dcsimg

Cordless Reciprocating Saws

This topic contains 75 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Warren6810 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Can we have a discussion on reciprocating saws?
    I will start with how can the Home Depot budget brand Ridgid take 2nd place and do so well it this showdown???
    http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/reciprocating-saw/cordless-reciprocating-saw-head-to-head/

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Can we have a discussion on reciprocating saws?
    I will start with how can the Home Depot budget brand Ridgid take 2nd place and do so well it this showdown???
    http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/reciprocating-saw/cordless-reciprocating-saw-head-to-head/

I’d say partially do to the fact they are made by the same place. Very similar internal parts would be a guess.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I see the Big Boxx Budget Brand was tested with a 6.0 Ah Blue Tooth battery packs I didn’t even know about this battery
    I need this battery!!

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’d say partially do to the fact they are made by the same place.

Same place as what

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Ryobi and Milwaukee are sister companies under Tectronix but rigid is Emerson I believe

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Nice to see the difference in all those saws, I guess depending on what one needs ie speed vs ergonomics and runtime plus performance either way with batteries and brushless,
    That’s what sets them apart,
    But I have to say, I have seen some great improvements in different manufacturers
    Another great thing to remember is downtime,
    If a tool breaks down or has to be sent out for repair, not very practical.
    I might opt for a more reliable saw, even if it takes me 1 hour more time, beats being without or having to run out and buy another one.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

It makes me so disappointed – I feel like Bosch should have done better! Especially because, if I’m right, wasn’t the Bosch designed well after the Milwaukee? I guess I always assume that a new design is engineered to do better than a competitor in those key areas – but am I wrong about that? It would be so interesting to get an inside view on the R&D on new tools and have the timeline of other new tool releases to compare it to.

Charlie

Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@dirtywhiteboy Do you also have the Makita?

I own the Makita and I’m a bit shocked it didn’t place higher. (But I haven’t used any of the saws that bested it). They must be extremely good to place higher than me I know to be a very powerful and reliable saw.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I have the new Bosch, and although it didn’t rank in the top of this test, I am very happy with it! Smoothest running reciprocating saw I’ve used, and for me a few seconds extra on a cut isn’t a big deal really. I guess it all comes down to what battery platform you are using.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Owning milwaukee’s corded super sawzall and Bosch’s crs180, I still grab the cordless every time. It’s not as powerful but it works great and I prefer the lighter weight, no cord and better ergonomics. I really only use it for demo work and probably use it 50/50 between metal and wood. I’d like one of these new brushless recip saws but mostly because I like an excuse to buy tools. Maybe next time I renovate a home. I rarely use it for more than an hour or less at a time and I can’t discern whether it’s doing the work slower than the Milwaukee corded or not. I’m sure it must be slower cutting but I can make several cuts with a battery tool during the time it takes to run a cord and roll it back up. The core battery makes a big difference on my older Bosch saw.
    I would have a hard time choosing among all of those brushless saws.

j

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Ryobi and Milwaukee are sister companies under Tectronix but rigid is Emerson I believe

Right, TTI owns Milwaukee, ryobi and AEG. In the us they license the Ridgid name from Emerson for the AEG tools sold in Usa. I think that’s how it goes…

j

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Nice to see the difference in all those saws, I guess depending on what one needs ie speed vs ergonomics and runtime plus performance either way with batteries and brushless,
    That’s what sets them apart,
    But I have to say, I have seen some great improvements in different manufacturers
    Another great thing to remember is downtime,
    If a tool breaks down or has to be sent out for repair, not very practical.
    I might opt for a more reliable saw, even if it takes me 1 hour more time, beats being without or having to run out and buy another one.

That’s a very good point, Brian. Reliability is a huge factor in buying choice. Access to service and service turnaround time is another consideration. Having a local, competent service centre to keep tools up and running beats marginal performance differences IMO.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Rigid pluming tool’s and shop vac’s are Emerson. The power tool line is TTI. Same as the Milwaukee.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@dirtywhiteboy Do you also have the Makita?

Yes I do have the new Makita and am also surprised it didn’t place higher. I do take these test or shoot outs with a grain of salt,, somehow I think advertising money comes into play somehow. For me it’s really hard to believe that TTIs 2 saw did best?????
    We have to remember that the Makita was tested with the 5.0ah and not the 6.0ah but I don’t think that should make a difference.

Dirty

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I am still not a fan of cordless recip saws. Of all of my cordless tools, the recips are the biggest disappointments. I also think that the blade selection is probably more important than the tool selection.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I am still not a fan of cordless recip saws. Of all of my cordless tools, the recips are the biggest disappointments. I also think that the blade selection is probably more important than the tool selection.

For heavy demo I would have to agree, I just recently toasted my corded dewalt and I need to get a trigger or something.

Dirty

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

For heavy demo I would have to agree, I just recently toasted my corded dewalt and I need to get a trigger or something.

I have the cordless DeWalt and that doesn’t really surprise me. I’m just waiting for mine to go.

Owning milwaukee’s corded super sawzall and Bosch’s crs180, I still grab the cordless every time. It’s not as powerful but it works great and I prefer the lighter weight, no cord and better ergonomics. I really only use it for demo work and probably use it 50/50 between metal and wood. I’d like one of these new brushless recip saws but mostly because I like an excuse to buy tools. Maybe next time I renovate a home. I rarely use it for more than an hour or less at a time and I can’t discern whether it’s doing the work slower than the Milwaukee corded or not. I’m sure it must be slower cutting but I can make several cuts with a battery tool during the time it takes to run a cord and roll it back up. The core battery makes a big difference on my older Bosch saw.
    I would have a hard time choosing among all of those brushless saws.

I’m in the same boat – I’m never operating a recip all day long on large scale demolition work, and most of the time I’d opt for a hammer and crow bar over a recip anyway. But I have used one a bunch for pruning or taking out small trees, and I could see liking a saw that was cordless for that, especially one that has good ergonomics.

I agree too, that blades make a huge difference.

The one feature I really like on the DeWalt that I don’t see on any others is the flush cut orientation for blades. That’s been really nice for me a few times.

Charlie

Instagram

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I do like the cordless for pruning trees, but for me that is only once or twice a year. Anything that requires more than a few minutes of cutting, and we are grabbing the corded version.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I do like the cordless for pruning trees, but for me that is only once or twice a year. Anything that requires more than a few minutes of cutting, and we are grabbing the corded version.

Add a ladder to the equation…or go up on a roof and I’m happy to leave the cord behind!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Add a ladder to the equation…or go up on a roof and I’m happy to leave the cord behind!

That’s exactly my thought – I’m always pruning up IN my chestnut tree, or at my inlaws’ (or 200’ away from the house) but being up a tree is why I keep going back and forth about the compact.

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.738 seconds