dcsimg

cleanest way to wire a panel?

This topic contains 80 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  gdhaywood 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Author

I would point out that using tyraps to bundle the conductors limits heat dispersion-not a good idea IMHO.

Definitely a good tip. We don’t bundle them tight, just enough to keep them together.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Here we are require to zip ties or another means of bundling to keep three wire circuits with the corresponding neutral when they go through a common raceway. So in the picture I posted all of the branch circuits come through the same 2″ inch raceway. So I am required to keep all the three wire circuits together. The 2 hots with the neutral.

You guys dont have to keep the service wires and branch circuit wires separate in the states? Here in Alberta we always bring our cables into the side of the panel so they dont pass through the area where the service conductors terminate

And thanks for all the reaponses, and some nice panels too…. im getting the idea that tyraps and extra slack are not popular.

Doobie
    Pro

You know when it’s a good job when the inspector comes in, takes one quick look at at and walks right back out the door.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

You guys dont have to keep the service wires and branch circuit wires separate in the states? Here in Alberta we always bring our cables into the side of the panel so they dont pass through the area where the service conductors terminate

That is a nice looking job on that panel !

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@kmann3737 that is a really nice panel layout. Nice and clean.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

I’m an advocate of having some slack some where in case you need it later.
    Once inside the panel, though, nothing beats a well thought out, clean installation.
    I’ve been looking at redoing my own and putting in a shop subpanel. It’s about 75 feet from the service entrance to the shop, of course.

Anonymous

Hot panel

Anonymous

Don’t know a lot about electrical work, but I can tell you whoever did my house wasn’t as detail oriented as you fellows. Nice work. When I have mine redone I’ll make sure I have someone like you guys do it.

DaveVan
    Pro

This is one of the recent panels I did. I try to keep my wires straight and clean. We are not allowed to use zip ties any more because it is considered bundling, for heat dissipation reasons. You will see zip ties around some of my wires these are 3 wire circuits meaning you have 2 wires sharing a neutral and on a two pole breaker.

It is not always easy making a panel swap look good because the existing wires aren’t always long enough.

Are those aluminum feeders? Do you use aluminum wire or is this the utility company’s wire?

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

This is one of the recent panels I did. I try to keep my wires straight and clean. We are not allowed to use zip ties any more because it is considered bundling, for heat dissipation reasons. You will see zip ties around some of my wires these are 3 wire circuits meaning you have 2 wires sharing a neutral and on a two pole breaker.

It is not always easy making a panel swap look good because the existing wires aren’t always long enough.

Are those aluminum feeders? Do you use aluminum wire or is this the utility company’s wire?

It is aluminum. We can use aluminum or cooper aluminum is more common.

Anonymous

We can use aluminum or cooper aluminum is more common.

And a lot less expensive.

Some areas it won’t pass if wires are all over place in panel . Really don’t take that longer to make a panel wired clean .

Wow, that’s nice. I don’t know squat about wiring panels but was watching youtube last night trying to learn. There were some very educational videos and the guy did a nice job but that pic is much nicer.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Some areas it won’t pass if wires are all over place in panel . Really don’t take that longer to make a panel wired clean .

Wow, that’s nice. I don’t know squat about wiring panels but was watching youtube last night trying to learn. There were some very educational videos and the guy did a nice job but that pic is much nicer.

It’s really an art form installing a panel ( or conduit). The job always seems more professional when it’s clean and neat as opposed to tangled and messy.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

It’s really an art form installing a panel ( or conduit). The job always seems more professional when it’s clean and neat as opposed to tangled and messy.

Yes, I agree that it’s an art form. I’m always amazed when I watch the guys bend the PVC conduit with a propane torch and how nice it turns out when they are done.

I’m OCD and I really love when things are neat and in it’s place.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

This is the sub panel in my garage.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie
    Pro

Here’s my panel that me and electrician swapped from a fuse panel 12 years ago. Inspector spent all of three seconds signed off and left.

Anonymous

I’m OCD and I really love when things are neat and in it’s place.

That seems to be quite common on here. 🙂

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This is the sub panel in my garage.

Here’s my panel that me and electrician swapped from a fuse panel 12 years ago. Inspector spent all of three seconds signed off and left.

Both of those installations are very professional and neat. Makes it a lot easier when something goes wrong to figure out what it is when everything is laid out nicely.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.641 seconds