dcsimg

Compact head lamp?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Didn’t see a discussion on head lamps.

Anyone uses one when working in a confined space with poor or no lighting, such as attics or crawl spaces with limited head room.

You need both hands for soldering, working a pry bar, wiring, crimping, drilling, strapping, whatever.

Sweat is usually pouring down your face, it’s also impractical to drag an extension cord to hook up a worklight. You need to get in, do whatever, and get out.

It needs to have some degree of freedom, being able to swivel or tilt. It needs to be light, every ounce counts.

Nothing is worse than crawling 25 feet into a low attic with fiberglass insulation, your head lamp fails. You end up spending an extra 30 minutes doing a job, constantly removing the lamp to tap on to get it to light up again, then it goes off after 15 seconds again. No it’s not the batteries.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I use them early mornings at the shop when getting things ready to go before sunrise and for hunting a lot in the early mornings also. I have not used them a lot on jobs, but in some cases they would be helpful.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I seem to buy the cheapo ones and they don’t hold up. I need to invest in a good one. When they are needed they are nice to have on hand. They kinda go in with job site portable lighting. I keep a few types with me.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am a big fan of the rock climbing ,camping headlamps. They are fairly inexpensive and they are designed to be tossed around and last for hours. my favourite brand for the last few years is petzl

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I am a big fan of the rock climbing ,camping headlamps. They are fairly inexpensive and they are designed to be tossed around and last for hours. my favourite brand for the last few years is petzl

Petzls are classic rugged outdoor lamps. Can’t beat them. I’ve used them for years on wilderness tripping.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The one I am using now is an ION brand. It is pretty light and has several modes.

It’s kind of tricky at times and when power goes out it goes out there is no gradual dimming to give you warning LOL.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/headlamps-and-lanterns/ion-headlamp-BD620627_cfg.html

Petzl you say?
    I would like some more options. Will check out Petzl.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Eveready just came out with 2 new headlamps that should be in the big box stores soon. One has a bit more than 200 lumens and the other has more than 300 lumens.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I use a headlamp once in while. I have one from the Dollar store. It seems to do the job. I mainly use a headlamp when working in tight place,camping or hunting. I should look at getting a better one.

Greg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.398 seconds