dcsimg

Coping Sled

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I like the idea but have never used one. I may have to try to make one.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

John, I made a sled a few weeks back and I love it. I would say about 1/3 of all of my table work now goes on the sled. It is a rock solid way to support your material and stay safe. If I was to do it again I would use a pre-made track insert.

If I was to do it again I would use a pre-made track insert.

Basically so that it would glide much more smoothly? Or is there another reason?

It is amazing how simple a sled like this can be, but it can make a big difference in safety/cut quality it seems

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

If I was to do it again I would use a pre-made track insert.

Basically so that it would glide much more smoothly? Or is there another reason?

It is amazing how simple a sled like this can be, but it can make a big difference in safety/cut quality it seems

I had to add a front plate on mine to keep the plywood slide tight in the track. It was only a few hundredths but when your on the table your point is to be exact. If you purchase the slides they have small adjustments you can make to keep they tight in the track. Also, invest in good toggle clamps like Bessey or Kreg and make sure they auto tighten.

woodman_412

I have a very simple shop made sled that I use when I’m making doors. It’s pretty much just a piece of Masonite with a fence and a toggle clamp mounted on it. It’s very simple but works well.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It’s on my list of jigs to make. Sheesh, a guy can have as much space invested in jigs and add ons as the tool itself. I need more room.

I sure hope BTP fixes the links opening in the same tab as the forum… I always forget to right click and open a new tab.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I have a very simple shop made sled that I use when I’m making doors. It’s pretty much just a piece of Masonite with a fence and a toggle clamp mounted on it. It’s very simple but works well.

I have done the same thing to work on smaller parts. I value my fingers. I am making a larger one to hold some 16″ x 3.5″ pieces that I want to put on edge profile on after cutting out some inside curves. Bessey clamps for me too Jason.

The Bessey clamps are hard to beat for the price – they are a great deal whereas the Kreg Automaxx are quite a bit more – and though they are a bit faster to use, they are almost double…

Sheesh, a guy can have as much space invested in jigs and add ons as the tool itself.

Ain’t that the truth!

John S

Coping Sleds are to router tables what cross cut sleds are too table saws.

Orange County, CA

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Brad wrote:
    Sheesh, a guy can have as much space invested in jigs and add ons as the tool itself.
    Ain’t that the truth!

The worst thing about jig storage is the odd shapes that they come in. Even my router coping jig is tough to store since it has that thin apron that I worry about it breaking off.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I am hoping to find one on a good sale. If i dont before i need one before that ill try making one

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve actually never done stile and rail joinery, but this looks like the way to do it. End grain routing is tricky if the piece is small. Sometimes I will use my Kreg T track miter gauge but I don’t have clamps to hold the work piece down.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

staker
    Pro

It’s on my to do list.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

if you havent picked one up yet you might want to take a look here
    http://www.infinitytools.com/Coping_Crosscut-Sleds/products/1382/

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

if you havent picked one up yet you might want to take a look here

http://www.infinitytools.com/Coping_Crosscut-Sleds/products/1382/

That looks like a very nice one, I’lll keep in in mind.

yellaD
    Pro

I’ve never heard of a coping sled til now. Very iteresting! I’d try to make my own and buy T-tracks (good hardware) as suggested. Thanks.

yellaD
    Pro

I’d also end up spending more on the sled than the router, lol

First I ever hear of a coping sled. What is it for/how does it work? What does it replace or simplify?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

thats quite interesting, I would attempted one, once I get around to getting a router table. It seems like it would make things easier.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.747 seconds