dcsimg

Cold and battery charging

This topic contains 62 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Masterbosch 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Lets talk about these batteries. I am recently having some issues. (5 batteries not just 1) We got a deep cold snap and my kit was out in the lock box over night. Week or so ago. I am having trouble with the charger flashing red on all of the batteries. At first I though maybe just too cold (still above 20F) But warming them didnt seem to help right away. I was able to get them to charge and yet again same issuer today. I even tried a second charger from home. They run fine when cold but I am now keeping them in an above freezing room over night and had the issue yet again.

I find it hard to believe all 5 batteries are going at one time. Any thoughts?

anyway i know i have been mia for a bit, crazy busy and working an hour and half away doesnt help with internet time.

The temperature sensor might be deep inside the pack and the exterior of the pack is warm but the core of the pack is still pretty cold so the charger refused to charge them.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Didn’t notice anything with my charger – dewalt – and it sits in its case in the truck all night long. -5 to -10 celsius.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

cold or hot, batteries do not charge well. keeping them warmed up is the only way to ensure charging.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Are we talking about Bosch batteries Daniel?

I haven’t noticed a refusal to charge from my Makita batteries. Overly hot and the can take a while to cool down before charging, but not the other way around.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

We rarely charge batteries on site. I charge them at night in the shop. Although it isn’t heated, it is insulated and doesn’t get real cold. For us, on site often means battling not just the cold, but also rain, snow, and also the potential for them to get knocked around.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cold or hot, batteries do not charge well. keeping them warmed up is the only way to ensure charging.

Yep the charger will not charge them if they are not the right temp. Sounds like with all 5 being the same you have a temp problem. Sensor is probably in the core so the core needs to be warm not just the case.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I have noticed this with the lithium battery packs, I never experienced that with my older Bosch ni-cad battery packs. Just this last summer, I had one Bosch battery in the heat partial sun. , didn’t like it, would not charge, I thought it was toast, left it in the garage for a few hours, then it started to charge perfectly.

I know it’s the same as winter with the cold, can you bring along a insulated lunch bag and keep the extra batteries and charger inside that, bit of a pain, but it might work.
    Looking forward to hearing what and how this pans out.

Is there a standard temperature which battery’s lose there deep cycle charge from being to cold .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve been wondering about this cold issue lately too watching our temps drop. Yesterday, I went and removed my drills and batteries from inside my non-insulated shed as a precaution.

I did look at the owners manual. It does say that fast charging will only occur when the temps are 32F and above. I can’t find any comments that say the batteries need to be kept above a certain temp while not being used though.

I’ve been wondering about this cold issue lately too watching our temps drop. Yesterday, I went and removed my drills and batteries from inside my non-insulated shed as a precaution.

I did look at the owners manual. It does say that fast charging will only occur when the temps are 32F and above. I can’t find any comments that say the batteries need to be kept above a certain temp while not being used though.

I just think they pick the 32 cause it’s the freezing standard mark . Not sure how well they test below that .

Always willing to learn .

Anonymous

Yep too cold, Especially when all 5 are acting like that…Bring em in the house overnight to be sure they get warmed up then charge them. The book says they won’t charge if less then 32*, I guess they mean it

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Definitely keep batteries inside for winter, I can’t remember what temperature exactly but they can freeze especially if not fully charged, when they do they are kaput.

Anonymous

Definitely keep batteries inside for winter, I can’t remember what temperature exactly but they can freeze especially if not fully charged, when they do they are kaput.

Uh oh, I keep two 18v 4.0’s in my truck with the big 500ft.lb torque impact gun for emergency flat tires etc. They were fully charged a couple months ago, Am I hurting them??

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Uh oh, I keep two 18v 4.0’s in my truck with the big 500ft.lb torque impact gun for emergency flat tires etc. They were fully charged a couple months ago, Am I hurting them??

You should be okay, don’t think it gets cold enough where you are. The battery should be able to take temperature above 14F.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yah i’ve never had any problems with the cold and my batteries, however if it is bosch batteries you should talk to @utopia78 since he is the one that left a fl12 with battery out all winter deep in the snow and it ended up working when he went out in the spring to get it.

Anonymous

You should be okay, don’t think it gets cold enough where you are. The battery should be able to take temperature above 14F.

Ha, I wish it was warm enough here but ‘it snot’, I’ve had -5*F so far. Brrrr… But I’m heading 700ish miles South to the warm weather in about 4 weeks

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I have something going on and I am no longer thinking it is just the cold. I have problems with batteries charging in the cold before — all brands — But the hot box or the trailer is normally warm enough.

So yesterday I left the batteries and chargers in the heated break room 40+ this morning still flashing red. I reset them a couple of times and got a couple to charge. Later when switching them i moved the charger to the heated building T-shirt and sweating so maybe 70. I would get one of two outcomes, they would flash red or with messing with them through the day they would flash green for about a min, I would come back and it would be solid green. But the batteries did not charge.

Again this issue with 5 batteries and 3 chargers “one of the chargers doesnt have a scratch on it”

Well im going to a different job tomorrow so brought them all home, brough them in and plugged them in. Both chargers and all 5 batteries started charging right away. All fully charged now and gtg.

Is there any possibility that the chargers are not liking the temp power setup on site? The outlets are full and many 3-ways on them but ive had the same problem with 3 way or direct power. I have been on this site for a while and this is a new issue so “shrug”

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Yah i’ve never had any problems with the cold and my batteries, however if it is bosch batteries you should talk to @utopia78 since he is the one that left a fl12 with battery out all winter deep in the snow and it ended up working when he went out in the spring to get it.

I left a 12v battery in the snow most of the Winter on a full charge. When some of the snow had melted I grabbed it stuck it into a FL12. Worked fine. I did not try any charging when the battery was cold. It was left in my house a bit before I did the charge tests to make sure the battery was still ok.

A Working Pro since 2004

Doobie
    Pro

I left a 12v battery in the snow most of the Winter on a full charge. When some of the snow had melted I grabbed it stuck it into a FL12. Worked fine. I did not try any charging when the battery was cold. It was left in my house a bit before I did the charge tests to make sure the battery was still ok.

I assume it was an accident leaving it out in the snow Chris? Or was that by design like you did with leaving your PB360 in the rain?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.561 seconds