dcsimg

Collins tools

This topic contains 110 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 111 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So I used my new miter clamps today for doing the door casings on the job I’m working on. Worth every penny! I preassembled my miters with the 10 min glue, the clamps and a couple brad nails. I laid each assembly down on the floor with the corners and the long ends sitting on 4 scraps of melamine to lift it up off the floor. Put waxed paper under the joints and glued them up. Let it sit for 10 min while I got the next door opening ready and then just lifted it up as one unit and nailed it on. The glue was plenty strong to be able to move everything as one unit. The miters came out perfectly. I’ve never had such tight perfect miters on casing before. Definitely like this method.

That miter came out extremely tight.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So I used my new miter clamps today for doing the door casings on the job I’m working on. Worth every penny!

Man that came out very nice. You can hardly see where the joint comes together.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

So I used my new miter clamps today for doing the door casings on the job I’m working on. Worth every penny! I preassembled my miters with the 10 min glue, the clamps and a couple brad nails. I laid each assembly down on the floor with the corners and the long ends sitting on 4 scraps of melamine to lift it up off the floor. Put waxed paper under the joints and glued them up. Let it sit for 10 min while I got the next door opening ready and then just lifted it up as one unit and nailed it on. The glue was plenty strong to be able to move everything as one unit. The miters came out perfectly. I’ve never had such tight perfect miters on casing before. Definitely like this method.

Nice looking joint Dan. Your method seems to be working well. Keep it up.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Nice, I like how tight they are.

Will

woodman_412

I was using the miter clamps on the baseboard yesterday too and they work equally as well on that. Nice tight miters and quick and easy to glue up. I think I’ll be picking up more of these clamps.

Dan

danpattison.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I was using the miter clamps on the baseboard yesterday too and they work equally as well on that.

That baseboard looks really nice. Very professional looking corners.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I was using the miter clamps on the baseboard yesterday too and they work equally as well on that. Nice tight miters and quick and easy to glue up. I think I’ll be picking up more of these clamps.

Yes they do. If it’s a miter joint anywhere I use them with almost no exception.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m sold. I’ll be buying some of these today!

@woodman_412, tell me about the holes they leave. Is it a problem with stain grade work?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

woodman_412

woodman_412, tell me about the holes they leave. Is it a problem with stain grade work?

The holes are pretty minor Jon even in MDF. They are typically smaller than a brad nail hole. I haven’t had a chance to try them on stain grade work yet but I think that on hardwood the holes would be pretty tiny.

Dan

danpattison.com

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Very nice tight joints Dan, is that a piece of wax paper underneath, Smart idea. Very professional

Haha, never mind answering that Dan, I went back a page, and saw that post on the door casing, you mentioned about laying on a piece of wax paper, very cool, thanks. Looks great by the way.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

@woodman_412, tell me about the holes they leave. Is it a problem with stain grade work?

The holes are about the size of a 23ga pin nail. Very small. You just need to be carful sometimes because if you don’t allow them to get a good “bite”, they will spring closed and scratch your work. This is not such a problem with 90 degree corners but are a slight concern on 45 corners

woodman_412

Very nice tight joints Dan, is that a piece of wax paper underneath, Smart idea. Very professional

Haha, never mind answering that Dan, I went back a page, and saw that post on the door casing, you mentioned about laying on a piece of wax paper, very cool, thanks. Looks great by the way.

Yeah the waxed paper works well Brian. I find that way I can leave the casing sitting where it is until the glue is dry and then everything stays exactly flush and just where I want it.

The holes are about the size of a 23ga pin nail. Very small. You just need to be carful sometimes because if you don’t allow them to get a good “bite”, they will spring closed and scratch your work. This is not such a problem with 90 degree corners but are a slight concern on 45 corners

I did notice that on the MDF trim that sometimes if you don’t get a proper bite it will tear a little elongated hole in the trim. But with proper placement I found it wasn’t an issue.

Dan

danpattison.com

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ
    woodman_412 wrote:
    I did notice that on the MDF trim that sometimes if you don’t get a proper bite it will tear a little elongated hole in the trim. But with proper placement I found it wasn’t an issue.

Yes, MDF usually isn’t a problem since it is soft. Harder woods is where it is more apt to happen or when you’re blow’n and go’n. I’ve had them a coupke years now and use mine all the time. They have made it to where getting that perfect miter is very easy.

I have a couple that I need to file a little sharper. They just don’t bite as well as the others.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It’s good to hear that the pin holes are small. I can certainly deal with the 23ga size marks.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I was using the miter clamps on the baseboard

Looks nice and tight! Tight is right!
    @crpntrfeak I have only used the ones in this pic below, The puka (hole) left by it seems bigger that what you guys are talking about? Have you used these spring clamps also? We glued them and sanded them in. The tool works on 2 size of clamps and it is the one sold here locally at the WoodCraft store.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

woodman_412

crpntrfeak I have only used the ones in this pic below, The puka (hole) left by it seems bigger that what you guys are talking about? Have you used these spring clamps also? We glued them and sanded them in. The tool works on 2 size of clamps and it is the one sold here locally at the WoodCraft store.

Is there a tools to open those ones Dirty like the Collins clamps or do you just open them by hand? It would be interesting to know which type apply more force or if they are about the same.

Dan

danpattison.com

I think with the softer woods and mdf trim you end up with closer to an 18g sized hole. Harder material is closer to 23g in my opinion.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

woodman_412

I think with the softer woods and mdf trim you end up with closer to an 18g sized hole. Harder material is closer to 23g in my opinion.

I think you’re right Andrew. In my experience so far with the MDF trim if you get a clean bite into it the holes are just a little smaller than my 18 ga brad holes but pretty similar. Definitely easy to make disappear in paint grade trim work.

Dan

danpattison.com

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@crpntrfeak I have only used the ones in this pic below, The puka (hole) left by it seems bigger that what you guys are talking about? Have you used these spring clamps also? We glued them and sanded them in. The tool works on 2 size of clamps and it is the one sold here locally at the WoodCraft store.

Those are the ulmia ones. I have them they are great

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.931 seconds