dcsimg

Collins tools

This topic contains 110 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Fast set glue is another thing I have been meaning to try. 2p-10 comes to mind from Fast Cap. https://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-2P10SOLOKIT-FastCap-2P-10-SoloKIT/dp/B0006IUWCC

not a fan of 2p10 I have seen it fail many times where regular wood glue would have not.

woodman_412

I bought a set of the Collins miter clamps a couple weeks ago and finally had a chance to try them out today. I cut a couple test joints with some MDF casing and put a biscuit in one and just glue in the other. I used the LePage 10 min wood glue which I find works really well. I actually found that the joint without the biscuit worked better and was easier to flush up perfectly where the biscuited one kept wanting to go slightly out of flush at towards the point of the miter. The biscuited joint is the one with two clamps on it. The clamps work great, I’m really looking forward to using these on site this week doing baseboard and casing. The joint with just the glue and one clamp dried in 10 min and was super solid. I couldn’t pull it apart. I think these will really help step up my trim game a notch.

Dan

danpattison.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think these will really help step up my trim game a notch.

I think the biscuit is over kill. I need a tool like this so I can step up my trim game as well.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@woodman_412
    those miter clamps are awesome. I have some of another brand and find myself using them all the time.

I think the biscuit is over kill. I need a tool like this so I can step up my trim game as well.

That biscuit makes for a very good joint it more than doubles the surface area of the glue and it makes sur that the miter is lined up and stays lined up. That joint wont come apart. The extra step of doing that is totally worth it.

woodman_412

woodman_412
    those miter clamps are awesome. I have some of another brand and find myself using them all the time.

That biscuit makes for a very good joint it more than doubles the surface area of the glue and it makes sur that the miter is lined up and stays lined up. That joint wont come apart. The extra step of doing that is totally worth it.

Good to know Austin. Now that I’ve tried them out I can see myself using them quite a bit. I don’t know if the back surface of the casing isn’t consistent with the front face on the two pieces or if I had the biscuit joiner not quite sitting flat but the biscuit actually ended up making my joint out of flush a little. The joint with no biscuit I got bang on. Definitely would make for a stronger joint though like you said.

Dan

danpattison.com

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

woodman_412

Good to know Austin. Now that I’ve tried them out I can see myself using them quite a bit. I don’t know if the back surface of the casing isn’t consistent with the front face on the two pieces or if I had the biscuit joiner not quite sitting flat but the biscuit actually ended up making my joint out of flush a little. The joint with no biscuit I got bang on. Definitely would make for a stronger joint though like you said.

Yeah thats the one problem I have had with both biscuit and donmino jointer for casing. If you dont have that thing spot on flush or the molding has some variation in it it won’t line up.

woodman_412

I put a lick of paint on the test joint that I did and it looks perfect. Nice crisp gapless miter and a strong joint. I’m going to try preassembling all my miters this week when I’m doing the trim work on the job I’m doing and see how it works for me. I think the 10 min glue is the key since it dries quick enough to make it practical. Might be picking up more miter clamps at some point.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive done the biscuit in a mitre a few times.. its almost a mandatory thing for pre assmebled mitres for longer pieces.. the clamp alone wit the glue joint isnt strong enough to move the assembly around to a door or large window for assembly. the biggest thing is making sure your using a quality casing from a trim supplier as opposed to big box trim because their product is consistant thickness and profile as opposed to the stuff sold in big box stores which can be all over the place

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

biggest thing is making sure your using a quality casing from a trim supplier as opposed to big box trim because their product is consistant thickness and profile as opposed to the stuff sold in big box stores which can be all over the place

I always get my trim from Moulding Warehouse. They seem to have a good product. Do you guys get your MDF trim from there Jeff?

Dan

danpattison.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

or the molding has some variation in it it won’t line up.

There is only One place around here that sells decent moldings…and probably a half dozen that it’s hit or miss. The hard part is that the individual pieces seem okay at first glance, but when you try to miter them together, the profiles don’t line up or one piece is thicker than the other….etc. Box store trim is by far the worst.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I put a lick of paint on the test joint that I did and it looks perfect.

For the paint grade we don’t have no time for all that dilly dalling around. We shoot it on and caulk it.

Dirty

Grats on the clamps @woodman_412! I need to order another set. They are great when assembling crow. Corners too!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The joint with just the glue and one clamp dried in 10 min and was super solid. I couldn’t pull it apart.

Nice and a simple concept as well. Great for nice tight fitting corners.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The joint with just the glue and one clamp dried in 10 min and was super solid. I couldn’t pull it apart.

I’ve always thought that tight is right and I like em tight. They do look better when they are tight and then don’t need filled with anything.

Dirty

woodman_412

I’ve always thought that tight is right and I like em tight. They do look better when they are tight and then don’t need filled with anything.

I agree Dirty. The house that we’re living in now has all MDF trim and you can tell that the joints are pretty gappy and are just filled with DAP. They just don’t have the same crisp clean look as a properly done joint. I think these clamps are going to be just the ticket.

Dan

danpattison.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I agree Dirty. The house that we’re living in now has all MDF trim and you can tell that the joints are pretty gappy and are just filled with DAP. They just don’t have the same crisp clean look as a properly done joint. I think these clamps are going to be just the ticket.

There are all different levels of building and for most homes it’s just bang to bang and run to the next one. I can glue and shoot a corner together and get a good fit.

Dirty

The clamps are really crucial for the glue to work to it’s fullest strength. All glue says it needs clamp pressure for maximum strength.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The clamps are really crucial for the glue to work to it’s fullest strength. All glue says it needs clamp pressure for maximum strength.

Yes I know that’s why I like to use polyurethane caulk on the door casing corners
    Shhhhhhh

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Plus if you can get it to dry in 10 min with the glue Dan uses so much the better.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

woodman_412

So I used my new miter clamps today for doing the door casings on the job I’m working on. Worth every penny! I preassembled my miters with the 10 min glue, the clamps and a couple brad nails. I laid each assembly down on the floor with the corners and the long ends sitting on 4 scraps of melamine to lift it up off the floor. Put waxed paper under the joints and glued them up. Let it sit for 10 min while I got the next door opening ready and then just lifted it up as one unit and nailed it on. The glue was plenty strong to be able to move everything as one unit. The miters came out perfectly. I’ve never had such tight perfect miters on casing before. Definitely like this method.

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.801 seconds