dcsimg

Comparitive delta head sander to the RO90?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

since I have upped my game in the sanding department, I am starting to look for a delta head sander (the triangle head) for getting into tighter spaces and corners.

I found the festool RO90 and I am sure it a kick but sander, but I don’t think it’s worth the $500 Maybe it is??

Is there anything else out there? I have a sanding pad for my OMT but I don’t think it’s more then a hobby type thing. It sucks.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Have you checked out other brands like Dewalt and Bosch ? I think Skil has one too .

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

The only bosch one I could find fits on the OMT. If anyone has an opinion on that??

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=MX30EL-37

Oh snap, I just found this guy. It looks to be a full on detail sander:

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=1294VSK

Brad T

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Ya that is the one I saw , it is much cheaper than the Festool too .

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I wonder how it compares to the multi tool. I’ll have to do some more research. The festool does have a round head and I believe it can be used as a polisher.

If any one uses their OMT for detail sanding I would love to here any feed back

Brad T

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Bosch has a green NAINA sander too.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Brad, I have the RO90 and it is honestly the best sander I have ever used. The head is a little small but the removable pad and Delta pad make this brushless wonder a real pleasure to use. The DC is awesome. I have been looking at some Bosch 6″ sanders as I have read some great things about them and don’t want to buy the RO150 if I can save a few hundred.

Brad, you are probably aware, but just in case, the RO90 also has 2 modes for sanding with a 3.5″ sanding pad besides a delta head that is swapped. It is a sweet sander and to think it is only a delta sander would be selling it short. I sure like mine.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Orbital Detail Sander Kit
    1294VSK

looks like a handy little sander and for that price one cant complain too much

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Brad, I have the RO90 and it is honestly the best sander I have ever used.

Brad, you are probably aware, but just in case, the RO90 also has 2 modes for sanding with a 3.5″ sanding pad besides a delta head that is swapped. It is a sweet sander and to think it is only a delta sander would be selling it short. I sure like mine.

Yup, I did lots of reading last night and you will be hard pressed to find anyone that does not like this sander. I do like the fact that it more versatile then just a delta sander, but the price does reflect that. It’s just hard for me to justify the cost when I can hand sand or hand polish something for almost nothing.

ugh. I was hoping that there was a better alternative.

Brad T

Come on @thedude306 you can’t expect things to be easy…lol. The one thing I have read is the RO90 is a bit of a wild sander to tame in agressive mode. All the Rotex sanders are. It took me a bit to get used to my 125. My partner still won’t use it.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

This thread hit home. I have been wanting to get a Festool Sander and Midi. It is a bit of money and my exact sanding needs are not specific. I like versatility. The 90dx would be perfect if it were bigger.
    I asked my Festool dealer why they dont have a Delta head on the bigger RO 125. He said the they already had a delta head finish sander on the market for years. He believed the RO90 was added to the line to pick up a market share with the Fein/multi tool triagular sanders. Not sure if I believe that, I too feel the multi tool sander are a hobby level tool that it.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve been happy with the delta head for my Bosch 3.0a OMT. It does everything I need it to.

If you go this route, just know that if you use it for extended time periods, the hooks on the pad are known to overheat and melt. This obviously ruins the pad and the paper won’t stick anymore. Replacements are cheap though.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

The 90dx would be perfect if it were bigger.

I agree. But then it maybe wouldn’t get into the corners as well… it’s always a compromise

I’ve been happy with the delta head for my Bosch 3.0a OMT. It does everything I need it to.

I may go this route to start and see where my needs take me. Thanks for the heads up on the pads.

Brad T

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have melted the hook & loop on the Fein multi sander, asking it to do too much.

I dont think you would lose anything with a delta head on a bigger Festie sander. You could just have a smaller snap on head. The 90 has a couple of larger heads that snap on.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

I moved into this Festool sander and 2 others for the dust collection. The Mrs. just can’t handle any dust anymore.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Good point on the DC and this is becoming a big issue for me now that I have started down that road. The mirka hand sander is so nice for DC.

It makes my ROS20 look horrible for DC (and it is) even hooked to a vac. I can’t wait to get the ROS6″ from the list.

That puts the bosch 1294VSK back in the running as it has DC

Brad T

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Good point on the DC and this is becoming a big issue for me now that I have started down that road. The mirka hand sander is so nice for DC.

It makes my ROS20 look horrible for DC (and it is) even hooked to a vac. I can’t wait to get the ROS6″ from the list.

That puts the bosch 1294VSK back in the running as it has DC

you

Ya again at $120 really cant go wrong, Even if it is completely useless “its bosch that wont happen” You cauld always sell it and recoup most of your money

Like these threads. Good input and ideas to pick up

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have melted the hook & loop on the Fein multi sander, asking it to do too much.

I dont think you would lose anything with a delta head on a bigger Festie sander. You could just have a smaller snap on head. The 90 has a couple of larger heads that snap on.

Something that helps with the melting hook and loop pads is switching one out for another. I keep 120 grit on one and 220 another pad and just swap the pad when I change grits. This lets the first cool down while I’m using the other.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.738 seconds