dcsimg

Coping Sled

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

First I ever hear of a coping sled. What is it for/how does it work? What does it replace or simplify?

It looks like it does the same thing as a SCMS.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

First I ever hear of a coping sled. What is it for/how does it work? What does it replace or simplify?

well since i have a scms I don’t really need one. I have to say my scms solves alot of problems and is a pleasure to work with.

Im not sure. I’m still very confused here, so Im hoping someone for confirmation or correction, but…. Is it just for cabinet doors, for cope and stile joints?

When I read coping, I was thinking baseboards, crown, etc. Trim, you know?

But reading up on it, how does it differ from using a miter gauge on a router table? I clearly am still missing the key piece of the puzzle

Due to space constraints, I had to banish my big scms to a small storage closet in the basement, only to be taken out when really needed. My router table is always set up, as it sits on my bench. Does this somehow let me replace the scms for cutoffs? (Or cleaning up the cut after using a circular, or jig saw?

Ive been planning to just build a crosscut sled for my little GTS1031, to cover almost all of my crosscutting, (and will pull out the scms when I redo all the trim in the house, and projects like that). Is a coping sled an alternative?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Im not sure. I’m still very confused here, so Im hoping someone for confirmation or correction, but…. Is it just for cabinet doors, for cope and stile joints?

A coping sled is primarily for stile and rail joints. It’s also good for holding small parts in place and passing over the router bit.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

My first time too. Having just done some doors using coping bits for the first time, I can see the advantage of having a fixture to hold the rails while cutting profile on their ends.

I will build one for sure. It will be useful for more than doors, I know.

I’ve never heard of a coping sled til now. Very iteresting! I’d try to make my own and buy T-tracks (good hardware) as suggested. Thanks.

Thanks to you, too, Andy for resurrecting this thread.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

The sled is to hold your parts square and inline with the fence. If you just hold the part sometimes you will go into the blade or bit to far when you pass through the opening in the fence. Another big advantage is you will not get blow out when you come off the bit.
    I usually just use a square piece of wood and hold it behind my work piece to hold square and to avoid blowout.
    I have been doing it for a long time and used to it. The sled is definitely a better way.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

When I read coping, I was thinking baseboards, crown, etc. Trim, you know?

No it’s not for baseboard or crown.

My first time too. Having just done some doors using coping bits for the first time, I can see the advantage of having a fixture to hold the rails while cutting profile on their ends.

I think SS and RIO both summed it up.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.651 seconds