dcsimg

Cordless recip saw shoot out

This topic contains 27 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  theamcguy 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Found a great shootout on all the cordless recip saws

Interestingly the bosch came in dead last, I wonder where their new brushless would be

https://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/best-cordless-reciprocating-saw-shootout/26835/

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Wow even the ryobi was rated better

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Yeah they need to release their new one like now. It has orbital and 3100 rpms. The same as the fuel but a little bit longer stroke. It should be able to beat everyone else with a new eneracer battery

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Very surprised at the results. Would be interesting to redo when the new Bosch is out.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Im not that surprised. The Bosch one is a comfortable recipe to use for a long time, and it is easier than most to control, but it isn’t a badass when it comes to tearing stuff apart quickly.

I have used an old supersawzall (corded) and a first-generation Dewalt, (both belong to my dad, and were borrowed whenever I had need) and both made my hand and forearm sore after moderate use. Overhead work really sucked.

With the Bosch, it is easy to use, easy to hold, and Im not in pain the next day. But, it does take a few seconds longer through a tough cut. Dont care. A slightly slower speed means I can get myself back on track if it does go off my line.

Maybe if I was using it just for demolition and very very rough work, that time difference would matter to me, but I like mine.

And after forgetting mine outside for weeks in the mud, I also am impressed by how tough it is

All that said, I do think orbital cutting and an adjustable foot would be nice to have. Maybe the 2017 model will be better

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow, kinda disappointed, but the first 3 are all brushless,
    I like my Bosch alot, the only thing I am not liking on the Bosch, being compared to my older Bosch ni-cad, is that two speed selector and locking switch, I actually preferred the old style better,
    Hopefully Bosch will update the sawzall to be more competitive, that being said, they do have a comfortable grip and the weight is decent.

This is the old style

Anonymous

Found a great shootout on all the cordless recip saws

Interestingly the bosch came in dead last, I wonder where their new brushless would be

https://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/best-cordless-reciprocating-saw-shootout/26835/

Your link doesn’t work, At least for me…

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i havnet used any bosch cordless recips so i cant really say,, their near non existant locally.. i know that pretty much all of the companies are going to have a really hard time beating milwaukee m18 fuel one key saw a few other tool testers i know have had their hands on it and are blown away by it,, even when comparing to the standard fuel model

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

That Bosch recip is an older design compared to most of the other saws there. Bosch does have a new 18V recip design that’s brushless and unconventional looking, but it hasn’t been released in North America yet.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I was really shocked too…Ryobi???! I mean, come on!

Another thing that these tests really can’t take into account is the long term pay off. Which tools actually last and last no matter what you put them through.

And I would agree with @montreal_medic, less user fatigue is a huge issue when using a recip for any amount of time.

That being said, I would love for Bosch to come out with a brushless recip with an optional orbital function too. Brushless just seems like the way to go for everything.

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Hard to compare an older model tool against everyone’s newest brushless tool and hope to come out on top. The results are probably fair even if we don’t agree with them. One thing that has been mentioned is tool longevity we know that Bosch makes a tough long lasting tool that counts as well. The new recip saw GSA 18V-32 Professional 18V Reciprocating Saw that has been released in Europe and the Pacific hopefully will be released in NA soon. It is brushless and hopefully improved all around.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I love my Milwaukee fuel sawzall, if Bosch was able to compete with Milwaukee on this one it would be a big step in the right direction

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@theamcguy that’s a really good point. I’ll be looking forward to a rematch when it finally makes its way over here.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I really wasn’t too surprised at all. Makita #1 nothing new there. TTI with 3 recips in the top 6. Ridgid at #5,,, wow way better that I expected.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Bosch managed to land 2nd for readers choice in the 2017 tool guide by fine woodworking.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

All that said, I do think orbital cutting and an adjustable foot would be nice to have. Maybe the 2017 model will be better

Yeah I wish I had these two on mine sometimes. But it is quite comfortable to use, even though it had no vibration control my hands aren’t numb afterwards like with the corded Hitachi I have.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Hard to compare an older model tool against everyone’s newest brushless tool and hope to come out on top. The results are probably fair even if we don’t agree with them. One thing that has been mentioned is tool longevity we know that Bosch makes a tough long lasting tool that counts as well. The new recip saw GSA 18V-32 Professional 18V Reciprocating Saw that has been released in Europe and the Pacific hopefully will be released in NA soon. It is brushless and hopefully improved all around.

They say the new bosch is a beast. The old one is lack luster. That’s the problem with Bosch. They release over seas and lose the market share here. I wonder why.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Yeah I wish I had these two on mine sometimes. But it is quite comfortable to use, even though it had no vibration control my hands aren’t numb afterwards like with the corded Hitachi I have.

The adjustment for the foot plate was nice, I had it and used it many times on the older ni-cad, just that vibration was definitely not the best on the old model. After using both the old ni-cad and now the lithium one, I can definitely see a improvement in the vibration between the two.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m a big fan of my single battery Makita. Obviously the model reviewed was a dual battery, but they are quite similar. Compared to a brushed Dewalt and the Bosch model, it cuts like a corded model (maybe a 12 or 13A series).

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I’m a big fan of my single battery Makita. Obviously the model reviewed was a dual battery, but they are quite similar. Compared to a brushed Dewalt and the Bosch model, it cuts like a corded model (maybe a 12 or 13A series).

I saw a comparison between the single and dual battery model and there was almost no diferecne in power. The biggest difference was in run time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.541 seconds