dcsimg

CNC Carving Machine

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Anybody have any experience with a CNC carver? I am wanting to make some fairly small signs and maybe a decorative trim piece or two. I know Rockler has one they sell and so does Woodcraft. There are a few more floating around. Anybody care to put in their two cents worth.

WoodDoc
    Pro

CNC machines are the big leagues.
    It is amazing how those big ones in big cabinet shops throw the wood around cutting everything so perfect and fast.
    How many signs are you doing?
    I’m not sure we are talking about the same thing. CNC machines I know about start at 50k.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Rockler has versions that are in the 3 – 4 k range. They will handle a piece roughly 2′ x 3′ and use a router for a powerhead.

Imwould check the rockler stores around you if there are any. The ones here have CNC demos oncema month and a lot of the CNC owners comemin to discuss projects.

redwood
    Pro

No experience, but would love to know.

Amazon has a few, some priced in the sub $ 1k range, though I wouldn’t suspect that they are top quality.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I have seen some of those Mark. I was hoping somebody had some experience with those. I looked them up and the specs were in metric only and the support office was in Hong Kong. I got a little nervous.

Rockler sells the Shark line which uses a carbide bit. Similar machines are available from ShopBot and Laguna. There is another company that sells lasers that do similar work through engraving -> Epilog Laser. Large investment but I believe the prices will be coming down as more folks buy these machines. I would love to have one.

If you want a project and build a sweet cnc check out the Kronos cnc kit. My mates currently building one and its a nice bit of kit.

Attachments:
    mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

The small ones are really coming down in price, but what I would really love would be one that could take a big 5×5 or even 4×8 sheet. Even the small ones I see around here are still over $10k – maybe another 5 or 10 years and we’ll have something a little more affordable, or maybe a green festool one for $100k 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh man, CNC anything is so cool. I’d love to have one

Im going to be helping my mate put his together over the next few weeks. I will post some pics when im over there. Its meant to be a very cheap way to get a nice CNC machine. As far as i know a lot of the parts are from 80/20

redwood
    Pro

Im going to be helping my mate put his together over the next few weeks. I will post some pics when im over there. Its meant to be a very cheap way to get a nice CNC machine. As far as i know a lot of the parts are from 80/20

We are going to hold you to that, it would be great.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

He’s doing it in stages so that makes it easier for me to keep up with. Im over there helping level the base first in 2 weeks. I think he’s starting with the 2’x3′ model. May be slow progress but anything i can get i will post.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Can’t wait to see this. Keep us posted, if there’s an affordable DIY option that would be awesome, any idea on estimated cost of parts and the size it will be able to cut?

From what I’m hearing so far for the instructions and the parts to build the kit come out to $4k and it looks like a very nice kit as it can easily be expanded from what I’m seeing. I think he said it’s a 32×26 so not massive but still great size for most of the stuff he does like doors and draw fronts.

I didn’t realize how much went into them but I think he said the luguna one that does the same as his was double the price. He’s building it in his spare time so it’s a pretty big saving. I’m over there this weekend helping him do the base and leveling it. I will grab some more details then.

WoodDoc
    Pro

Rockler has versions that are in the 3 – 4 k range. They will handle a piece roughly 2′ x 3′ and use a router for a powerhead.

I never knew they made little/cheap ones like that. I’ve only seen/heard of them in cabinet shops.
    Interesting…..I’ll look into that.
    Thx.

kzcarp
    Pro

If you want a project and build a sweet cnc check out the Kronos cnc kit. My mates currently building one and its a nice bit of kit.

Holy 80/20 Batman!
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen that much in one place.

kevin

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man that looks like a nice kit. Is he building that here or in the UK?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I keep looking at CNC metal lathes. Would love to have one. Problem is space. CNC is the way to go though.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I have almost figured out which one I will go with. Would a brief synopsis of the things I learned to avoid and which things are a must have be benficial to anyone? If nothing else maybe just a newby’s perspective of what is what. Maybe it could be an article for the site. Anbody have any desire to see it?

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

@jdw1865 I would be very interested in an article like that. I’ve been interested in a small CNC for some time but haven’t pulled the trigger as of yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.530 seconds