dcsimg

Cordless Reciprocating Saws

This topic contains 75 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Warren6810 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Author

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thank you for posting the thread Dirty, I forgot they were doing a recip saw test.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro

Thank you for posting the thread Dirty, I forgot they were doing a recip saw test.

Ditto as well. I watched the whole video and reviewed their article. Was surprised at some of the findings especially how Hilti and Metabo did so poorly and Ridgid came out so well.

One thing I didn’t see was a tool weight listing for each tool. I thought that was kinda odd not to have tool weight comparisons.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Ditto as well. I watched the whole video and reviewed their article. Was surprised at some of the findings especially how Hilti and Metabo did so poorly and Ridgid came out so well.

One thing I didn’t see was a tool weight listing for each tool. I thought that was kinda odd not to have tool weight comparisons.

They did list the weight in the description, here’s the text:

Bosch GSA18v-125k14: Brushless Motor, 18V Lithium Ion 6.3 Ah CORE Battery, 1-1/4″ Stroke, 0-2,500 SPM, 7.7 lbs, Hard Plastic Case, Fast Charger
    DEWALT DCS367P1: Brushless Motor, 20V MAX 5.0 Ah Lithium Ion Battery, 1-1/8″ Stroke, 0-2,900 SPM, 5.0 lbs (bare tool weight), Soft Zipper Bag, Charger
    Hilti WSR 22-A: Brushed Motor, 22V Lithium Ion Battery – We tested with the 5.2 Ah battery packs, 1-1/8″ Stroke, 0-3,000 SPM, 8.4 lbs, Soft Zipper Bag, Compact Charger
    Hitachi CR 18DBL: Brushless Motor, 18V Lithium Ion Battery – We tested with the 6.0 Ah battery packs, 1-1/4″ Stroke, 0-2,500 SPM, 7.5 lbs, Hard Case, Battery Charger
    Makita XRJ05: Brushless Motor, 18V Lithium Ion Battery – We tested with the 5.0 Ah battery packs, 1-1/4″ Stroke, 0-3,000 SPM, 8.2 lbs, Hard Case, Battery Charger
    Metabo ASE 18 LXT: Brushed Motor, 18V Lithium Ion Battery – We tested with the 6.2 Ah battery packs, 1-3/16″ Stroke, 0-2,700 SPM, 7.9 lbs, Soft zipper bag, battery charger
    Milwaukee 2721-20: Brushless Motor, 18V Lithium Ion Battery – We tested with the 5.0 Ah battery packs, 1-1/8″ Stroke, 0-3,000 SPM, 7.4 lbs, Hard Case, Battery Charger
    Porter Cable PCC670: Brushed Motor, 18V Lithium Ion Battery – We tested with the 4.0 Ah battery packs, 1″ Stroke, 0-3,000 SPM, Not kitted
    Ridgid R8643: Brushless Motor, 18V Lithium Ion Battery – We tested with the 6.0 Ah Blue Tooth battery packs, 1-1/8″ Stroke, 0-3,200 SPM, Not kitted
    Ryobi P517: Brushless Motor, 18V Lithium Ion Battery – We tested with the 4.0 Ah battery packs, 7/8″ Stroke, 0-3,100 SPM, Not kitted

The last three aren’t listed probably because they’re not released yet, but the current models that are available I looked up were:

Porter-Cable: 4.4
    Rigid: 7.8
    Ryobi: 5

I’m assuming that’s all without batteries, but the Hitachi website made it seem like they might have been including their battery in the weight listing…so not 100% sure on that one.

Charlie

Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

So here’s the list, but organized, and broken into lightweight, medium, and heavy:

Ryobi &
    Dewalt : 5

Milwaukee : 7.4
    Hitachi : 7.5
    Bosch : 7.7
    Rigid : 7.8
    Metabo : 7.9

Makita : 8.2
    Hilti : 8.4

Charlie

Instagram

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I have a Ryobi one (not the model they were talking about.) and I am happy with it so far. I have cut a few PVC pipes, but mostly pallet wood with nails in it and it does well for my use.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

When I look at the charts there is so little time difference between 1st place and the middle pack that it really is depending on what battery you are currently running.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What is really interesting is the second video where the test the Milwaukee 18V against the Makita 36V and the DeWalt 60V. Surprising results.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I do agree with him in cutting the cord,, the day is here now!

Dirty

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I am not convinced. I would love to test out a Dewalt 60v, but when I picked them up in the store they were incredibly heavy. I have the 20v non brushless currently, and it is a dog.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I am not convinced. I would love to test out a Dewalt 60v, but when I picked them up in the store they were incredibly heavy. I have the 20v non brushless currently, and it is a dog.

Oh I’ve used the newer dewalt 20 volt that has the funky shape like the bosch and it worked very good.

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro

So here’s the list, but organized, and broken into lightweight, medium, and heavy:

Ryobi &
    Dewalt : 5

Milwaukee : 7.4
    Hitachi : 7.5
    Bosch : 7.7
    Rigid : 7.8
    Metabo : 7.9

Makita : 8.2
    Hilti : 8.4

I obviously missed it. Thanks for putting up that info Charlie!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s right in the second video he remarked that the 3 models tested are now better and faster than corded units.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

as a #tbbcrew member im sorta surprised that the dewalt didnt win.. it won 2 of the 3 tests for speed. and it also comes in cheaper as a kit.. i havent talked to rob or todd about the results as i wasnt there for the testing process

i do know that both myself and joe canning are more than welcome to go to the head to head tests, however its far too expensive to travel to robs just for a one day tool testing session

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Ryobi and Milwaukee are sister companies under Tectronix but rigid is Emerson I believe

Not exactly

Orange Ridgid (basically the non-plumbing stuff) is TTI with the brand licensed from Emmerson.

A ridgid wrench is not TTI but a Ridgid drill or planer is

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

When I look at the charts there is so little time difference between 1st place and the middle pack that it really is depending on what battery you are currently running.

That’s how I also looked at it,

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

That’s right in the second video he remarked that the 3 models tested are now better and faster than corded units.

Either I missed that, or you did. I think he said they were comparable to corded units. Like I said earlier, I am still not sold on cordless recip saws. Admittedly, I have not opted for a brushless, and I have not owned any of the current versions, but I have a few that are 2 or 3 year old models. Unbless something changed drastically in the last couple of years, I am not yet ready to give up the cord.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Either I missed that, or you did. I think he said they were comparable to corded units. Like I said earlier, I am still not sold on cordless recip saws. Admittedly, I have not opted for a brushless, and I have not owned any of the current versions, but I have a few that are 2 or 3 year old models. Unbless something changed drastically in the last couple of years, I am not yet ready to give up the cord.

You should splurge and get a new one.

Dirty

Hangman
    Pro

Honestly I don’t see Ridgid as a budget brand by any means. All the G5X tools perform just as great as any of my other tools. Ridgid has great features and they introduced the Brushless Router and Compact Brushless Miter Saw first. Their brushed impact driver works so well with spade bits cutting holes. Still it doesn’t beat my Bosch IDH182 1/2 Socket Ready on 15/16 truss bolts. Ridgid’s brushless circular saw has very clear depth indicators and a solid sled. If I needed a new recip saw I’d seriously consider them.

Attachments:

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

rigid has a brand new recip coming out next month also. scott arnold my fellow #tbbcrew member has it right now and is testing it out

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

I have the compact Dewalt cordless. I love it. If i need more etc I’d grab a corded but that is a rarity.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.532 seconds