dcsimg

Cleaning 10" Saw Blades

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Author

I use oven cleaner to its something at my house at all times @jkirk we are on the same team lol I never try anything else for it

Oven cleaner can weaken the silver solder joint that holds the carbide to the blade body. Or so I have heard from several reliable sources. I would use something else.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

oven cleaner is something i dont use often its more of in a pinch. i prefer the freud blade cleaner as it isnt a harsh chemical and its fine to use inside the house. it does take a little extra work when using a steel brush however to get all the burnt in pitch off of blades

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Doobie

I use oven cleaner to its something at my house at all times @jkirk we are on the same team lol I never try anything else for it

I’ve read many times that is a nono. Doesn’t it even say on the instructions for oven cleaner not to spray it on certain metals like chrome, aluminum, copper etc including chipped enamel oven racks. You’re really risking having a carbide took flying off at you imo. They use metals like copper and silver in braising carbide teeth on.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’ve read many times that is a nono. Doesn’t it even say on the instructions for oven cleaner not to spray it on certain metals like chrome, aluminum, copper etc including chipped enamel oven racks. You’re really risking having a carbide took flying off at you imo. They use metals like copper and silver in braising carbide teeth on.

This writer (in the link below) poses a very good question; you can use oven cleaner, but why? There are so many better, safer cleaners available.

The biggest argument against oven cleaner is that it will remove plastic coatings and other labeling..

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pages/saw-blades/can-cleaners-harm-saw-blades.html

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My 10″ TS blade was getting pretty gummed up from all the pine and cedar I have been cutting. I was looking for something to soak the blade in to release some of the pitch and found this.

I use 20 liter (5 USGal) food service pails in the shop for scraps and general garbage pails.

Nice tip. I usually use WD-40 and if that doesn’t work then lacquer thinner always does the trick.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I really should start cleaning my blades . Instead of just throwing them out and buying new blades .

Wait, is this a joke? I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not. Either way, for me throwing out a $100 blade when it could be cleaned in 10 minutes doesn’t make sense. I guess if you’re using really cheap blades I could see the point.

@smallerstick great idea Peter, fits perfectly and use less methyl hydrate
    Have to remember this,

I think @jimdaddyo had done something similar?

@woodman_412 great video Dan,

Yes, I used hand sanitizer. But to dirt, alcohol is alcohol, so methyl hydrate would work well. Wear gloves though.

Actually, even the hand sanitizer will let you know if you have any nicks, cuts, hang nails, or slivers in your hands in a hurry….I know this from experience.

yes sir , i thought i remembered your comments in a video you had done a while ago , i should give it a try , I guess it is good for any types of blades , circ saw ,

I really should start cleaning my blades . Instead of just throwing them out and buying new blades .

Wait, is this a joke? I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not. Either way, for me throwing out a $100 blade when it could be cleaned in 10 minutes doesn’t make sense. I guess if you’re using really cheap blades I could see the point.

It’s true I never clean my blades . Weather cheap or expensive . Every job the blades are included in the materials cost for the job .

Always willing to learn .

It’s true I never clean my blades . Weather cheap or expensive . Every job the blades are included in the materials cost for the job .

I never bother with cleaning circular saw blades, they are basically disposable to me, and cut well enough until they are dull.

For table and miter saw blades, those can run over 150$. Id rather keep them in good shape as long as possible. Better the money sits in my pocket

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

So, if you cleaned and reused your blades, your bids would be just a bit more competitive, wouldn’t they? Or your profit a bit higher?

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Oh I didn’t even did a research on that. Thanks for letting me know guys. I guess I’m gonna have to look for the freud blade cleaner I guess. Thanks for the heads up @jkirk @jimdaddyo

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

So, if you cleaned and reused your blades, your bids would be just a bit more competitive, wouldn’t they? Or your profit a bit higher?

There consumables like bolts , nails , screws etc . You should not have to pay for them out of your pocket for projects . It’s really not a profit . If a $100 bucks means you need to stay competitive something wrong .

I never bother with cleaning circular saw blades, they are basically disposable to me, and cut well enough until they are dull.

For table and miter saw blades, those can run over 150$. Id rather keep them in good shape as long as possible. Better the money sits in my pocket

Very true if you have your own shop . Since it’s hard to get clients to pay for them .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie

This writer (in the link below) poses a very good question; you can use oven cleaner, but why? There are so many better, safer cleaners available.

The biggest argument against oven cleaner is that it will remove plastic coatings and other labeling..

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pages/saw-blades/can-cleaners-harm-saw-blades.html

I read those guys. I think they are wrong. They seem to think anything and everything is OK to use. Much larger companies who make blades have hostorically had warnings against many cleaning solutions that they seem to be giving a thumbs up on.

For me, decent blades cost money, plus I don’t want to risk the potential dangers so I lean towards the more docile solutions out there. But, to each their own.

gotwoodworkshop
    Pro
    Spring Hill, KS

Great tip on using the 5 gallon bucket lid!

Matt
    Got Wood Workshop

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I read those guys. I think they are wrong. They seem to think anything and everything is OK to use. Much larger companies who make blades have hostorically had warnings against many cleaning solutions that they seem to be giving a thumbs up on.

For me, decent blades cost money, plus I don’t want to risk the potential dangers so I lean towards the more docile solutions out there. But, to each their own.

Please don’t get me wrong and don’t look on the information in the link as incorrect. I favour the least chemically active method of removing pitch and resin that I can and the author of that information piece clearly asks why anyone would want to use oven cleaner when there are so many less harsh, effective alternatives.

Please don’t get me wrong and don’t look on the information in the link as incorrect. I favour the least chemically active method of removing pitch and resin that I can and the author of that information piece clearly asks why anyone would want to use oven cleaner when there are so many less harsh, effective alternatives.

I like the way you think. When ever I have something to clean, I start with the least harsh way first (damp rag) and then get progressively more aggressive with cleaning agents.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Very true if you have your own shop . Since it’s hard to get clients to pay for them .

Okay I see. For circ saw blades it’s absolutely understandable. For table saw or chop saw blades it’s harder for me to chuck those.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Lots of good tips here – I know I need to start cleaning my blades. Now I just need to figure out what’s most easily available. Would a hydrogen peroxide/ water mixture work? As long as I dried it really well?

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Lots of good tips here – I know I need to start cleaning my blades. Now I just need to figure out what’s most easily available. Would a hydrogen peroxide/ water mixture work? As long as I dried it really well?

I think I would be inclined towards a solvent for the pitch and resin on the blades. Consensus here is alcohol or citrus based products are the most effective and least harmful.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I think I would be inclined towards a solvent for the pitch and resin on the blades. Consensus here is alcohol or citrus based products are the most effective and least harmful.

Thanks for summing it up for me – I read through them all, and by the time I got to the end, I think I’d forgotten half of it 🙂 Citrus or alcohol, I can remember that!

Charlie

Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.410 seconds