dcsimg

Cordless tool battery strategy

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Curious what you think is the optimum number of batteries, how many 2A, 4A, 5A, 9A do you have for a particular platform.

Do you buy the batteries you need when you need them?

Or do you buy tool kits that comes with charger & batteries?

Sometimes the kits are cheaper than buying tools and batteries, much cheaper.

For example, you can buy a bare M18 grinder for $125. But often you get a $149 kit with grinder, charger, 5A battery. So you might be better off buying kits as a way to build up battery stock. Problem is you end up with reluctant tools.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I usually just buy a kit. As you mentioned, they are the best bang for the buck. I try to buy kits that have larger amp hours. For me, the larger the amp hour the better. Within reason of course. I don’t want a huge 12 amp/hr battery on an impact.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I usually buy kits as well. Also bare tool when the price is right.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sometimes the kits are cheaper than buying tools and batteries, much cheaper.

Yep that is usually the case. I usually buy a tool that has the new CORE or higher capacity batteries because that is the cheapest way I have found to get them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I have bought both, but from what I seen it’s usually a better deal when you buy some sort of kit that comes with a battery. Even if it’s a charger kit that comes with a battery.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have bought both, but from what I seen it’s usually a better deal when you buy some sort of kit that comes with a battery. Even if it’s a charger kit that comes with a battery.

Good point @hojo04 the battery starter kits are sometimes a really inexpensive way to go.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

With Ridgid the batteries you get with a tool kit has LSA (Lifetime Service Agreement) and they will replace it if it goes bad forever. Nice deal, except Ridgid doesn’t have a complete lineup of tools so you have to get on another platform anyways.

Doobie
    Pro

I usually acquire most batteries in kits. I just recently got on the Makita 18V platform and with all the Makita I have been buying I’m starting to feel that I need more than the 3 3ah batteries I have gotten with some of them. Three amp batteries don’t get you long run times with some tools.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That’s a perfect use case.

You have all the needed tools but want more batteries or higher amp ones. So you either buy more batteries but but but for $30 more you get the battery you want, an extra charger and another drill or saw you don’t need or already have two of.

Do you sell the surplus bare tool?

So you keep it as a backup tool?

Wish they have tool trade in services!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Problem is you end up with reluctant tools.

I just sell off the tools on craigslist. I never buy just a battery. I buy tools and get the batteries with them I have more batteries than brains right now. I have all 4.0ah, 5.0ah and 6.0ah batteries. I would like some 2.0ah for the impacts too reduce the weight.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I do both. Kits mostly, but I buy batteries too when needed and bare tools if I have enough batteries. Not married to any particular method. Just what is least cost.

Orange County, CA

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I do both. The bad thing about going the kit route, is that you often end up with way too many chargers. I bet I currently own a dozen chargers that will charge a 20v Dewalt.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Some of our guys use the 20v Dewalt and might buy 1 or 2 of them from you @warren6810 .

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Some of our guys use the 20v Dewalt and might buy 1 or 2 of them from you @warren6810 .

I would give up some of the 20v chargers for $10 each. I also have a bunch that charge 20v and 60v, but I would expect $20 for those. Let me know.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I bet I currently own a dozen chargers that will charge a 20v Dewalt.

Same here except I have Bosch chargers in the attic.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.585 seconds