dcsimg

Collins tools

This topic contains 110 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Those clam clamps are pretty sweet. They are one of the few clamps that tighten up the whole miter, not just the outside of the joint.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

This Collins tool is for screwing and spring loading for stain grade trim. I agree that Feaks way of ting them together is fine for the white paint trim.

Not sure why you couldn’t do it that way with stain grade. The first picture you see on Jim Chesnut’s site is a piece of stained trim held together with the Clam Clamp

What was that big clamp that you used at the end? That looked interesting.

Clam Clamp. Like others mentioned, it really clamps the miter the whole way through. Little expensive but well worth it once you use them.

I really want to order 12 of the cam clamps. That woukd let you pre-assemble 3 windows at once. Clamp for 30 minutes and do another 3.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I really want to order 12 of the cam clamps. That woukd let you pre-assemble 3 windows at once. Clamp for 30 minutes and do another 3.

I agree. When guys show pictures of 6 sides of casing leaned against the wall with the Clam Clamps holding them together, I am quite jealous. Clamping time and being able to go do something else while the miters sit drying is my biggest challenge being that I only have one set of Clam Clamps. A bit of a juggling act but I finally developed a system that works for me.

Back the the Collins tool, I would want that thing just for the spring clamp it comes with. Not sure that I would use the screw guide.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@crpntrfeak great video. I use the nails in the corner also, but have never used the clamps, mind you I am not producing like you guys do, it’s the odd jobs here and there,

Yes I actually put a 18 gauge 2 inch into my fingers once, like you, I keep them farther away now 🙂

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Not sure why you couldn’t do it that way with stain grade. The first picture you see on Jim Chesnut’s site is a piece of stained trim held together with the Clam Clamp

So ur saying the http://www.miterclamp.com/ is a better way to go because no hole to plug?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

So ur saying the http://www.miterclamp.com/ is a better way to go because no hole to plug?

That’s up to you homie. LOL The Clam Clamp does leave holes the size of a 15GA nail along the sides and top. They have 4 pins per side but I remove 2 per side so they don’t leave as many holes. I know Leo from CT doesn’t like to use them for this reason.

I know I like things simple. The more tools I have on my prep table the harder it is to work. That is why I don’t biscuit my miters. While putting a biscuit in there would be a superior joint, that means I have to have the biscuit joiner there with a hose and biscuits taking up space.

After posting that video on other forums, many guys said they put a biscuit in there. I tried it a couple times but it didn’t have the flow that I needed to keep things moving along.

So my point is, I would have to have my drill and Impact there with the Collins tool that you posted. Honestly I would want to try it out first before I put it into my routine. Don’t get me wrong….I want it!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s up to you homie. LOL The Clam Clamp does leave holes the size of a 15GA nail along the sides and top. They have 4 pins per side but I remove 2 per side so they don’t leave as many holes. I know Leo from CT doesn’t like to use them for this reason.

I know I like things simple. The more tools I have on my prep table the harder it is to work. That is why I don’t biscuit my miters. While putting a biscuit in there would be a superior joint, that means I have to have the biscuit joiner there with a hose and biscuits taking up space.

After posting that video on other forums, many guys said they put a biscuit in there. I tried it a couple times but it didn’t have the flow that I needed to keep things moving along.

So my point is, I would have to have my drill and Impact there with the Collins tool that you posted. Honestly I would want to try it out first before I put it into my routine. Don’t get me wrong….I want it!

Thanks,, I fully get getting the most out of the least clutter. Those clam clamps seem to be a winner. How many do you have? I see getting 8 at 60$ pop is the easiest way to part with 480 clams.

Dirty

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I agree. When guys show pictures of 6 sides of casing leaned against the wall with the Clam Clamps holding them together, I am quite jealous. Clamping time and being able to go do something else while the miters sit drying is my biggest challenge being that I only have one set of Clam Clamps. A bit of a juggling act but I finally developed a system that works for me.

Back the the Collins tool, I would want that thing just for the spring clamp it comes with. Not sure that I would use the screw guide.

That’s the one of the biggest reason that I use the clamp nail system there is no down time and waiting for casings to dry. The casing has immediate strength.

The holes in the sides is a draw back to me as well but if you can eliminate 2 of the 4 pins that isn’t terrible.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

woodman_412

I’ve been using this 10 min wood glue on trim work for awhile now and really like it. It speeds up the process since you don’t have to wait as long for the glue to be dry. Might work well with a clamping system since you could really keep things moving along.

http://www.lepage.ca/lepage/lepage-products/pva-glue-wood-glue/express-quick-dry-wood-glue.html

Dan

danpattison.com

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@woodman_412 interesting facts on the glue Dan, not that I do a lot of trim, but it’s still a good choice over the typical Lepage glue, might have to give that a try.

woodman_412

woodman_412 interesting facts on the glue Dan, not that I do a lot of trim, but it’s still a good choice over the typical Lepage glue, might have to give that a try.

I would highly recommend it Brian. I always have both regular wood glue and the 10 min with me now. You wouldn’t want to use the 10 min for everything since some stuff requires more open time but I find a lot of things benefit from the quick dry time of the 10 min.

Dan

danpattison.com

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’ve been using this 10 min wood glue on trim work for awhile now and really like it. It speeds up the process since you don’t have to wait as long for the glue to be dry. Might work well with a clamping system since you could really keep things moving along.

http://www.lepage.ca/lepage/lepage-products/pva-glue-wood-glue/express-quick-dry-wood-glue.html

How is the working time with this glue Dan? I’m always afraid of fast setting glues.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The holes in the sides is a draw back to me as well but if you can eliminate 2 of the 4 pins that isn’t terrible.

If it isn’t prefinished can’t you glue and sand out?

Dirty

woodman_412

How is the working time with this glue Dan? I’m always afraid of fast setting glues.

Working time is only a couple of min or so Ron since it dries in 10 min. It’s definitely not the glue to use when you have a multi part assembly where you need some time to get everything together. For single joint assemblies it’s perfect.

Dan

danpattison.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dan Thank you for the link to the 10 min wood glue. Glad they finally came out with something like this.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Has anybody found a US source for this glue? Amazon.ca is out if stock

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Fast set glue is another thing I have been meaning to try. 2p-10 comes to mind from Fast Cap. https://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-2P10SOLOKIT-FastCap-2P-10-SoloKIT/dp/B0006IUWCC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Has anybody found a US source for this glue? Amazon.ca is out if stock

I think I’ve seen it at my local wood craft store.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.640 seconds