dcsimg

CNC

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I thought I’d give you a couple closer pic of the drive system for my cnc, Also, my first sample board.

Looks like your starting to have some fun with your new toy (um, tool).
    Can’t wait till you get the hang of what this thing can really pop out and see what you come up with.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

wow that looks pretty sturdy, love the heavy duty threads the screw has. looks like my moxxon vise ones. acme threaded ones. I can’t wait to see what you do once you have that system down pat.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I thought I’d give you a couple closer pic of the drive system for my cnc, Also, my first sample board.

I can see a lot of cool projects coming from your new CNC Mark. How hard is the programming part?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Mark the sample board was neat. I guess you’ll be able to program in your chair pieces and have the machine crank them out while you do other stuff.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Mark, you’re evil. It’s making me think of all the neat things I can do with one myself. I’m pondering where I could put one now. So far, no solution for where I could put one. 🙁

An unheated shed I imagine is not a good idea.

Mark, you’re evil. It’s making me think of all the neat things I can do with one myself. I’m pondering where I could put one now. So far, no solution for where I could put one. :(

You could always put it in your house but the wife my not like that lol .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie

Mark, you’re evil. It’s making me think of all the neat things I can do with one myself. I’m pondering where I could put one now. So far, no solution for where I could put one. :(

You could always put it in your house but the wife my not like that lol .

My shop has already taken over our car garage. She’d freak if she saw me expanding the shop to a shed as well.

Clev08
    Pro

How long did it take to run that test sample? Do you have to change bits for different details or does it change the bits itself?

This is awesome, we are all pretty much jealous and want one 🙂 , I know I do.

Will

redwood
    Pro

How long did it take to run that test sample? Do you have to change bits for different details or does it change the bits itself?

Letters go quite fast, the bear and the eagle are actually in 3D, but you can’t really tell here. I think they took about 1/2 hour for both. The software does give you a time estimate. There are a lot of variables to set up, and that’s one area where I struggle with. Spindle speed, feed rates, how high it raises when it moves, how deep each pass, ect.

Unfortunately, changing bits is a manual process. I know there are machines out there with multiple spindles, but they get vary pricey. Something as simple as a sign, might take 3 different bits, or more, depending on the effects you are trying to create. The software creates a toolpath for each bit and you run each toolpath as a separate file. Then of course there are the bits. So many to choose from, and they all have there uses and characteristics. Now if I’m just cutting out parts and not embellishing anything, I would just use 1 bit.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

@redwood with what you just wrote what you think a average piece would cost you . Seems like labor would be high . I know you are not doing it for money . I’m just thinking to myself I guess .

redwood
    Pro

@redwood with what you just wrote what you think a average piece would cost you . Seems like labor would be high . I know you are not doing it for money . I’m just thinking to myself I guess .

@skillman

I’m not quite sure what the question is. What is a average piece?

Once everything is setup, I can walk away and do other things. For things like parts. Once it’s drawn up and the toolpath is created, I can use it over and over again. Say I want to cut 8 chair legs. All I have to do is load the material and press run. Swap out the material and press run again. My plan is to screw a pocket to hold the material onto my spoil board, so swaping material is easy. All the while, I’m doing something else. Now if I’m cutting the chair backs and want to embellish them, I will have to swap our bits, but that doesn’t take much time. If I’m doing 4 of them, I might router in all the designs on 4 pieces and then swap bits and cut them all out.

Of course I haven’t done this yet, so maybe I’m over simplifying it, but in my head, I think it can work. Time will tell.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Sorry @redwood I’m talking about price per piece if you had to sell it to the consumer .

redwood
    Pro

Here is one representation of the top rail of my chair backs.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Attachments:
    Doobie

Sounds like there’s a fair bit of a learning curve. Does sound like a fun learning venture though. As the Brits say ‘nice bit of kit’ there Mark. Keep your experience coming. It’s compelling to say the least.

Forgive me. You deserved an official “YOU SUCK”! Enjoy your new tool/toy there Mark. Retirement is showing its rewards for you. Happy for you! 👍👌

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Once everything is setup, I can walk away and do other things.

That is the big advantage maximizing your work time by getting 2 things done at the same time. This would then reduce your cost per hour of labor which will reduce the price of your furniture boosting sales.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Once everything is setup, I can walk away and do other things.

That is the big advantage maximizing your work time by getting 2 things done at the same time. This would then reduce your cost per hour of labor which will reduce the price of your furniture boosting sales.

That is pretty awesome, you can double your production speed. i like it, not only can you run your own designs and files, you can run publicly released files too. I wonder if there is a youtube channel or something that does that.

redwood
    Pro

Here is a actual milling of the chair back I showed above. I didn’t cut it all the way out, but I can. That’s a 2′ piece of 2×6 Port Orford Cedar, with a cedar stain.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

redwood
    Pro

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

The detail in the way it cuts is really good from the picture you posted . It didn’t mess up at all around that nut which could easily happen .

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.466 seconds