dcsimg

CO2 And Nail Guns

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

And the discussion here (i.e. the comments) is worth reading on CO2 tanks for nailers….

http://toolmonger.com/2007/03/09/hot-or-not-portable-compressed-co2-regulatortank-for-nailers

Potential DIY option: http://www.instructables.com/id/EY3GR8TS7EEYVZD42V/

and painter HPA system you could potentially convert to use with guns http://www.paintball-online.com/Ninja-Paintball-50-ci-4500-psi-Carbon-Fiber-HPA-Tank-System-TKNJ4550-0X.aspx#back

John S

kzcarp
    Pro

This is Carpentry had a pretty comprehensive look at one type of system.
    http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2014/08/08/power-tank-c02-kits/

These power tank setups way cool.

kevin

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Now that I have the cordless Senco 16 ga I think I’ll just save up over time for a cordless 23ga and an 18ga.
    No more need for me to go and get an air tank hooked up…maybe next spring I’ll start using my tank again for its intended purpose.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

The power tanks are a rip off. I’ve got less in my setup and I have a 20# and 2.5#. I think I have $200-$250 in my setup. I counted nails one time from my hitachi framing gun and the 2.5lb cylinder (40OZ) would shoot 130 nails before needing filled, as I mentioned before on the 15# (now traded in for a 20#) I framed a 600 sq ft basement.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

The power tanks are a rip off. I’ve got less in my setup and I have a 20# and 2.5#. I think I have $200-$250 in my setup.

I was coming to that conclusion as well (overpriced), but what did you end up going with in terms of the various parts you put together for your system?

John S

The power tanks are a rip off. I’ve got less in my setup and I have a 20# and 2.5#. I think I have $200-$250 in my setup.

I was coming to that conclusion as well (overpriced), but what did you end up going with in terms of the various parts you put together for your system?

Here is the fixed regulator:
    http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/off-road-air-systems/hyperflo-150psi-non-adjustable-co2-regulator/

Adjustable regulator from HD:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-4-in-NPT-Regulator-with-Gauge-41155HOM/205331831

Couple standard quick disconnects (1 male, 1 female) on the adjustable regulator and hook it right to your gun, run a hose from fixed regulator (directly on tank) to adjustable regulator and you’re done.
    Super easy.

www.mysteeldeck.com

Here is the fixed regulator:

http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/off-road-air-systems/hyperflo-150psi-non-adjustable-co2-regulator/

Adjustable regulator from HD:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-4-in-NPT-Regulator-with-Gauge-41155HOM/205331831

thanks a ton for these links. I was not sure whether “skimping” on the regulator mattered (for safety reasons mainly). Are you pretty careful about not letting the CO2 tanks get too cold/hot or do you not sweat that too much?

John S

thanks a ton for these links. I was not sure whether “skimping” on the regulator mattered (for safety reasons mainly). Are you pretty careful about not letting the CO2 tanks get too cold/hot or do you not sweat that too much?

I’m careful that they don’t get knocked over when full with the regulator attached. No real worry if the regulator isn’t connected because the handle guards the valve but still something to avoid. Otherwise I don’t think much of it, the CO2 tank will have a blow off valve if it does over pressurize (like in a hot car in summer) but it’s safe (I’ve heard it’s quite loud but I’ve never heard it).

www.mysteeldeck.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got a new Hitachi nailer a few months back, and read the manual, and they say not to use bottled gases because of a risk of explosion, i.e., flammable gases. It seems that CO2 is not a problem.

I noticed that some folks were talking about using O2 (Oxygen) to power a nailer. NEVER DO THAT. O2 will spontaneously combust in the presence of oil, and it is an accelerant as well. So if you’ve ever seen that little spark that comes out when you fire a nail, you could blow yourself up.

Delta

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I noticed that some folks were talking about using O2 (Oxygen) to power a nailer. NEVER DO THAT. O2 will spontaneously combust in the presence of oil, and it is an accelerant as well. So if you’ve ever seen that little spark that comes out when you fire a nail, you could blow yourself up.

Good tip haha!! No laughing matter I know, and I’d use CO2 anyway, but that’s good to know.

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

seen a
    gas Paslode Framing Nailer at goodwill the other day for $30 just didn’t know if they were worth anything

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

[meant to quote @Seven-Delta-FortyOne)
    I may have commented on that… I was referring to HPA, the kind used for paintball tanks… I think it’s nitrogen, actually.
    Regardless… Do you think the risk could be mitigated by using grease instead of oil to lubricate the nailer?

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

[meant to quote @seven-delta-fortyone)
    I may have commented on that… I was referring to HPA, the kind used for paintball tanks… I think it’s nitrogen, actually.
    Regardless… Do you think the risk could be mitigated by using grease instead of oil to lubricate the nailer?

No ! Mineral and synthetic oil/grease are not safe to use.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Ok… I’m just going off of past knowledge with using paintball markers. A big difference, I know, from pneumatic nailers… But also very similar.
    The air goes on through a low pressure regulator (built with steel and anodized aluminium), then into the chamber(also aluminum), then the solenoid trips either the sear or the spool valve, and drives the striker into the ball. (There’s a bit more to it than that… But you see where I’m cherry picking the similarities)
    That’s why I was considering using HPA with a regulator, in the past, in conjunction with the Jak Pack.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Ok… I’m just going off of past knowledge with using paintball markers. A big difference, I know, from pneumatic nailers… But also very similar.
    The air goes on through a low pressure regulator (built with steel and anodized aluminium), then into the chamber(also aluminum), then the solenoid trips either the sear or the spool valve, and drives the striker into the ball. (There’s a bit more to it than that… But you see where I’m cherry picking the similarities)
    That’s why I was considering using HPA with a regulator, in the past, in conjunction with the Jak Pack.

Is this for a framing gun or a trim gun?

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Is this for a framing gun or a trim gun?

The question is mainly for a framing gun. I wouldn’t have a problem using any type of compressed air or c02 with any of my trim guns.
    I don’t see myself getting a cordless framing nailer any time soon, but I’d like to be able to set trusses and do back framing without a hose and compressor.

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.304 seconds