dcsimg

CNC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Author

Good luck with your new cnc machine . What’s the warranty on something like that . I did a quick google that’s expensive unit .

Always willing to learn .

I take it you have contacted the company about the sensor?
    Is it an easy replacement or do you have to replace a larger piece the sensor is attached to?

Of course, they told me it was probably the sensor and we went through a couple of steps to see if it was working correctly, and it wasn’t. Very easy to replace. The good thing about this experience is I now know a lot more about my machine.

Smart way to get a little bit better informed on the CNC, unfortunate about the sensor, but at least it will be taken care of,
    Congratulations on a very nice piece of equipment.

redwood
    Pro

Good luck with your new cnc machine . What’s the warranty on something like that . I did a quick google that’s expensive unit .

It has the typical one year warranty.

Yes, it was more then I was originally planning on spending. I was so close to purchasing a couple of cheaper machines, but something prevented me from doing so.

First off, I wanted a machine that would mill at least 3′. That would handle most furniture parts I was thinking of needing it for. That eliminated most of the cheaper machines. Larger machines were a pretty big jump in price.

Shipping is never included in the basic price. These machines are pretty heavy and the cost of shipping some of the models was as much as $ 800. This one was a flat $ 149, from Ohio, and I got it in about a week. Some of the others were 3-4 weeks out.

I also did not have to pay sales tax, though I know that I owe it.

A number of the machines (most) require you to have a computer physically hooked up to it. The axiom does not. Files are on a USB flash drive. That was a big point to me. I didn’t want to have to have add a additional computer in my shop.

The gantry’s on some of the machines were not nearly as substantial as this one. The gantry is the support system for the router/spindle. Maybe they would be fine, but all the more expensive units had much stronger support systems. Less vibration, means more accuracy.

The drive system on some of the units were belt driven. This system had ball screws. Once again, what I hope is a better solution.

Water cooled spindle. Imagine your router operating continuously for long periods of time. None of us use our hand held routers like that. Cooling is good.

Bottom line, I am hoping I purchased a machine that I won’t regret cheaping out on later. Though I certainly could have spent a lot more.

A lot of the machines had expensive options that are standard on this machine.

I should say that there are a lot of large format CNC machines available from China at very good prices. If fact this machine was made in Taiwan, which I consider just a step above China. Those units from the China mainland are shipped by boat and are a month or more out. All communication is also with personnel based in China. I have no issue with the Chinese, but it is easier to communicate with English speaking folks here in the States.

Any other questions?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I didn’t even think about the computer aspect of it . It would get damaged with all the shop dust . Plus like you said it’s a addition expenses on top of the cnc machine . The flash drive way seems like the best option .

Doobie

@Doobie — tell us more about your buddy with the water jet machine. Does he use it for wood? What kind of jobs?

No wood. For his work, it is used to cut thru metal for special dies he occasionally has to make.

He has used it for tiles also for personal projects making fancy mosaics. He made a fancy Toronto Maple Leafs wall mountable framed logo out of tiles that was about 3 X 4 feet in size. It was gorgeous. He approached MLSE to see if he could make them for sale. He quickly dismissed that when they said he would need to cough up $100K up front for the rights to use their logo and had to pay a high percentage royalty on each one sold.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@Doobie — tell us more about your buddy with the water jet machine. Does he use it for wood? What kind of jobs?

No wood. For his work, it is used to cut thru metal for special dies he occasionally has to make.

He has used it for tiles also for personal projects making fancy mosaics. He made a fancy Toronto Maple Leafs wall mountable framed logo out of tiles that was about 3 X 4 feet in size. It was gorgeous. He approached MLSE to see if he could make them for sale. He quickly dismissed that when they said he would need to cough up $100K up front for the rights to use their logo and had to pay a high percentage royalty on each one sold.

does he charge alot for doing cuts, i was thinking of looking up a waterjet guy to cut some parts out.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Yes, it was more then I was originally planning on spending. I was so close to purchasing a couple of cheaper machines, but something prevented me from doing so.

First off, I wanted a machine that would mill at least 3′. That would handle most furniture parts I was thinking of needing it for. That eliminated most of the cheaper machines. Larger machines were a pretty big jump in price.

Mark,
    You obviously did your homework on this CNC purchase.
    Now on this machine, does it have good dust collection port(s)?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Did you have to run a special water line or just hook up a garden hose?
    Maybe like a radiator closed system?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Guess that explains why winning games doesn’t figure in their business plan. LOL
    For metal cutting he would use abrasive in the water jet, I would imagine. I have always been fascinated by that process.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Ok, by now most of you know I bit the bullet and purchased a CNC machine.

Mark congrats on the purchase. Will this machine handle metal as well?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

redwood
    Pro

Now on this machine, does it have good dust collection port(s)?

It has a 4″ dustport next to the spindle. I think you can see the brush and port in my pics. The hose is not hooked up. The brushes are held up by rare earth magnets, so they are easy to take off to change bits.

Mark congrats on the purchase. Will this machine handle metal as well?

Yes, soft metals. Basically, any material that you can use with a router and the right bit, you can use on this machine.

“Need to produce a unique component? Wood, Aluminum, Brass, Composites, Phenolic, Foam, Plastic… If it can be cut with a spinning bit, Axiom Precision can produce it quickly and accurately.”

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Doobie

does he charge a lot for doing cuts, i was thinking of looking up a waterjet guy to cut some parts out.

We had a business related falling out a few years ago and haven’t spoken. His wife, who is an old family friend since my childhood, did call me just last week out of the blue. Maybe relations are ready for a thawing. Just no more business stuff between us.

He wouldn’t be doing that kind of work for strangers. He’s be doing things for free like that if you were friends with him. He doesn’t need the money. His shop, which is on his property is like the size of an airplane hanger. Just him and his son work in it, but he has all sorts of equipment in there.

For metal cutting he would use abrasive in the water jet, I would imagine. I have always been fascinated by that process.

I may be wrong, but I think it is just water. It’s pretty loud when it’s cutting.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

does he charge a lot for doing cuts, i was thinking of looking up a waterjet guy to cut some parts out.

We had a business related falling out a few years ago and haven’t spoken. His wife, who is an old family friend since my childhood, did call me just last week out of the blue. Maybe relations are ready for a thawing. Just no more business stuff between us.

He wouldn’t be doing that kind of work for strangers. He’s be doing things for free like that if you were friends with him. He doesn’t need the money. His shop, which is on his property is like the size of an airplane hanger. Just him and his son work in it, but he has all sorts of equipment in there.

I may be wrong, but I think it is just water. It’s pretty loud when it’s cutting.

ahhh thats too bad, i am contemplating building a new grinder. Kinda bored of changing out the belt with different grits all the time. might even build a third one just for horizontal grinding. However i’ll have to find a different way to build it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Have you tried it out yet?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Looks like quite the machine you’ve got there Mark. What router are you planning to use with it?

It doesn’t actually use a router, it is a 3 HP, water cooled spindle. A lot of the cheaper CNC’s are made to use routers. The cheaper the CNC, usually the smaller router. Many of the smaller CNC;s use the Bosch Colt.

Interesting..never knew that! You’ve done your research!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

Have you tried it out yet?

Yea, really! Need to get it in action Mark as soon as you get that replacement sensor and install it!

redwood
    Pro

Ok, this morning I get a email from the manufacturer. They didn’t send me the part. I’m thinking great. Well they wanted me to check a connection in the controller box, where the sensor connects. Low and behold, it was loose. Tightened it up and everything appears to work like it is supposed to. Had they sent me the new sensor, I would have still had a problem.

I guess that desk I started is going to go a little slower.

First thing I have to do is to surface the spoil board, so that it is exactly perpendicular to the spindle.

I’m feeling so much better.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

That’s good of the manufacture to call you about fixing it yourself first mark . That’s some good tech service .

Doobie

Ok, this morning I get a email from the manufacturer. They didn’t send me the part. I’m thinking great. Well they wanted me to check a connection in the controller box, where the sensor connects. Low and behold, it was loose. Tightened it up and everything appears to work like it is supposed to. Had they sent me the new sensor, I would have still had a problem.

I guess that desk I started is going to go a little slower.

First thing I have to do is to surface the spoil board, so that it is exactly perpendicular to the spindle.

I’m feeling so much better.

That’s a nice change of course. Glad to hear it work out.

redwood
    Pro

And the spoiler board is completed.

I actually took a short video of it, but I have no idea how to post it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.693 seconds