dcsimg

Collins tools

This topic contains 110 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Author

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’d never heard of them til @r-ice bought something a week or so ago at Atlas in Toronto and announced such here on the forum. Interesting little manufacturer of unique tools. Do you have much of their stuff Dirty? Anything you endorse?

i really like their mitre clamps and they work well, i believe in the system so i bought it. I first saw them on instagram and someone else was using them, i was impressed. I am debating on the collins foot right now for the coping to see if it will work in my set up.

Do you have any pics of the miter clamps in action? I’ve wondered how well those work. Which jigsaw do you have? I love the coping foot that I have.

no i haven’t, sigh i haven’t had the time to play with the project that needs it. Still working on one main project and it is just taking a longer than normal.

My Domino does nice miter connections. FWIW. Easy peazy too!

lol not everyone has 2 domino systems

I use their miter clamps. They work very well just don’t catch your finger. They are unforgiving, as for the miter tight i wouldn’t like drilling a hole and having to fill it.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I use their miter clamps. They work very well just don’t catch your finger. They are unforgiving, as for the miter tight i wouldn’t like drilling a hole and having to fill it.

That’s why it’s designed to go from the top where you don’t see the hole normally.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

A Domino for trim? That’s insane.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Not really. That is a miter that will probably never come apart. Many guys use biscuits because it is a little faster for production.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’m with you Jon. Sounds crazy to me.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Not really. That is a miter that will probably never come apart. Many guys use biscuits because it is a little faster for production.

Glue and nails for me.

Its kind of overkill (if it’s even possible). The minimum cut of a Domino is something like 4 mm…which wouldn’t leave much wood on either side of a standard piece of casing.

Jon P.
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s the new Micro domino,,,

Ron it’s the Micro domino!!
    This think sets the joint up so it is spring loaded to be tight.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Agreed! If you set up a small production process on site you could pre-assemble windows and door casing and have a super tight miter. A good builder friend of mine orders in his casing pre-assembled. He builds high dollar homes. The casings have a guarantee that they won’t open up. This lets his trim guys put a lower level guy on installing casing and the higher skill level guys concentrate on built ins and tougher casework.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The casings have a guarantee that they won’t open up. This lets his trim guys put a lower level guy on installing casing and the higher skill level guys concentrate on built ins and tougher casework.

Sounds like a good way to handle it and maximize effort all the way around.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Agreed! If you set up a small production process on site you could pre-assemble windows and door casing and have a super tight miter.

For that you’d need some kind of production table.. Do you ever set up any kind of production table?

Dirty

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Glue and nails for me.

Its kind of overkill (if it’s even possible). The minimum cut of a Domino is something like 4 mm…which wouldn’t leave much wood on either side of a standard piece of casing.

The last job we did we didnt use clamp nails but dominoed every casing miter and at the end of the job the painter had to go back and caulk some that had opened up. I wouldnt use that method again.

woodman_412

Agreed! If you set up a small production process on site you could pre-assemble windows and door casing and have a super tight miter. A good builder friend of mine orders in his casing pre-assembled. He builds high dollar homes. The casings have a guarantee that they won’t open up. This lets his trim guys put a lower level guy on installing casing and the higher skill level guys concentrate on built ins and tougher casework.

That sounds like an interesting way to go. I didn’t know that you could buy preassembled casings. It makes sense though if you have a lot of standard openings to case out that don’t need anything custom.

The last job we did we didnt use clamp nails but dominoed every casing miter and at the end of the job the painter had to go back and caulk some that had opened up. I wouldnt use that method again.

Where do you buy the clamp nails Austin?

Dan

danpattison.com

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Company in arizona. Had to order them on the phone. Clamp Nail CO is the name @woodman_412

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

The nails are what did it IMO. Clamp them together with a good bead of glue. Let them sit for at least 30 minutes and you should be good to go.

Here is another look at how I do it. This was 3 1/4″ so I used the Clam Clamps. With smaller trim I only use the Collins clamps. These miters have no biscuits or domino and they don’t move.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Julian…you are going to get a nail in the thumb dude!

Jon P.
    Instagram

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Julian…you are going to get a nail in the thumb dude!

Lmao. .. everyone has said that. The pins where 1″ pins and my thumb was at least 1 1/2″ away. It doesn’t look that way in the video but it is. I promise!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This Collins tool is for screwing and spring loading for stain grade trim. I agree that Feaks way of ting them together is fine for the white paint trim.

Dirty

woodman_412

The nails are what did it IMO. Clamp them together with a good bead of glue. Let them sit for at least 30 minutes and you should be good to go.

Here is another look at how I do it. This was 3 1/4″ so I used the Clam Clamps. With smaller trim I only use the Collins clamps. These miters have no biscuits or domino and they don’t move.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/aeaCjE2Y0ZQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”578″ width=”770″></iframe></figure>

What was that big clamp that you used at the end? That looked interesting.

Dan

danpattison.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/aeaCjE2Y0ZQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”578″ width=”770″></iframe></figure>

What was that big clamp that you used at the end? That looked interesting.

i think they are these ones
    http://www.miterclamp.com/

how many would you need, they seem to sell them in pairs.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.540 seconds