dcsimg

Cordness Drill/Driver vs Hammer Drill

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I just purchased a cordless drill driver and now having second thoughts to getting a hammer drill. Both are the same price. I really don’t know what I would use the hammer drill for, but if it has more power and torque should I get it? The only thing I could use it for is when we buy a gazebo for our patio I will need something (probably a hammer drill) to mount the gazebo into the concrete. Other than this project not sure what else I would need it for.

I would like your input on this. Thanks

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

The hammer drill function is usually pretty useless in my experience. The only real advantage is more torque. If it’s the same price as the regular drill/driver then I would definitely get it. If you need to drill multiple holes in concrete I would suggest an sds drill

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Would the hammer drill even do that kind of work or would I end up burning it up?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Would the hammer drill even do that kind of work or would I end up burning it up?

Depends on how big the holes are. I only use my hammer drill for 1/4 and smaller, but it has more power than most hammer drills.

If you are anchoring something liking a gazebo, I’d opt for a big anchor and an SDS rotary hammer. Both drill holes in masonry, but you’ll sh*t yourself at how fast the rotary hammer is in comparison.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Is it worth it for the torque to go with the hammer? How much of a difference is there roughly?

Doobie

Posted this in the Toolaholics thread prior to seeing this query you set up here also.

Anyone’s thought between drill/driver and hammer drill?

Nothing overly wrong with getting one that hammers also. Especially if you’re limited in what you can get over a short time frame. Myself, I generally don’t care for them and have dedicated hammer type drills that are SDS type drills for concrete stuff now. The hammering action in combo smaller drills is pretty useless in comparison and is only good for small diameter hole drillings.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I don’t know how big or deep of a hole I would make to anchor down a gazebo to the patio if I switched to a hammer drill. I guess I will keep what I have.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I don’t know how big or deep of a hole I would make to anchor down a gazebo to the patio if I switched to a hammer drill. I guess I will keep what I have.

I’d probably be looking at 3/8 anchors to hold something like that down, some other guys here might have other opinions. You definitely wouldn’t be able to drill that kind of hole without an sds rotary hammer

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i second kswiss’ , the corldess hammer drills dont work very well in my experience . they take forever. the only bonus to them is the added torque for regular drilling and some have a metal chuck sleeve which is more durable than a plastic one found on drill drivers

as for anchoring a gazebo to the concrete.. you really need larger commercial anchors. either 1/2″ threaded rod combined with 2 part epoxy or 1/2″ wedge anchors.. sds rotary hammers pack more punch and have much more torque making easy work of drilling 1/2″ holes

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah the cordless hammer drills like the hdh183 are good for smaller sized holes. I wouldn’t even bother, i’d go for which ever has a smaller footprint and get a dedicated hammer drill like a bull dog and up.

I use my cordless hammer drill for tile drilling shields or anchors . It doesn’t hit as hard as the hammer dril force to bust a tile in my opinion .

Hammer drills are awesome for just about everything else . Plus most have the chipping / hammer drill feature . Like Jeff said you will need larger anchors for the gazebo attachment . Buy the hammer drill my two cents .

Always willing to learn .

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Thanks everyone. I ended up sticking with the drill/driver.

Thanks everyone. I ended up sticking with the drill/driver.

Forgot to ask does a buddy have the SDS drill you can borrow for the large mounting hardware that you will do next on the gazebo .

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I don’t know anyone who has one. I would have to rent one.

Doobie
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

If your not drilling a lot of concrete I would just rent or borrow a hammer drill. The hammer really helps drilling masonry. Don’t forget you need a masonry drill bit also.

I have actually used my cordless hammer drill for anchors on my pool handrail, and ladder, 10 anchors if I remember correctly, they were 3/8 by 2 and a half or 3 inch long.
    Worked okay, definitely longer than an sds rotary hammer, but it did the job.

And for my gazebos I have used the hammer drill and for 1/4 inch Tapcons, not any issues.
    Mind you, my gazebos has the bigger base a foot square, and used 4 Tapcons per base.

That being said, I totally agree with other members about the rotary vs the hammer drill.

I don’t know anyone who has one. I would have to rent one.

Home Depot rents them at certain stores . For not much money at all for one day’s use .

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.265 seconds