dcsimg

Colt shaft not perpendicular to base, and 1/8" collet options

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

@boschtoolsservice I just bought a Colt palm router and found out during use that the shaft isn’t perpendicular to the base, it’s tilted toward the front (where depth scale is) by several degrees. I went to check out another in a different store, exactly the same problem, so it seems to be a tooling problem so either exchange it or sending it in for warranty would get me another one with same problem. Is this problem known and will be fixed or is this a problem with all Colt routers?

Also I’m looking for an option to attach 1/8″ shaft bits, Bosch doesn’t seem to make one, but would a RotoZip CT125 1/8″ collet and nut fit seeing both are made by Bosch?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’m going to have to check out my brothers colt I have in the shop. I know I don’t like the fixed base on these units. Just not a highly precise piece.

If bosch could upgrade the base it would make a lot of people happy. Many complaints about it. Is it something that you could shim? (I know, fixing a new tool is a goofy solution)

I’ve never seen an option for a 1/8 collet. Let us know if you find something that works.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

At first thought, the 1/8″ bit just doesn’t sound safe in a router.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

At first thought, the 1/8″ bit just doesn’t sound safe in a router.

I never thought of that, I guess it could be an issue. I would look at the RPMs of the rotary tools I guess and see. The colt has an adj speed on some models so that might help.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Never seen an 1/8″ shaft for a router bit except for a Dremel tool. I don’t think I would try their bits in a router.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If you’re set on trying an 1/8″ collet, I would either try one for a RotoZip as you mentioned or a Dremel. Both are made by Bosch and would probably fit before other brands would. Just remember the max speed recommendations on the smaller diameter bits. The router will likely spin well over that limit.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

If you’re set on trying an 1/8″ collect, I would either try one for a RotoZip as you mentioned or a Dremel. Both are made by Bosch and would probably fit before other brands would. Just remember the max speed recommendations on the smaller diameter bits. The router will likely spin well over that limit.

I thought the same thing about the RPM’s but I looked and both the Colt and the Dremel rotary tool are rated at a max no-load RPM of 35,000. On the low end the Colt is rated at 15,000 RPM and the Dremel at 5,000 so you would have to look at the RPM rating for each bit.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If you’re set on trying an 1/8″ collect, I would either try one for a RotoZip as you mentioned or a Dremel. Both are made by Bosch and would probably fit before other brands would. Just remember the max speed recommendations on the smaller diameter bits. The router will likely spin well over that limit.

I thought the same thing about the RPM’s but I looked and both the Colt and the Dremel rotary tool are rated at a max no-load RPM of 35,000. On the low end the Colt is rated at 15,000 RPM and the Dremel at 5,000 so you would have to look at the RPM rating for each bit.

Thanks for checking on that. My older Dremel only goes to around 20k rpm, but it’s 7-8 years old now. At 1/8″ shank diameter, I doubt any bits exist that would require an rpm outside of that range.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a strange malfunction to hear, I’ve never heard of anyone complaining about it before. As far as this 1/8″ shank bit idea, Boy that sounds kinda weenie to me. I’ve got some for my die grinder and feel they’re kinda weenie for even that, I don’t think I’d want to use them on a router. Just doesn’t seem very safe to me, Good Luck with the Colt fix and Welcome to the site btw, I see you’re a brand new member

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That’s a strange malfunction to hear, I’ve never heard of anyone complaining about it before. As far as this 1/8″ shank bit idea, Boy that sounds kinda weenie to me. I’ve got some for my die grinder and feel they’re kinda weenie for even that, I don’t think I’d want to use them on a router. Just doesn’t seem very safe to me, Good Luck with the Colt fix and Welcome to the site btw, I see you’re a brand new member

I hear that! I’m apprehensive with 1/4 bits. It high speeds, 1/2″ bits seem more stable to me.

Jon P.
    Instagram

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

@boschtoolsservice I just bought a Colt palm router and found out during use that the shaft isn’t perpendicular to the base, it’s tilted toward the front (where depth scale is) by several degrees. I went to check out another in a different store, exactly the same problem, so it seems to be a tooling problem so either exchange it or sending it in for warranty would get me another one with same problem. Is this problem known and will be fixed or is this a problem with all Colt routers?

Also I’m looking for an option to attach 1/8″ shaft bits, Bosch doesn’t seem to make one, but would a RotoZip CT125 1/8″ collet and nut fit seeing both are made by Bosch?

@jzmtl

1.) Perpendicularity is rarely an issue with Bosch Colt palm routers. We suggest sending the problem unit in for servicing. It seems that your unit is under warranty and will be repaired or replaced at no charge. Please go here for a list of service centers in your area: http://www.boschtools.com/Service/ProductServices/Pages/default.aspx You can also call Customer Service Hotline at 1-877-BOSCH99 (1-877-267-2499) Mon-Fri: 7:00-21:00 CST and Saturday: 8:00-16:00 CST.

2.) A RotoZip CT125 1/8″ collet and nut fit won’t fit on the Bosch PR10E or PR20EVS Colt Palm Routers. Unfortunately, we do not offer an collet that will allow 1/8” bits to be used on these routers as there is very little demand for it.

I hope this assists you.

Cheers,

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

I am amazed that this question was addressed so quickly by so many people. Yet another reason to love BTP.

@jzmtl
    – Do you feel like your question has been answered?

John S

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Yes it has been answered.

For the 1/8″ bit, I don’t intend to route with them actually, it’s more of using the colt as a high precision dremel since I found my dremel 4000 have some shaft run out and that makes sharpening brittle things like carbide cutter and ceramic knives etc not as precise.

As for the router itself, it’s only a degree or two and I only noticed when I was using a roman ogee bit and routed with both front and back of router facing work piece and where they meet isn’t the same. There are a few complaints on amazon review, and another one in another store is off by the same lead me to think maybe it’s my expectation is too high.

I’ll try the service center though, since the router is a month old and it shouldn’t cost me anything.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

thats very weird for a new tool to have that problem.. the only time ive seen that is with older tools that have been dropped causing the base to bend

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’m going to have to check out my brothers colt I have in the shop. I know I don’t like the fixed base on these units. Just not a highly precise piece.

If bosch could upgrade the base it would make a lot of people happy. Many complaints about it. Is it something that you could shim? (I know, fixing a new tool is a goofy solution)

Since the motor moves inside the base and contact points are pretty large, I don’t think I can shim it well enough. But the tilt is small enough that I can use it as is as long as I keep the same side of the tool facing work piece so there isn’t any variation.

Thanks, I’ve been reading this site for sometime since there are a lot of Bosch tool related info. Bought quite a few of their tools lately, just bought a 18v circular saw, and hopefully a table saw at some point to replace my crappy store brand one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.603 seconds