dcsimg

Cordless… Lawn Tools?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 266 total)
  • Author

I have always thought we were still far off from the day when a cordless mower would be something worth considering… but it sure seems like Pro Tool Reviews is fond on this EGO stuff:

http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/ego-56v-lawn-mower-blower-trimmer/10701

Whaddya think? If you have a huge yard, a sitting mower is still top on the list I am sure. But for a smaller yard, this cordless stuff seems great

John S

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

My mother in law has a 36V Black and Decker mower, and I was shocked with how well it worked! Not only for a battery powered mower, but also for a Black and Decker! ๐Ÿ˜‰

She doesn’t have a huge yard, I’d say average size, but it cuts the grass with no problem, and still has plenty of power once I’m done cutting.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I have a bunch of the 36v B&D tools (hedge trimmers, string trimmer, blower) and they work pretty well. A cordless mower would be cool.

Resident Sign Guy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have the 20V B&D system and I am looking to upgrade to the 36V system maybe after the season. Looks like a good system.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I was looking at the cordless stuff… I have a small yard and those mowers are a lot lighter than a gas one (and quieter). I saw an older model on clearance at HD and I should have bought it, I know I’ll be kicking myself when I go to mow this year.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have half an acre and I don,t think cordless tools would last very long in my yard .

I invested in the B&D 20v system and it does not last long, even in a small yard. I have their string trimmer and leaf blower. I have to change batteries all the time. Stay away from these models.

I have half an acre and I don,t think cordless tools would last very long in my yard .

haha not yet, at least!! Give it another 5-10 years and I bet you may be using them – if they can survive being stored away for 10 months of the year with your winters ๐Ÿ˜›

My mother in law has a 36V Black and Decker mower, and I was shocked with how well it worked! Not only for a battery powered mower, but also for a Black and Decker!

That is pleasantly surprising indeed!!! I think Lonโ€™s point on the 20v is probably fair warning as well.

I think the challenge with lawn tools and cordless systems is the fact that within 1-2 years the cordless tools will be obsolete AND very well may be breathing their final breaths by then… so perhaps that sort of life-of-tool isnโ€™t the worst in the world, but you can get a decent gas mower to last a whole lot longer….

John S

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

True, John. I’ve used a cheap battery powered string trimmer (not mine, I wouldn’t be caught dead owning one!) and it worked okay…if the grass was short. I really like the low noise and low vibration. But it had no power.
    Of course, most of the cordless lawn and garden tools aren’t aimed at people that have a lot of acreage. But some are! I’d like to try some of the ones that claim to cut two miles on a charge or whatever they are.

SamM
    Pro

Wouldn’t help me. 4.1 acres here.

I like the idea of a cordless string trimmer (we call them whipper snippers here) if it was powerful enough. The gas ones are really loud.

OTOH, the attachments for some of the gas ones are nice. Like the roller brush for cleaning driveways.

My mower is the 2nd oldest type of cordless (the oldest being a goat), the reel mower. Needs no batteries or gas, no recharging, just me. In the sun, trying to avoid stepping in dog turds that I missed picking up prior to mowing. The swish-swish sound of the reel revolving is therapeutic, and the only fumes to speak of are of the occasional self-generated variety (ahh… beans with dinner!).

I’m guessing this isn’t quite in-line with the thread, but for those with reasonably flat lawns and the predisposition to push against a little resistance, reel mowers really save on money, gas, fumes, carb rebuilds, battery replacements, power, etc… And, the modern reel mowers are sooo much lighter (metal frame) and easier to push (ball bearings) than the older wooden ones with greased axles. These are not your grandfather’s reel mowers. Paid under $150 for mine and it’s paid for itself many times over!

As to battery-powered lawn tools, I detest my cheap-o craftsman (rebadged WORX, as it turns out) line trimmer (weed wacker). The battery would never hold a good charge, it eats line for lunch, and it does a iffy job. I still use it, because dang it I paid good money for it, but I’m not getting a good return on it and I know it. When it does die, I’m totally going for a corded type (Stihl FSE60 I think… apparently it’s head and shoulders above any other non-gas weed whacker). Maybe if I’d started with a better battery-powered trimmer I wouldn’t have such a low opinion of them, but I totally got burned on the Craftsman/WORX trimmer.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

Kobalt has cordless lawn tools as well.

I have a cordless hedge trimmer and it works great — better than the gas powered one I used to use and no danger of cutting power cords (which I have done). The battery lasts for 3/4 of my backyard if heavy trimming needed. It is a Ryobi with the small battery. If I got the larger one I would have enough juice to finish the whole thing. In So Cal I have to trim all the time — stuff just grows year round for the most part here. Having the light weight and convenience of cordless is tough to beat. I would buy a cordless lawnmower too…of course here lots can be pretty small so it would work fine. I could see how larger lots would be more of a hassle having to charge batteries often.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Makita has a line of lawn tools also.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve never been a fan. I had a 28V mower and went back to gas. I think most lawns or gardening is just to much for battery operated cordless. I will stick to my gas cordless.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

My mower is the 2nd oldest type of cordless (the oldest being a goat), the reel mower

Hilarious post – and full of helpful thoughts as well!! I have definitely considered getting a reel mower – this one actually:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Inch-Staysharp-Reel-Mower/dp/B0045VL1OO/
    What do ya think? I have a super tiny yard in the middle of daโ€™ city in the Twin Cities

I think you are probably right that a safer and better investment may be considering electric tools instead – its not like most of us donโ€™t already have enough extension cords to be able to handle it ๐Ÿ™‚

John S

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I see guys in the city all the time who have tiny lots but still cut their grass with a riding lawnmower, Talk about over kill ๐Ÿ™‚

I see guys in the city all the time who have tiny lots but still cut their grass with a riding lawnmower, Talk about over kill

That always cracks me up when I see it too. ๐Ÿ™‚ I am sure there are a those who have a hard time walking a mower but usually they don’t look it when you see them.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Don’t think it would work for me…I’ve got a 60″ Toro zero turn and it still takes 3 or 4 hours..

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have a super tiny yard in the middle of daโ€™ city in the Twin Cities

What city do you live in?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 266 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.804 seconds