dcsimg

Concrete board, Exterior use.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I am planning of re skirting my mobile home. I used some of this 3 years ago on a section and it seems to be holding up.

https://www.rona.ca/en/durock-cement-board-05285030

My thoughts are that it is meant to live in the bathroom with some pretty wild humidity swings. How long do you think I will get out of it as an exterior treatment?

My current skirting I put in 12 or so years ago. Some 3/4″ exterior plywood I got for free. I am really not fond of metal or vinyl in this use. I have never had to plug in my heat tape on the water line feed and have never had it freeze up either.

The board will be in contact with the soil. I install it about 3″ in to prevent critters getting in. This time I plan on digging a trench about 6″ deep, lining it with landscape fabric, installing the board to about 3″ below grade, then filling the trench with pea gravel. Mice and such cannot burrow into pea gravel as it collapses in as they dig. It will also help in the case of frost heave.

Not sure if, or what I will finish it with. Perhaps paint. On the front perhaps some fake stone or brick facing type veneer.

Thanks guys.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

How long do you think I will get out of it as an exterior treatment?

I really don’t think it would survive very long. Woudn’t it fall apart if it froze?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

From Durock install instructions that fit this exterior install…..

• Adaptable for fences, mobile home skirting, agricultural buildings, garage wainscoting and various exterior synthetic
    stucco systems

Exterior Applications In exterior applications, USG Durock® cement board should not be left uncovered for a period
    of time exceeding 90 days. Discoloration or staining may occur due to exposure to the elements which will not affect
    performance of the panel. Finishes, leveling/skim coats and basecoats shall not be applied to a USG Durock® cement
    board panel that is wet or frozen or that contains frost. After application, and for at least 24 hours, finishes, leveling/
    skim coats and basecoats shall be effectively protected from rain and excessive moisture.
    In cold weather and during finish applications, USG Durock® cement board panel, skim or basecoat, mortar, finish
    material and air temperature must be at least 40°F, and must remain at this temperature or higher for at least 24 hours
    after application. Hot and dry weather may affect working time of leveling/skim or basecoat and finish materials. Under
    rapid drying conditions, dampening or light fogging of board, leveling/skim or basecoat surface may be required to
    improve workability.

3.7 Exterior Applications
    A Follow the exterior finish manufacturer’s recommendations for finishes applied to USG Durock® cement board.
    B It is recommended that a weather-resistive barrier and flashing be installed behind USG Durock® cement board in direct applied
    finish applications to provide a means for draining any intruding moisture safely from the exterior of the building.
    C Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation, design professional or contract documents for proper sealants and
    flashings at openings such as windows and doors.

Brittle coatings, such as epoxy coatings, are not recommended for use with USG Durock® cement board.
    USG Durock® cement board is intended for use with tile, thin brick and exterior stucco coatings only.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

From Durock install instructions that fit this exterior install…..

• Adaptable for fences, mobile home skirting, agricultural buildings, garage wainscoting and various exterior synthetic
    stucco systems

Exterior Applications In exterior applications, USG Durock® cement board should not be left uncovered for a period
    of time exceeding 90 days. Discoloration or staining may occur due to exposure to the elements which will not affect
    performance of the panel. Finishes, leveling/skim coats and basecoats shall not be applied to a USG Durock® cement
    board panel that is wet or frozen or that contains frost. After application, and for at least 24 hours, finishes, leveling/
    skim coats and basecoats shall be effectively protected from rain and excessive moisture.
    In cold weather and during finish applications, USG Durock® cement board panel, skim or basecoat, mortar, finish
    material and air temperature must be at least 40°F, and must remain at this temperature or higher for at least 24 hours
    after application. Hot and dry weather may affect working time of leveling/skim or basecoat and finish materials. Under
    rapid drying conditions, dampening or light fogging of board, leveling/skim or basecoat surface may be required to
    improve workability.

3.7 Exterior Applications
    A Follow the exterior finish manufacturer’s recommendations for finishes applied to USG Durock® cement board.
    B It is recommended that a weather-resistive barrier and flashing be installed behind USG Durock® cement board in direct applied
    finish applications to provide a means for draining any intruding moisture safely from the exterior of the building.
    C Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation, design professional or contract documents for proper sealants and
    flashings at openings such as windows and doors.

Brittle coatings, such as epoxy coatings, are not recommended for use with USG Durock® cement board.
    USG Durock® cement board is intended for use with tile, thin brick and exterior stucco coatings only.

That is awesome! Thank you very much for finding that and sharing.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Thank you very much for finding that and sharing.

What you intend is basically how it’s used on an outside BBQ.

Doobie

Glad you brought this up Jim, you’re giving me another possible way of skirting my structures on piers that I never heard of in fact.

Do you think 6in is deep enough?

Oh, never knew that about pea gravel and mice. Makes sense when you think about it.

Mice and such cannot burrow into pea gravel as it collapses in as they dig. It will also help in the case of frost heave.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Glad you brought this up Jim, you’re giving me another possible way of skirting my structures on piers that I never heard of in fact.

Oh, never knew that about pea gravel and mice. Makes sense when you think about it.

Mice and such cannot burrow into pea gravel as it collapses in as they dig. It will also help in the case of frost heave.

It seemed to work with the plywood skirting. I may go a tad deeper, I am only giving a very rough estimate.

Doobie

It seemed to work with the plywood skirting. I may go a tad deeper, I am only giving a very rough estimate.

A buddy of mine went over a foot with galv quarter inch wire mesh on his. Up til now, that’s what I was thinking of doing.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

A buddy of mine went over a foot with galv quarter inch wire mesh on his. Up til now, that’s what I was thinking of doing.

Another method is to come out flat about a foot. Most critters burrow up against the side and never think to move back a ways to start their hole.

Doobie

Another method is to come out flat about a foot. Most critters burrow up against the side and never think to move back a ways to start their hole.

I’d heard that also and is why where my structures will have two foot wide old patio stones more or less out of sight where the structure is parralel to my side or back property fence.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That is very interesting use of tile underlayment. I don’t know what to say about it’s use as a siding product.

Hi Jim – any updates on how this worked out? I’m in a similar situation with a single storey addition on piers currently skirted in plywood. Looking to update with something to have a more similar look to the parging on the original house. The ground contact and resulting moisture with the concrete board is what I’m most concerned about.

I am planning of re skirting my mobile home. I used some of this 3 years ago on a section and it seems to be holding up.

https://www.rona.ca/en/durock-cement-board-05285030

My thoughts are that it is meant to live in the bathroom with some pretty wild humidity swings. How long do you think I will get out of it as an exterior treatment?

My current skirting I put in 12 or so years ago. Some 3/4″ exterior plywood I got for free. I am really not fond of metal or vinyl in this use. I have never had to plug in my heat tape on the water line feed and have never had it freeze up either.

The board will be in contact with the soil. I install it about 3″ in to prevent critters getting in. This time I plan on digging a trench about 6″ deep, lining it with landscape fabric, installing the board to about 3″ below grade, then filling the trench with pea gravel. Mice and such cannot burrow into pea gravel as it collapses in as they dig. It will also help in the case of frost heave.

Not sure if, or what I will finish it with. Perhaps paint. On the front perhaps some fake stone or brick facing type veneer.

Thanks guys.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

updates on how this worked out

It’s holding up just fine. No finishing at all on it and the oldest section is performing like a champ.

Doobie

I wonder if the roll/paint on RedGard stuff for using it in showers where the boards go into the dirt would not be a good idea to prolong its longevity.

https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/reference-library/videos/how-to-install-redgard-waterproofing-and-crack-prevention-membrane.aspx

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I wonder if the roll/paint on RedGard stuff for using it in showers where the boards go into the dirt would not be a good idea to prolong its longevity.

It may. I have the board in a trench that is filled with drainage rock/pea gravel, so the water does not stay in contact with it anyway. There is at least a couple of inches of the gravel below the lowest edge of the board. I lined the trench with landscape fabric so the gravel does not get contaminated with soil also.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

It’s holding up just fine. No finishing at all on it and the oldest section is performing like a champ.

That is good news that concrete board is holding good for you.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Did you have to do anything special for the cut ends as to seal them , or it was fine and not necessary.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Did you have to do anything special for the cut ends as to seal them , or it was fine and not necessary.

Everything was fine as is. It seems to be pretty consistant from edge to middle regardless.

Everything was fine as is. It seems to be pretty consistant from edge to middle regardless.

Nice , that’s good to hear , sorry Jim , I wasn’t subscribed to this thread ,
    I recall that work you did , it was a great job , and nicely done , the next owner will be definitely getting a nice home 👍

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.295 seconds