dcsimg

Cordless Reciprocating Saws

This topic contains 75 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Warren6810 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Can we have a discussion on reciprocating saws?
    I will start with how can the Home Depot budget brand Ridgid take 2nd place and do so well it this showdown???
    http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/reciprocating-saw/cordless-reciprocating-saw-head-to-head/

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Can we have a discussion on reciprocating saws?
    I will start with how can the Home Depot budget brand Ridgid take 2nd place and do so well it this showdown???
    http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/reciprocating-saw/cordless-reciprocating-saw-head-to-head/

I’d say partially do to the fact they are made by the same place. Very similar internal parts would be a guess.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I see the Big Boxx Budget Brand was tested with a 6.0 Ah Blue Tooth battery packs I didn’t even know about this battery
    I need this battery!!

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’d say partially do to the fact they are made by the same place.

Same place as what

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Ryobi and Milwaukee are sister companies under Tectronix but rigid is Emerson I believe

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Nice to see the difference in all those saws, I guess depending on what one needs ie speed vs ergonomics and runtime plus performance either way with batteries and brushless,
    That’s what sets them apart,
    But I have to say, I have seen some great improvements in different manufacturers
    Another great thing to remember is downtime,
    If a tool breaks down or has to be sent out for repair, not very practical.
    I might opt for a more reliable saw, even if it takes me 1 hour more time, beats being without or having to run out and buy another one.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

It makes me so disappointed – I feel like Bosch should have done better! Especially because, if I’m right, wasn’t the Bosch designed well after the Milwaukee? I guess I always assume that a new design is engineered to do better than a competitor in those key areas – but am I wrong about that? It would be so interesting to get an inside view on the R&D on new tools and have the timeline of other new tool releases to compare it to.

Charlie

Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@dirtywhiteboy Do you also have the Makita?

I own the Makita and I’m a bit shocked it didn’t place higher. (But I haven’t used any of the saws that bested it). They must be extremely good to place higher than me I know to be a very powerful and reliable saw.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I have the new Bosch, and although it didn’t rank in the top of this test, I am very happy with it! Smoothest running reciprocating saw I’ve used, and for me a few seconds extra on a cut isn’t a big deal really. I guess it all comes down to what battery platform you are using.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Owning milwaukee’s corded super sawzall and Bosch’s crs180, I still grab the cordless every time. It’s not as powerful but it works great and I prefer the lighter weight, no cord and better ergonomics. I really only use it for demo work and probably use it 50/50 between metal and wood. I’d like one of these new brushless recip saws but mostly because I like an excuse to buy tools. Maybe next time I renovate a home. I rarely use it for more than an hour or less at a time and I can’t discern whether it’s doing the work slower than the Milwaukee corded or not. I’m sure it must be slower cutting but I can make several cuts with a battery tool during the time it takes to run a cord and roll it back up. The core battery makes a big difference on my older Bosch saw.
    I would have a hard time choosing among all of those brushless saws.

j

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Ryobi and Milwaukee are sister companies under Tectronix but rigid is Emerson I believe

Right, TTI owns Milwaukee, ryobi and AEG. In the us they license the Ridgid name from Emerson for the AEG tools sold in Usa. I think that’s how it goes…

j

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Nice to see the difference in all those saws, I guess depending on what one needs ie speed vs ergonomics and runtime plus performance either way with batteries and brushless,
    That’s what sets them apart,
    But I have to say, I have seen some great improvements in different manufacturers
    Another great thing to remember is downtime,
    If a tool breaks down or has to be sent out for repair, not very practical.
    I might opt for a more reliable saw, even if it takes me 1 hour more time, beats being without or having to run out and buy another one.

That’s a very good point, Brian. Reliability is a huge factor in buying choice. Access to service and service turnaround time is another consideration. Having a local, competent service centre to keep tools up and running beats marginal performance differences IMO.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Rigid pluming tool’s and shop vac’s are Emerson. The power tool line is TTI. Same as the Milwaukee.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@dirtywhiteboy Do you also have the Makita?

Yes I do have the new Makita and am also surprised it didn’t place higher. I do take these test or shoot outs with a grain of salt,, somehow I think advertising money comes into play somehow. For me it’s really hard to believe that TTIs 2 saw did best?????
    We have to remember that the Makita was tested with the 5.0ah and not the 6.0ah but I don’t think that should make a difference.

Dirty

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I am still not a fan of cordless recip saws. Of all of my cordless tools, the recips are the biggest disappointments. I also think that the blade selection is probably more important than the tool selection.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I am still not a fan of cordless recip saws. Of all of my cordless tools, the recips are the biggest disappointments. I also think that the blade selection is probably more important than the tool selection.

For heavy demo I would have to agree, I just recently toasted my corded dewalt and I need to get a trigger or something.

Dirty

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

For heavy demo I would have to agree, I just recently toasted my corded dewalt and I need to get a trigger or something.

I have the cordless DeWalt and that doesn’t really surprise me. I’m just waiting for mine to go.

Owning milwaukee’s corded super sawzall and Bosch’s crs180, I still grab the cordless every time. It’s not as powerful but it works great and I prefer the lighter weight, no cord and better ergonomics. I really only use it for demo work and probably use it 50/50 between metal and wood. I’d like one of these new brushless recip saws but mostly because I like an excuse to buy tools. Maybe next time I renovate a home. I rarely use it for more than an hour or less at a time and I can’t discern whether it’s doing the work slower than the Milwaukee corded or not. I’m sure it must be slower cutting but I can make several cuts with a battery tool during the time it takes to run a cord and roll it back up. The core battery makes a big difference on my older Bosch saw.
    I would have a hard time choosing among all of those brushless saws.

I’m in the same boat – I’m never operating a recip all day long on large scale demolition work, and most of the time I’d opt for a hammer and crow bar over a recip anyway. But I have used one a bunch for pruning or taking out small trees, and I could see liking a saw that was cordless for that, especially one that has good ergonomics.

I agree too, that blades make a huge difference.

The one feature I really like on the DeWalt that I don’t see on any others is the flush cut orientation for blades. That’s been really nice for me a few times.

Charlie

Instagram

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I do like the cordless for pruning trees, but for me that is only once or twice a year. Anything that requires more than a few minutes of cutting, and we are grabbing the corded version.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I do like the cordless for pruning trees, but for me that is only once or twice a year. Anything that requires more than a few minutes of cutting, and we are grabbing the corded version.

Add a ladder to the equation…or go up on a roof and I’m happy to leave the cord behind!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Add a ladder to the equation…or go up on a roof and I’m happy to leave the cord behind!

That’s exactly my thought – I’m always pruning up IN my chestnut tree, or at my inlaws’ (or 200’ away from the house) but being up a tree is why I keep going back and forth about the compact.

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.720 seconds