dcsimg

Contractor Talk forums emailed me

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I never minded a DIYer asking a simple question, but the ones that would pose as a contractor when clearly from their question they weren’t always got to me. Or worse, the ones that were trying to get info so they could flame their current contractor.

Until recently though, the mods used to do a pretty good job of either filtering that stuff out or shutting it down quickly. Lately, not so much….

I never minded a DIYer asking a simple question, but the ones that would pose as a contractor when clearly from their question they weren’t always got to me. Or worse, the ones that were trying to get info so they could flame their current contractor.

Until recently though, the mods used to do a pretty good job of either filtering that stuff out or shutting it down quickly. Lately, not so much….

Yeah I think that’s why I slowed down over there. I found this place because of Dirty and Cali and its a nice refreshing place. Lots of people sharing a common interest. It doesn’t matter if you do it as a profession or not, you can still learn and contribute.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

I haven’t posted on Contractor Talk forums in years and they never bothered to email me about anything.<br>
    Now, all of a sudden, I get this weird email titled ‘Contractor Talk is your forum, so stop by and speak up!’

Got me to thinking. I wonder if a lot of their members stopped posting lately due to coming here to BTP??

That’s the only thing I can think of. Anyone else get this email?

If Contractor Talk traffic is indeed slowing down, they will most likely be at risk with their sponsors, I would think…

i got the same email

the emails started after nathan sold ct and angus started remodelers zone. yes there is quite a bit of stupid stuff over there but its usually do to people not following the rules.. that page is for contractors only not diyers and homeowners.. there have been countless diyers and h.os trying to pose as contractors to fish for information on pricing and legal stuff.

That’s really weird Jeff. Hit a button by accident?

We try our best to smoke out the HO’s. Sometimes it is difficult. I lobbied hard to not allow any of the service providers. I felt that it was going to bring it down a notch.

Yes, BTW, if some of you don’t know…I am one of the moderators there. We aren’t admins, so some of the site stuff is completely out of our control. It’s their site, they can do whatever they want with it. We offer suggestions as moderators, but the end decision is not ours. Some days we wake up and things are just done. The edit button was a big discussion, not only at CT, but the other sites.

I didn’t get an email. I thought maybe it was just to people who hadn’t posted in awhile. I asked Leo and he said he got one. The person with the absolute most posts gets an email asking him to post more lol.

the emails started after nathan sold ct and angus started remodelers zone. yes there is quite a bit of stupid stuff over there but its usually do to people not following the rules.. that page is for contractors only not diyers and homeowners.. there have been countless diyers and h.os trying to pose as contractors to fish for information on pricing and legal stuff.

That’s really weird Jeff. Hit a button by accident?

We try our best to smoke out the HO’s. Sometimes it is difficult. I lobbied hard to not allow any of the service providers. I felt that it was going to bring it down a notch.

Yes, BTW, if some of you don’t know…I am one of the moderators there. We aren’t admins, so some of the site stuff is completely out of our control. It’s their site, they can do whatever they want with it. We offer suggestions as moderators, but the end decision is not ours. Some days we wake up and things are just done. The edit button was a big discussion, not only at CT, but the other sites.

I didn’t get an email. I thought maybe it was just to people who hadn’t posted in awhile. I asked Leo and he said he got one. The person with the absolute most posts gets an email asking him to post more lol.

Hey @KentWhitten, just want you and any mods on this site or others to know I don’t envy your job. I can’t imagine having to deal with some of the bs you guys have to. To some extent that’s a thankless job and I know I couldn’t/wouldn’t want to do it…so Thank you.

Andrew

You are welcome. One needs a thick skin on some things. I’ve had phone calls from irate people. We had issues with the property preservation group. I don’t want to say they are an abnormality in construction, but there are many things that just about everyone takes as standard procedures…except them. Very odd.

That’s why I have Google Voice…for the nut jobs.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

just want you and any mods on this site or others to know I don’t envy your job. I can’t imagine having to deal with some of the bs you guys have to. To some extent that’s a thankless job and I know I couldn’t/wouldn’t want to do it…so Thank you.

They are actually quite amazing. I mean they are all successful business owners and still make time to clean up messes over there. At no charge! We always talk about how time is money and they get nothing to work their magic. I would never want that job.

You are welcome. One needs a thick skin on some things. I’ve had phone calls from irate people. We had issues with the property preservation group. I don’t want to say they are an abnormality in construction, but there are many things that just about everyone takes as standard procedures…except them. Very odd.

Oh man I forgot about the Property Preservation guys…I was glad when that section was moved to its own site…lol!

Andrew

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

I don’t post there at all anymore. I am not a huge forum person (five years a member there and I was almost at enough posts to get into P&R). I like the people and the pace better here. Plus there’s an incentive for me to jump in and post too.

Oh man I forgot about the Property Preservation guys…I was glad when that section was moved to its own site…lol!

I think I was really instrumental in getting that moved lol. I had it out with a few of them, they no likey me. We made some peace though. I told Nathan that he should make the two guys I argued with the most moderators lol. That’s how I got even hehe.

I haven’t posted on Contractor Talk forums in years and they never bothered to email me about anything.<br>
    Now, all of a sudden, I get this weird email titled ‘Contractor Talk is your forum, so stop by and speak up!’

Got me to thinking. I wonder if a lot of their members stopped posting lately due to coming here to BTP??

That’s the only thing I can think of. Anyone else get this email?

If Contractor Talk traffic is indeed slowing down, they will most likely be at risk with their sponsors, I would think…

I received the same email the other day. I don’t post too much there but thats typical for me. Im off and on with CT all the time.

We had issues with the property preservation group.

Those guys are crazy weird… I’d probably do anything else in the world before I got into that craziness, talk about a race to the bottom…

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

Lots of people sharing a common interest. It doesn’t matter if you do it as a profession or not, you can still learn and contribute.

I just started reading all the posts on this thread. I think the above quote sums up exactly what BTP is all about. Thanks guys for keeping this place different from others.

If you tried to talk openly about BTP over at CT it would last about 30 seconds. That says something right there.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

At first I was confused about the the edit button, I was under the impression that the mods voted to have that added. It was soon clear that it had nothing to do with the mods at all. I m glad it didn’t because my disappointment could be directed at the site and not the mods.

If you tried to talk openly about BTP over at CT it would last about 30 seconds. That says something right there.

It depends really. If someone posts “hey everyone…let’s all go to the BTP site. They have free tools!” then of course we would shut it down. It’s mining. And I’m sure that the mods here would feel the same way. This thread showing in negative light is no concern to BTP, just as we would let fly a negative thread on JLC at CT.

Some things can get very gray though. We need to moderate in the best interest of the forum owners, whether it’s Nathan, Escalate Media, or Bosch BTP. Sometimes a decision can be tough.

redwood
    Pro

I asked on CT many months back about promoting BTP (namless at the time)on their site. I was politely told that it wouldn’t be appropriate. I could understand that. So I refrained from directly mentioning it. Then our gift packages came. Just posted one picture and I got a lot of PM’s.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

And this place has never been the same ….

in reality though, It’s nice having the CT guy’s here that came.

At first I was confused about the the edit button, I was under the impression that the mods voted to have that added. It was soon clear that it had nothing to do with the mods at all. I m glad it didn’t because my disappointment could be directed at the site and not the mods.

Hey hey, I see how it is >:o
    haha 🙂

And this place has never been the same ….

in reality though, It’s nice having the CT guy’s here that came.

I agree – we have added enough new people to really help spur on fresh conversation without being overwhelmed by a flood of new people…! It has been great

John S

Kevin6
    Pro

Thanks all for making this a great community. We are also fans of contractor talk (except for some of the craziness that has nothing to do with construction!)

I think we’ll reach out and ask if they want a free banner ad on our site. As you see, we promote other relevant tool blogs and bloggers already. (Todd & Rob have been great!)

What do you think?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.782 seconds