canceled like home shows and the like.

I was on a group email with the State Representatives for the National Association of Homebuilders.

It sounds like it is a common thread that home shows and parades are being canceled all over the country.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

We are seeing a lot of things canceled like home shows and the like.

I was on a group email with the State Representatives for the National Association of Homebuilders.

It sounds like it is a common thread that home shows and parades are being canceled all over the country.

Same here.
    A few sport competitions have been cancelled.

Yup I was supposed to go to the home show this weekend , but obviously it’s been cancelled , that plus anything with 250 people or more ,
    Just received a company email , all people that can work from home it’s mandatory , starting right now , until April 3rd , unfortunately I work on the shop floor , but dang it I’m going to get a kick a$$ parking spot LoL , just kidding I always do especially with the time I start

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Yup I was supposed to go to the home show this weekend , but obviously it’s been cancelled , that plus anything with 250 people or more ,

Just received a company email , all people that can work from home it’s mandatory , starting right now , until April 3rd , unfortunately I work on the shop floor , but dang it I’m going to get a kick a$$ parking spot LoL , just kidding I always do especially with the time I start

there were well over 360 people at Costco this morning looking for toilet paper. It seems to be one of those things people are hoarding.

I have also heard of some grocery stores running short on canned goods. you would think it was the end of the world or something.

Yeah , you would think that’s what they are thinking , we just keep a general supply of the usual things that are essentials ,
    Some of the lineup’s apparently here at our Costco’s were crazy , I’m glad we didn’t have to go to Costco ,
    I feel bad for the slightly older than us people , you have all the capable people hoarding things , and nothing left for the rest of the people , then those same hoarders turn around and sell it for much more , not a fan of that

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Where I work put disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer threw out the plant. Stopped all visitor’s from coming the plant and have stopped all travel. So staff that can work from home are ask to work from home.

All my girls skating and hockey games have been cancelled. School is closed for the next 3 weeks.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I can’t figure out all this huge toilet paper necessity.
    What triggered that madness is beyond me.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

All of our current work is exterior. Not working around any homeowners or other workers either.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I can’t figure out all this huge toilet paper necessity.

What triggered that madness is beyond me.

I’m at a loss for that as well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think I read that it was something someone or people started doing in Australia 🤷, not a hundred percent sure ,

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I don’t get the toilet paper hoarding either lol…it is a good idea to buy a little extra but…My wife and I went shopping Thursday evening – bought more canned goods than we normally do but nothing crazy, we were low on tp and planned on buy our regular amount plus an extra pack. The shelves were empty.

As we were going around the store we saw a guy with two shopping carts LOADED with toilet paper – there had to have been 300 rolls. That is insane.

As far as work goes – we had a field staff meeting Friday to cover this. Nothing crazy, mostly just stay home if you are sick, sanitize frequently touched surfaces – mostly just working with our individual customers to assure them that we are taking their concerns seriously.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

As we were going around the store we saw a guy with two shopping carts LOADED with toilet paper – there had to have been 300 rolls. That is insane.

Maybe it’s eatable and we don’t know 😀

Well at least it’s loaded with fiber lmao
    Hopefully that’s all it’s loaded with 🤢
    Will be interesting to see how things work out in the shop tomorrow ,

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Here is my take on the TP thing.

It is not unusual, for some people like myself, to stock up on paper goods. The stores generally stock a reasonable amount. TP does take up a decent amount of shelf space, and is probably not a huge moneymaker for the merchant. On the other hand, it wont go bad, and is priced low enough that someone could afford to buy an extra pack, if they felt like getting prepared for the worst. Once this started to occur, the “herd” mentality broke out, aided by social media, and the rest is history.
    I have heard in the last few days that many stores have restocked, and it is business as usual.

UVA has cancelled classes and will do schooling online to lower the risks while construction continues. Rebuilding the new student health and wrapping up the remodeling of the McCormick dorms are still in action. We’ve installed UV-C in the air filter systems which help eliminate bacteria and viruses. We have had a health safety meeting and given supplies to disinfect our tools, office ilon the job site.

Remember wash your hands with cold water, fingers pointed down to rinse. Mouthwash take alongs are great to have on you as well to occasionally swish and gargle to rid bacteria. Disinfect your vehicles, door handles, seat buckles, main house door knobs, toothbrushes and hairbrushes. Keep hand sanitizer fit when you are done at the gas pump. If you have wipes, go ahead and wipe the pump handle before and after use as well as your gas cap.

So back in the shop this morning , traffic was much much lighter than usual , two security guards at each entrance , called in for my hot work permit , the guard is wearing gloves , plus most of the people working on the floor ,
    My boss came in to let me know if I prefer changing my shift or time , because we are supposed to have employees Diapered over the floor , in the 3 shifts , I’m pretty fortunate , seeing how I’m the only person who can work in the glass blowing area , I can pretty much do what ever time I want ,
    We can not even sit down and eat in our cafeteria , we can go buy our lunch , but must bring it back to our work area

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 328 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.498 seconds