dcsimg

Collins tools

This topic contains 110 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 101 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I was using the miter clamps on the baseboard

Looks nice and tight! Tight is right!
    crpntrfeak I have only used the ones in this pic below, The puka (hole) left by it seems bigger that what you guys are talking about? Have you used these spring clamps also? We glued them and sanded them in. The tool works on 2 size of clamps and it is the one sold here locally at the WoodCraft store.

Is there a tools to open those ones Dirty like the Collins clamps or do you just open them by hand? It would be interesting to know which type apply more force or if they are about the same.

Those are the ulmia ones. I have them they are great

There is a 2 sided tool that opens them up. They are not opened by hand. In the pic you can see only one size clamp but there are 2. That cedar was soft and the hole was bigger than what you guys are talking about.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Ulmia also makes the tool less style one like the Collins but they are a little smaller. I have a couple they are nice

woodman_412

There is a 2 sided tool that opens them up. They are not opened by hand. In the pic you can see only one size clamp but there are 2. That cedar was soft and the hole was bigger than what you guys are talking about.

That’s cool that there are a couple of different sizes in that kit. I can see how different sizes would come in handy.

I was using my Collins clamps today for doing small mitered returns and they worked great for that. I didn’t even bother pinning them, just glue and clamped.

Dan

danpattison.com

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

That’s cool that there are a couple of different sizes in that kit. I can see how different sizes would come in handy.

I was using my Collins clamps today for doing small mitered returns and they worked great for that. I didn’t even bother pinning them, just glue and clamped.

The 6 different sizes are very handy. On some bigger miters I use a big and small one to get pressure throughout the joint.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

The 6 different sizes are very handy. On some bigger miters I use a big and small one to get pressure throughout the joint.

Looks like 2 sizes to me Austin!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

No it 6 different sizes, I have the same set. 4 smaller sizes, the opening and gauge of them vary and the 2 bigger sizes have different opening width as well.

Do you typically clamp from the back side of each piece? I suppose if painting you could fill any dimple. I have been skeptical of this style for fear of marring the surface.

Orange County, CA

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Do you typically clamp from the back side of each piece? I suppose if painting you could fill any dimple. I have been skeptical of this style for fear of marring the surface.

If it’s an inside miter then yes but outside miters you will see the mark it leaves which isn’t much different from a mail hole.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So do the Collins clamps only come in one size? Is there a tool that is used for them or they only opened by hand?

Dirty

woodman_412

So do the Collins clamps only come in one size? Is there a tool that is used for them or they only opened by hand?

Yeah just the one size in the Collins clamps. You can buy them with or without the opening tool but I got the tool since it’s a lot easier. I bought them locally at Lee Valley which is one of the reasons I went with the Collins.

Dan

danpattison.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The 6 different sizes are very handy.

Oh yes now with a better look I can see they are different.

Dirty

Viewing 11 posts - 101 through 111 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.396 seconds