dcsimg

cleanest way to wire a panel?

This topic contains 80 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  gdhaywood 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 81 total)
  • Author

Tyraps? Slack? Loops? Show pics or explain your method. Im very particular and work for a guy who is even more so. If money was no object, what would you do to make a panel look sexy?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Install everything nice and neat, bend wires at right angles and avoid they typical spider web effect. I have seen panels that look like artwork and others that look like a birds nest. the only wiring that is seen in most houses is in the panels so make it look good. I have also seen EMT conduit work on jobs that looked like artwork. I have a lot of respect for the talents of electricians that can make it look that way.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m not an electrician, but I’ve learned a thing or two about how to keep a panel clean.

I like to keep all of the wires loose until the last one is ready to connect to the breaker. This makes it easy to organize the wires into flat, straight groups and keeps them from crossing over and under each other. It also ensures that wires are cut to appropriate lengths. I try to keep as much slack in the wire as possible and still be able to tuck it in the box neatly–loops are a great way to accomplish this, especially witht the feeder wires.

I agree with Kurt about electricians making art with their work. It can be impressive how neat wires /EMT are laid out.

Also, welcome to BTP @kmann3737!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Some areas it won’t pass if wires are all over place in panel . Really don’t take that longer to make a panel wired clean .

Attachments:

Always willing to learn .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Now that is how a panel should look, everything neat and orderly.

Anonymous

I may be wrong, but shouldn’t there be drip loops on those wires? Even if they are inside lines. Maybe they are hidden and I can’t see them.

RyanF
    Pro

I may be wrong, but shouldn’t there be drip loops on those wires? Even if they are inside lines. Maybe they are hidden and I can’t see them.

I may be wrong as well, but based on what I know about the purpose of a drip loop, I’d say you’d be screwed either way if you needed one inside an interior panel.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Our inspectors want to see a 12″ loop at the outlet boxes but I always thought that was for a tension/extra wire issue, not a drip loop. Not sure if that’s code either, or just what they want.

Panels can be tight AFAIK.

I like the look of a clean box.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Thats a nice panel. I love making things look good, but a fews ive worked with look down on tyraps and I dont know of any other way to make them perfect 90 degrees.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Saw this post from the newsletter – really clean looking electrical panel!

I was taught how to do things neat and tidy in the 60’s when I was a member of the IBEW in the Chicago area. My boss always told me to do it as if it were going to be here for 100 years or more. Work clean and neat.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Some areas it won’t pass if wires are all over place in panel . Really don’t take that longer to make a panel wired clean .

That’s how it should look, nice and neat, clean, you can follow each wire perfectly. I’m not knowledgeable about the drip loop either.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I was taught how to do things neat and tidy in the 60’s when I was a member of the IBEW in the Chicago area. My boss always told me to do it as if it were going to be here for 100 years or more. Work clean and neat.

Welcome to the forum @rich7575! I see you joined a while ago but just now started posting – I hope you keep contributing!

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

Anonymous

I’m not a pro sparky but I did all the wiring in my enclosed toy hauler trailer, Gee I didn’t know neatness counted but here’s how I did mine. Did I pass?

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I’m not a pro sparky but I did all the wiring in my enclosed toy hauler trailer, Gee I didn’t know neatness counted but here’s how I did mine. Did I pass?

Well you should be proud, looks better than some jobs I’ve seen. Looks professional to me.

We use zip ties after the panel is wired to keep things tidy. Also label things inside the panel as well as out side. A neat panel looks pro but also is much safer to work in.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I would point out that using tyraps to bundle the conductors limits heat dispersion-not a good idea IMHO.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

We use zip ties after the panel is wired to keep things tidy. Also label things inside the panel as well as out side. A neat panel looks pro but also is much safer to work in.

That is a nice looking panel OA. You are right – a tidy panel makes it much safer to work in, digging through a tangle of wires in a live panel is a quick way to get hurt.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

This is one of the recent panels I did. I try to keep my wires straight and clean. We are not allowed to use zip ties any more because it is considered bundling, for heat dissipation reasons. You will see zip ties around some of my wires these are 3 wire circuits meaning you have 2 wires sharing a neutral and on a two pole breaker.

It is not always easy making a panel swap look good because the existing wires aren’t always long enough.

Attachments:

Brimac
    Pro

not sure why you would need a zip tie to bend a wire at 90º…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.443 seconds