dcsimg

Compressor setup and line drops

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I installed a 60GAL compressor and ran lines to control the temp of the air and moisture in it.

First I hooked up an hour meter to my compressor so I can monitor usage.
    I ran 1″ galvanized pipe to two drops in my garage. The first one is approx 25′ in pipe from the tank and the second one is close to 50′ from it. The furthest drop will be setup for using paint guns and sand blasting media. Still have to install the dryer in that location.
    There is a water collection drop below each connection and an intermediate water drop in between both drops.

First drop.. In this pic you can see the water collection drop just opposite the man door.

Second drop just on the other side of the garage door.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Awesome setup, you definitely should have no water issues in those lines as long as you empty them every so often. On one industrial installation we did of air lines, we put pipe sights 2′ above the water drain to have a visual indicator of when to call maintenance to empty them.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You will find with line drops that in order to keep hose clutter off the floor they really need to circle the shop. I try to keep as much hose off the floor as possible and use over head reels for everything.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks pretty nice, I almost did something like that but instead put a reel up above the ceiling in my shop with just a small hole with a fairlead for the hose. I was able to get 75′ of 1/2″ hose on it, It works fine for my needs. Oh, Then just this year I piped up my rolling work bench with an inlet and 5 outlets including another 20′ 3/8″ hose

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Looks pretty nice, I almost did something like that but instead put a reel up above the ceiling in my shop with just a small hole with a fairlead for the hose. I was able to get 75′ of 1/2″ hose on it, It works fine for my needs. Oh, Then just this year I piped up my rolling work bench with an inlet and 5 outlets including another 20′ 3/8″ hose

Is that green hose a garden hose ?

Awesome setup, you definitely should have no water issues in those lines as long as you empty them every so often. On one industrial installation we did of air lines, we put pipe sights 2′ above the water drain to have a visual indicator of when to call maintenance to empty them.

I’ve never heard of pipe sights before. Tried Google but can’t find anything. Do you have any product information on these sights?

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Then just this year I piped up my rolling work bench

@Dabbs – You using PVC for an air line?
    From OSHA – It’s prohibited. https://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html
    I’d love to do it because of price and ease of installation. There’s not a big safety margin there though, and lots of manufacturers say not to do it.
    Am I just hearing the weird stuff that can happen. Is PVC common for compessed air by BTP members? How high a pressure and what the temperature swings, both ambient and internal? What diameter?

I’ve never heard of pipe sights before.

If it’s what I’m thinking of, it’s like a visual level indicator for oil on a pump. Got to be able to stand the pressure though. I think I’ll just drain once a week.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is that green hose a garden hose ?

LOL no, It’s actually a 3/8″ oxy side of a dual hose oxy/acet set up I had laying around. I used the red acet hose for the pigtails on my air tools, Although you use acet at a really low pressure (7-8 or less) the hose is still rated as high as any regular air hose. And if I remember right it was a lot cheaper at the time to simply buy it this way

Then just this year I piped up my rolling work bench

From OSHA – It’s prohibited. https://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html
    I’d love to do it because of price and ease of installation. There’s not a big safety margin there though, and lots of manufacturers say not to do it.
    Am I just hearing the weird stuff that can happen. Is PVC common for compessed air by BTP members? How high a pressure and what the temperature swings, both ambient and internal? What diameter?

I’ve never heard of pipe sights before.

If it’s what I’m thinking of, it’s like a visual level indicator for oil on a pump. Got to be able to stand the pressure though. I think I’ll just drain once a week.

Thanks, I’ll try looking that up.

Dabbs is using PEX for his hoses. There is a PEX thread somewhere on this site.

Edit: Here is the link for the PEX thread.
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/pex-for-compressed-air-lines/

Anonymous
    Inactive

No no, It’s PEX. My compressor goes up to 140 and it’s no problem, It’s easier and faster to work with then anything else. Cuts easy, bends pretty well and takes two seconds to connect using the crimp rings, I used 1/2″ on this job. Oh, And the tubing itself is super cheap too. Here’s some of the fittings I used

EDIT; I should also say that another one of the great things about it is it’s super simple to change when you change your mind LOL, Like I did a couple times with this job. Ya simply cut it and crimp on a new fitting, Takes less then a minute.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I’ve never heard of pipe sights before. Tried Google but can’t find anything. Do you have any product information on these sights?

Try to lookup ‘Pipe sight glass’…

@58chev nice job.. You could add an inline dryer at the spray outlet for even more protection

--Steve

Doobie

Thanks for that link Eric! I learned something new today although my plumber buddy says he dislikes Pex himself for anything. Nothing in his mind would outlast copper. I guess he’s old school.

For for ease of installation and if you’re just hobbying, Pex would be an acceptable alternative in my mind.

Anonymous
    Inactive

yeah they use it in houses a lot now too, the house next door to me is about 5 years old and I watched them plumb that up. it looked too quick n Easy. I thought it was kinda like cheating lol

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Dabbs is using PEX for his hoses. There is a PEX thread somewhere on this site.

Thank you for the link.
    I see that now that I’ve flipped and zoomed it.
    That’s rated at 160 psig at 75F. Gotta research it.

Attachments:
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

No no, It’s PEX. My compressor goes up to 140 and it’s no problem, It’s easier and faster to work with then anything else. Cuts easy, bends pretty well and takes two seconds to connect using the crimp rings, I used 1/2″ on this job. Oh, And the tubing itself is super cheap too. Here’s some of the fittings I used

EDIT; I should also say that another one of the great things about it is it’s super simple to change when you change your mind LOL, Like I did a couple times with this job. Ya simply cut it and crimp on a new fitting, Takes less then a minute.

When I plumbed my system using 1″ Galvanized, PEX was new on the market and I wasn’t aware that it could handle over 100PSI.

But does it come in a larger size? Like 1″

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

When I plumbed my system using 1″ Galvanized, PEX was new on the market and I wasn’t aware that it could handle over 100PSI.

But does it come in a larger size? Like 1″

I am pretty sure that you can get PEX up to 2″. I know a couple guys that have had PEX for compressed air for a few years now and they have not had any trouble with it.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Have you seen these? I had one and liked it .
    http://toolmonger.com/2009/02/10/automatic-compressor-drain/

Thanks for that link Eric! I learned something new today although my plumber buddy says he dislikes Pex himself for anything. Nothing in his mind would outlast copper. I guess he’s old school.

For for ease of installation and if you’re just hobbying, Pex would be an acceptable alternative in my mind.

I was looking at doing PEX for my garage but for the little amount I’m doing and the price of the tools I need, I decided against it. If you have a plumber friend with the tools it should be really easy and like Boyd said easy to relocate if you change your mind.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I get by just fine with a retractable reel hanging above my work bench. The compressor is along a wall and a 3/8″ hose feeds the reel. Granted, I’m only running nail guns and a blow gun, all of which happens at the bench. Occasionally I’ll drag a hose outside and spray stain or lacquer. I’m kind of envious of the fancy air system setups you guys have! I don’t even have a filter…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I know a couple guys that have had PEX for compressed air for a few years now and they have not had any trouble with it.

Must be some strong stuff. Guess if need to run any more drops next time I’ll use pex. Definitely faster.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.544 seconds