dcsimg

CNC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

Ok, by now most of you know I bit the bullet and purchased a CNC machine. I purchased a Axiom Autoroute 6. I’ve been intrigued by these machines for many years, ever since I saw one in a large cabinet shop.

It will handle a material capacity of 2′ x 3′ without tiling the project. It has Z range of 6″.

The software I chose was VCarve Pro. It’s a middling piece of software that is pretty powerful and seems to be fairly easy to use, once you get used to it. There are tons of video’s on YouTube, many of which deal with projects.

Once properly setup this machine will do pretty much anything you can possibly use a router for, this will do it easier and more accurately. It will even do your shelf pin drilling, as well as intricate carvings and cutting out furniture parts.

If you are interested, I’ll go into reasons for purchasing this particular machine.

Unfortunately, mine arrived with a bug. There is a sensor on the Z axis which isn’t performing as it should. This little sensor works like the sensors on automatic garage door. It tells the spindle when to stop, when it arrives at it’s limits. These machines are very accurate and require calibration each time they are used. This faulty sensor is not allowing that calibration to complete it’s task. Everything else appears to work fine.

I’ll have more to say I’m sure, after I get it running.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Totally AWSOME Mark! Cant wait till you get it running.
    Have any plans of what you will be making with it?

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Unfortunately, mine arrived with a bug. There is a sensor on the Z axis which isn’t performing as it should. This little sensor works like the sensors on automatic garage door. It tells the spindle when to stop, when it arrives at it’s limits. These machines are very accurate and require calibration each time they are used. This faulty sensor is not allowing that calibration to complete it’s task. Everything else appears to work fine.

Well that stinks. How long till they get this problem fixed for you?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

That is a sweet piece of machinery you got there Mark! Do you have a particular use in mind for it or just whatever comes to mind?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

redwood
    Pro

Well that stinks. How long till they get this problem fixed for you?

This sensor is probably the smallest part on the whole machine. They said they will mail me a new one.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

redwood
    Pro

That is a sweet piece of machinery you got there Mark! Do you have a particular use in mind for it or just whatever comes to mind?

Probably the whatever comes to mind.

My tables and chairs are now at a store in town. Hopefully I can sell a couple of sets. My plan is to set the machine up to cut out parts and decorate them.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

One heck of an investment there Mark. From your post, you seem to be quite familiar with everything and up to speed on using it to make parts. Sorry the sensor sabotaged you so far. Looking forward to hearing more as you put it to use.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Wow thats an awesome piece of machine you have there. I am sure this wasnt cheap but the way technology moves its cool to see someone like you have one of these. 10 years ago the only cnc machines seemed like they were only in huge production places.

redwood
    Pro

One heck of an investment there Mark. From your post, you seem to be quite familiar with everything and up to speed on using it to make parts. Sorry the sensor sabotaged you so far. Looking forward to hearing more as you put it to use.

@PI_Woodworker

From my perspective, it’s not really a investment, more of a toy. I’m retired remember.

When I was working, I would have no time for something like this and it’s capabilities would have been lost with what I did. Now I have the time and I don’t have the responsibilities I used to have.

If I don’t make a cent off this machine, all it means is that I will run of money sooner and will have to move to a apartment or pass on.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Looks like quite the machine you’ve got there Mark. What router are you planning to use with it?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

Looks like quite the machine you’ve got there Mark. What router are you planning to use with it?

It doesn’t actually use a router, it is a 3 HP, water cooled spindle. A lot of the cheaper CNC’s are made to use routers. The cheaper the CNC, usually the smaller router. Many of the smaller CNC;s use the Bosch Colt.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

KenW
    Pro

I bet that sensor is an expensive part too. Hope it gets to you quick. Look forward to pics on any projects you decide to use it for.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That a great new toy you got there, I hope you pick up the software fast and get some good use out of it.

Doobie

Mark, let me start off by saying “YOU SUCK”. Big time! Way to go! I’d love one myself.

Nice retirement toy. Looking forward to see you work with it.

Insofar as the cheaper units having just routers, I have a buddy who has two of them and a water jet cutter. He does steel rule dies. His two CNC’s are huge and cost him a few hundred K to buy. Both originally had proprietor motorized cutters which would crap out anywhere from every 3 to 6 months costing him a grand or so each time. He found a way to outfit them with cheap Trend routers he would import from the UK for about $100 a pop. They would last almost just as long as the other ones. Trend, if I’m not mistaken, is the Freud brand in the UK. FWIW. Just thought you may want to know that for future reference.

What kinds of mediums can you set it up for? Just wood? What hardness level?

redwood
    Pro

What kinds of mediums can you set it up for? Just wood? What hardness level?

First off, I have no problem with routers, I have about 6 of them.

It will work with wood, acrylics, and soft metals. I’m not sure about hardness levels. At this point I only plan on using mine for wood.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

wow this is awesome, i would love a cnc, i can’t wait to see what you produce out of it. The interesting projects that will come out of it will be amazing to watch, i hope you do timelapse videos on it.

Doobie

It will work with wood, acrylics, and soft metals. I’m not sure about hardness levels. At this point I only plan on using mine for wood.

I was wondering if it could be used in Ipe. I doubt it. As you know how hard Ipe is and eats bits like chocolate.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

If you are interested, I’ll go into reasons for purchasing this particular machine.

Of course we’re interested in to the reasoning of your purchase. LOL

I take it you have contacted the company about the sensor?
    Is it an easy replacement or do you have to replace a larger piece the sensor is attached to?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Of course we’re interested in to the reasoning of your purchase. LOL

Is it an easy replacement or do you have to replace a larger piece the sensor is attached to?

I would like to know how you made the decision on this model as well.
    Congrats again on your new toy; great way to enjoy retirement.

@Doobie
    — tell us more about your buddy with the water jet machine. Does he use it for wood? What kind of jobs?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

redwood
    Pro

Of course, they told me it was probably the sensor and we went through a couple of steps to see if it was working correctly, and it wasn’t. Very easy to replace. The good thing about this experience is I now know a lot more about my machine.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.638 seconds