dcsimg

Cold and battery charging

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I left a 12v battery in the snow most of the Winter on a full charge. When some of the snow had melted I grabbed it stuck it into a FL12. Worked fine. I did not try any charging when the battery was cold. It was left in my house a bit before I did the charge tests to make sure the battery was still ok.

I think the LI batteries work OK when cold just that they need to be in a certain temp range before the charger will charge them not too hot or too cold. Most of my problems occur in the summer with batteries too hot to charge. Leaving them to cool off a bit and then they start charging.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have something going on and I am no longer thinking it is just the cold. I have problems with batteries charging in the cold before — all brands — But the hot box or the trailer is normally warm enough.

So yesterday I left the batteries and chargers in the heated break room 40+ this morning still flashing red. I reset them a couple of times and got a couple to charge. Later when switching them i moved the charger to the heated building T-shirt and sweating so maybe 70. I would get one of two outcomes, they would flash red or with messing with them through the day they would flash green for about a min, I would come back and it would be solid green. But the batteries did not charge.

Again this issue with 5 batteries and 3 chargers “one of the chargers doesnt have a scratch on it”

Well im going to a different job tomorrow so brought them all home, brough them in and plugged them in. Both chargers and all 5 batteries started charging right away. All fully charged now and gtg.

Is there any possibility that the chargers are not liking the temp power setup on site? The outlets are full and many 3-ways on them but ive had the same problem with 3 way or direct power. I have been on this site for a while and this is a new issue so “shrug”

I was going to say that could be it about the power source supply at the site,
    Any luck / news about your battery issues.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yah i’ve never had any problems with the cold and my batteries, however if it is bosch batteries you should talk to @utopia78 since he is the one that left a fl12 with battery out all winter deep in the snow and it ended up working when he went out in the spring to get it.

I left a 12v battery in the snow most of the Winter on a full charge. When some of the snow had melted I grabbed it stuck it into a FL12. Worked fine. I did not try any charging when the battery was cold. It was left in my house a bit before I did the charge tests to make sure the battery was still ok.

I remember that crash test video lol, I was surprised ya found it after all that time.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Yah i’ve never had any problems with the cold and my batteries, however if it is bosch batteries you should talk to @utopia78 since he is the one that left a fl12 with battery out all winter deep in the snow and it ended up working when he went out in the spring to get it.

I remember that crash test video lol, I was surprised ya found it after all that time.

Yeah, that was funny. Back when I was an amateur to this site and researching tools in general. I’ll have to post it up. I threw the L-Boxx off a local park hill into a ravine not thinking it would open. A whole slew of tools came out and we’re lost in the snow.

A Working Pro since 2004

Yeah, that was funny. Back when I was an amateur to this site and researching tools in general. I’ll have to post it up. I threw the L-Boxx off a local park hill into a ravine not thinking it would open. A whole slew of tools came out and we’re lost in the snow.

Oh yeah I remember that for sure,
    You made some pretty cool videos, I remember you jumping up and down on the i box also lol.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Haha, OK you guys!! Lol here they are. I’m a little embarrassed 😉

A Working Pro since 2004

Anonymous
    Inactive

And there they are LOL, I see that was almost two years ago.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

This is why I brought our old fridge into my shop – I have a cinderblock, non-insulated shop and it gets really cold in there, so I’m using the fridge to store paints, stains and glue/ caulk in there. The motor is unplugged but I stuck a small work light in there with an LED bulb that puts off the tiniest amount of heat. With the small amount of space and all that insulation, it stays above freezing in there so I stuck all my batteries in too. I’ll probably charge them in there as well. It’s nice because I have an outlet just to the right of the fridge that I can connect the light and a charger to.

Charlie

Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Ha, that’s pretty neat, using a fridge to keep things warm.

If anybody going to leave a battery in the cold, make sure it’s fully charged first.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

No problems charging lately on the job, I have been bringing my kit home and inside at night though

No problems charging lately on the job, I have been bringing my kit home and inside at night though

That’s good, so it’s all back to working properly, guess it was as some guys said, just got so cold deep inside the battery packs, are all the battery packs working.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I dont leave my batteries in freezing cold or the tools. Since its very cold here 20f real feel is 4f and i dont have no batteries ot charger in the car or tool.but didnt have problem with cold charging

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

This is why I brought our old fridge into my shop – I have a cinderblock, non-insulated shop and it gets really cold in there, so I’m using the fridge to store paints, stains and glue/ caulk in there. The motor is unplugged but I stuck a small work light in there with an LED bulb that puts off the tiniest amount of heat. With the small amount of space and all that insulation, it stays above freezing in there so I stuck all my batteries in too. I’ll probably charge them in there as well. It’s nice because I have an outlet just to the right of the fridge that I can connect the light and a charger to.

The old fridge is avoid idea. The chargers put out a little bit of heat too. Just put one of those surge protector 6 ways in there and have a couple going and a light. It should be nice and toasty.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

here is a good article on cold battery temps and li-ion batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

Nice to hear from you Brad. Thank you for posting the cold battery charging tips.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good article on the battery condition in cold and hot, thanks.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

lol you didn’t go back in the spring to see where the tools may have landed? might of still been there heh.

Doobie

Thanks for posting that Brad. I hadn’t gotten around to searching for a good source on that issue which I’ve been concerned about for a while now with the cold finally hitting us. Seems that one is a very good source on the subject.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@crotalusco so have they started to work like normal yet? its been a few days to warm it up.

@crotalusco so have they started to work like normal yet? its been a few days to warm it up.

Scroll up a few posts

crotalusco wrote:

@Dabbs @ChadM
    Sorry don’t know what I did wrong must be my big Muppet fingers, please remove the prior post and points, thanks, darn fingers lol.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.633 seconds