dcsimg

Comparitive delta head sander to the RO90?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Ya again at $120 really cant go wrong,

Yup, it’s in my check out on amazon.ca

Something that helps with the melting hook and loop pads is switching one out for another. I keep 120 grit on one and 220 another pad and just swap the pad when I change grits. This lets the first cool down while I’m using the other.

Thanks for that tip. Makes sense. I am hoping with the DC that it draws enough air over it to cool it off, but who knows.

I’ll start saving for the festool…

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

kzcarp
    Pro

You aren’t going to find a sander comparable to the ro-90. If you need corner sanding the dts-400 is great. Top notch dust collection, and generally a very handy tool to have.

kevin

Cmon Brad…..come to the dark side…..seriously though, the rotex mode is pretty wild but a firm hand is all it takes. I was going to get the 125 but the delta option was a real pleaser for me. Unbelievable sander, it was my first one from Festool. I also have the ES125 and it is a great general finish sander but the RO is by far my favorite.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

@chrisk1970

Chris, My gut says yes, my pocket book says no. I still need a jointer for the shop and I just wrote a big check for windows. ICF is on tuesday…

I might just hold off and save. That bosch unit is $170 cad so I am going to give the old Dremel a work over tomorrow with a delta head and see what I think

Brad T

Well your are right about hand sanding and truthfully I have read nothing but good things with the Bosch sander, hence the 6″ possibility for me. Plus a jointer would be nice, I don’t have one. That’s on my long list for the garage.

Brad – one of my favorite sanders and one of Festool’s hidden gems is the DTS 400 – it is a very good orbital sander with the delta head and the pad is rounded so you can sand right next to an edge without the sander bouncing all over the place. It is also less than the RO90. I also have it and it is a great sander as well, but the DTS covers more ground and is a really nice sander. In fact, the DTS400 would be one of the sanders I kept if I had to limit my current arsenal.

Another thing to consider is the DX93 – this is the older style delta head. I think it might be discontinued and so you can get it at a discount – very capable machine as well.

Of course Mafell as the 1/2 sheet sander that comes with a delta pad that clips to the front, but it is more than the RO90…

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I agree. But then it maybe wouldn’t get into the corners as well… it’s always a compromise

I have the DTS 400 and with the pointed front it gets into corners fine and with the straight sides it’s great for 90º areas.

Attachments:
    thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Thanks for the info on the DTS 400 Dirty and Scot. I will have to look into it as well.

Brad T

That puts the bosch 1294VSK back in the running as it has DC

I vote you give this a go since it seems to be really well received on amazon, but I can’t find any major tool blog reviews of it.

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It’s too much money at $170 That puts it close to the DTS400 and that is a sweet sander.

I’m going to put the 400 on the want list due to Scots and DWB recommendation.

And the RS90 on the someday list. 🙂

Brad T

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

I’ve been up in the air between the dts and the ro 90. I have a. Ets 125 and ro 125, they’re both fantastic machines. I’m thinking the smaller round pad on the 90 would be nice for smaller stock like face frames. I should really just go to my dealer and try them out I guess.

It’s too much money at $170 That puts it close to the DTS400 and that is a sweet sander.

I’m going to put the 400 on the want list due to Scots and DWB recommendation.

And the RS90 on the someday list. :-)

In that case, you may want to think forward about getting two sanders that take the same size sandpaper to be able to double dip on sandpaper

(and it doesnt help, but a couple guys at the FOG suggest that having the RO90, RO150, and ETS150/3 is the creme de la creme of sander combos)

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

couple guys at the FOG suggest that having the RO90, RO150, and ETS150/3 is the creme de la creme of sander combos

At almost 2K in sanders (and some consumables) they should be the creme de la creme!!

I am pretty happy with my bosch ROS20 and RO50 1/2 sheet. I am saving for the ROS65 it’s just the delta head that has me intrigued for getting into tight corners.

Brad T

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

At almost 2K in sanders (and some consumables) they should be the creme de la creme!!

I am pretty happy with my bosch ROS20 and RO50 1/2 sheet. I am saving for the ROS65 it’s just the delta head that has me intrigued for getting into tight corners.

If all you need is corners then just get the minimum tool needed and stretch the tool budget.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I would really opt for the DTS400 – it can be aggressive with coarser grit and once you use it for a little while and it breaks in it is ultra smooth. I use it all the time for edge work and of course, sanding into corners. I use it much more than my RO90. The 90 excels at really tight places and is versatile for taking one tool to a job with both heads. I also bought it primarily to aid my sanding of furniture in tighter areas where the round head will follow the RAS sander. But for delta options, the DTS wins in my book.

Orange County, CA

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’ve found as I start doing more finish work that the OMT delta head option just sucks, because it only oscillates instead of orbiting it really doesn’t do an even job (the outside of the triangle does the work because it moves more then the middle). On a job that is getting finished I wouldn’t use it. I would love an RO90, I have the RO150 and it’s a total beast of a sander, but had I not gotten it for a steal used with (for me) a lifetime supply of abrasive I wouldn’t have it. I think the 1294VSK is what I will go for as much as I love the features of the RO90 and being able to use it for other sanding as well – a really small sander that can be super aggressive in ROTEX mode would be handy sometimes.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

What is 1294vsk? I am looking for something that can stripdown a finish and then smooth it out. Not sure the DTS400 can do that.

The Fes finish book advises the DTS as a drywall trade tool, anyone using it for drywall?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

That dts400 does not look like a bad option at all

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Im bumping this……

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

What is 1294vsk? I am looking for something that can stripdown a finish and then smooth it out. Not sure the DTS400 can do that.

The Fes finish book advises the DTS as a drywall trade tool, anyone using it for drywall?

With an aggressive grit, I’m sure it could, but the ro line would be much more effective,

I’ve heard of a lot of folks on another site using the dts for drywall. Apparently it has sealed bearings or something, so festool will actually warranty it for drywall work.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.363 seconds