dcsimg

Cleaning 10" Saw Blades

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

My 10″ TS blade was getting pretty gummed up from all the pine and cedar I have been cutting. I was looking for something to soak the blade in to release some of the pitch and found this.

I use 20 liter (5 USGal) food service pails in the shop for scraps and general garbage pails. The lids just happen to hold a 10″ blade perfectly. I was able to clean the blade thoroughly with not more than a cup of methyl hydrate.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Peter,
    Great tip on the lid of a 5GAL bucket.

I have a small Rubbermaid container but use a biodegradable de-greaser, I find that it just melts any gum up on blades along with a cheap PA brass wire brush.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Good tips from both of you on cleaning gummed up blades.

Definitely handy that a 10″ blade fits so nicely in a 5gal lid.

Doobie

There’s all sorts of concoctions or solutions that I’ve seen people use over the years. One thing you gotta be careful of is ones that can degrade the braising used to adhere the teeth of carbide tipped blades. I can’t recall anybody ever mentioning methyl hydrate though. Maybe it is harmful to the braising and is why people don’t tend to use it, I dunno.

I do recall a lot of people years ago using one of the Simple Green products years ago, but that was one of them that was harmful to the braising according to some.

Try Arm & Hammer Washing Soda next time (no, not baking soda but ‘washing’ soda). Cheap and doesn’t smell the place up. I learned that one on another forum about ten years ago and have been using it ever since. It’s actually not that easy to find in stores. It’s a powder additive meant to be added to your laundry as a booster of sorts, but it works great on its own for degumming blades and tools after a soak in it. Look for it in the laundry soap section of stores. It seems to be a lot more available in the US than in Canada. Took me a while to find it. A box of it will last a lifetime for most of us.

http://armandhammerlaundry.ca/products/super-washing-soda-detergent-booster?gclid=CLGbiMiz5c8CFQgFaQod2LYB7Q

Attachments:
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

There’s all sorts of concoctions or solutions that I’ve seen people use over the years. One thing you gotta be careful of is ones that can degrade the braising used to adhere the teeth of carbide tipped blades. I can’t recall anybody ever mentioning methyl hydrate though. Maybe it is harmful to the braising and is why people don’t tend to use it, I dunno.

I do recall a lot of people years ago using one of the Simple Green products years ago, but that was one of them that was harmful to the braising according to some.

Try Arm & Hammer Washing Soda next time (no, not baking soda but ‘washing’ soda). Cheap and doesn’t smell the place up. I learned that one on another forum about ten years ago and have been using it ever since. It’s actually not that easy to find in stores. It’s a powder additive meant to be added to your laundry as a booster of sorts, but it works great on its own for degumming blades and tools after a soak in it. Look for it in the laundry soap section of stores. It seems to be a lot more available in the US than in Canada. Took me a while to find it. A box of it will last a lifetime for most of us.

http://armandhammerlaundry.ca/products/super-washing-soda-detergent-booster?gclid=CLGbiMiz5c8CFQgFaQod2LYB7Q

Lots of folks use that gel hand sanitiser to clean blades; it’s just a gel form of methyl hydrate. Absolutely no effect on the brazing of the carbides. Totally safe!

I would be far more concerned about using anything water based although a thorough drying after cleaning would prevent any corrosion that might occur.

Methyl hydrate has the advantage of being really quick acting. Pour it on, give it a fast brushing and it’s done. Residual liquid evaporates in just a few moments.

I have heard about the washing soda but it’s painfully slow working.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Didn’t @woodman_412 have a video on this. Maybe he can post it up

woodman_412

That’s a great tip using the lid of the pail Peter. I usually use a plastic oil change pan for cleaning my blades and bits in. I like that the lid you use is nice and shallow though.

Didn’t woodman_412 have a video on this. Maybe he can post it up

Here’s the video that I did on blade cleaning Austin.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

lol i use freuds blade cleaner, its similar to goo gone.. i just do it in my kitchen sink where its a stainless sink. if i need heavy duty i lay out cardboard in the driveway and blast em with oven cleaner

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

I have been using the CMT Orange cleaner and it works well. Here is what the description says:

Removes pitch, resin and adhesive residue from any woodworking cutting tools (saw blades and bits).
    Completely non-toxic, non-flammable, certified biodegradable, safe and earth-friendly.
    Do not rinse after cleaning. Provides protection from rust/corrosion. Keeps table saw top rust free.
    Can be applied by spray bottle or used in ultrasonic cleaners and dip tanks.
    This product received a five-star performance rating from Wood Magazine.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I use the CMT cleaner…and I swear it’s basically the same thing as 409 cleaner. It works well, but its a bit overpriced for what it is.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@smallerstick great idea Peter, fits perfectly and use less methyl hydrate
    Have to remember this,

I think @JimDaddyO had done something similar?

@woodman_412
    great video Dan,

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I have used washing soda and a stiff bristle nylon brush with good results. Mix one table spoon in one quart quart of warm water. Let soak for 15 minutes.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I use the CMT cleaner…and I swear it’s basically the same thing as 409 cleaner. It works well, but its a bit overpriced for what it is.

I like that there is no rust and no fumes/volatile compounds. A little goes a long way.

@smallerstick great idea Peter, fits perfectly and use less methyl hydrate
    Have to remember this,

I think @jimdaddyo had done something similar?

@woodman_412 great video Dan,

Yes, I used hand sanitizer. But to dirt, alcohol is alcohol, so methyl hydrate would work well. Wear gloves though.

Actually, even the hand sanitizer will let you know if you have any nicks, cuts, hang nails, or slivers in your hands in a hurry….I know this from experience.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

I use the CMT cleaner…and I swear it’s basically the same thing as 409 cleaner.

I’ve read of a lot of people using 409 as well. Another cheap solution.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

No matter how you do it, like Dan said in his video, it’s important to keep blades and cutters clean. They run smoother, cut better and last longer.

Doobie

I’m overdue cleaning a few of my blades. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow. Maybe I’ll clean them then. I’ve got at least three blades that are overdue. Might try experimenting with different types of solutions just because of this thread.

lol i use freuds blade cleaner, its similar to goo gone.. i just do it in my kitchen sink where its a stainless sink. if i need heavy duty i lay out cardboard in the driveway and blast em with oven cleaner

I really should start cleaning my blades . Instead of just throwing them out and buying new blades .

Always willing to learn .

woodman_412

No matter how you do it, like Dan said in his video, it’s important to keep blades and cutters clean. They run smoother, cut better and last longer.

It’s so true Peter. I used to send my melamine blade out for sharpening thinking that it was dull when I started getting chip out on the melamine. Found out more recently that it was just dirty and a cleaning made it cut like new again. Cleaning saves me a lot of money in sharpening now since sharpening happens far less often plus the blades and bits last longer since they aren’t getting sharpened as often.

Dan

danpattison.com

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I use oven cleaner to its something at my house at all times @jkirk we are on the same team lol I never try anything else for it

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.450 seconds