dcsimg

Cleaning 10" Saw Blades

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This is the best it came out. Just basically blemishes of the crud that was there. You cannot feel any surface residual running your fingernail over the blemish marks whatsoever.

Looks pretty good after all that soaking. You could always use some fine steel wool to get rid of the blemishes.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Doobie

This is the best it came out. Just basically blemishes of the crud that was there. You cannot feel any surface residual running your fingernail over the blemish marks whatsoever.

Looks pretty good after all that soaking. You could always use some fine steel wool to get rid of the blemishes.

It’s good enough. It’s an estitic thing at this point and it really doesn’t matter as long as any real surface build up is gone.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:

Doobie wrote:

A powered spinning blade? Or just spun by hand?

Just a spinning blade

Good. You had me concerned a bit there and I wasn’t certain 100%. There’s some devillishly dangerous tricks/techniques handed down some times from some of the old timers out there.

I also was envisioning revving up the saw and touching it with the rag.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:

Doobie wrote:

A powered spinning blade? Or just spun by hand?

Just a spinning blade

Good. You had me concerned a bit there and I wasn’t certain 100%. There’s some devillishly dangerous tricks/techniques handed down some times from some of the old timers out there.

I also was envisioning revving up the saw and touching it with the rag.

How do you wax your blade???

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

OldCountryWoodworks
    Pro
    Edmonton, Alberta

CMT works excellent. I have one bag on the jobsite with liquids, silicone, glue, DAP, Cleaner lacquer.

On site I squirt the blade on both sides then rub with my fingers and in five minutes I have a clean blade, wipe with a rag or on pants. They are called work pants.

The reason the blade cuts better when it is clean. The pitch or resin has a thickness that is now rubbing against your clean cut taking chips with it. It is also causing friction because the blade is now thicker than the cutting surface.

I clean my blades about every ten days, and sharpen every third kitchen.

Served apprenticeship in 1977 in Bavaria

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

CMT works excellent. I have one bag on the jobsite with liquids, silicone, glue, DAP, Cleaner lacquer.

On site I squirt the blade on both sides then rub with my fingers and in five minutes I have a clean blade, wipe with a rag or on pants. They are called work pants.

The reason the blade cuts better when it is clean. The pitch or resin has a thickness that is now rubbing against your clean cut taking chips with it. It is also causing friction because the blade is now thicker than the cutting surface.

I clean my blades about every ten days, and sharpen every third kitchen.

@jimdaddyo here suggested gel alcohol based hand cleaner to clean blades. Cheap, easy to get and very effective.

You’re right about clean blades cutting better and running cooler.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

One thing that just occurred to me, has anybody ever tried to clean their blade in their dishwasher?

As long as you saddle it such that the sharp teeth don’t somehow damage the plastic coated dishwasher racks, the only thing I can think of that would be of concern is that the strong detergent would weaken the braising of carbide teeth.

For me, I would probably try them on the flat cutlery tray in my Miele dishwasher.

I’ve heard of people washing car hub caps in their dishwasher, why not shop blades and such? What am I missing in this idea not being viable for cleaning pitched blades in one’s dishwasher?

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.308 seconds