dcsimg

clean job site floors

This topic contains 24 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Ok I use a rigid shop vac to clean up after the rough work and drill from plumbers and electricians then I replace it with a little Rigid. One with a vac bag. And finally towards the end I pull out the extractor/hepa.

So I shuffle through 3 of these vacs and the best I have to clean the dam floor with is a brush end I have to push around. It cleans but not very clean.
    I realize unless your mopping up or using a swiffer there will be some haze but am I looking for something that doesnt exist? I hate seeing a film of dust behind me as I get closer to the finish.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Sweep then vac for us, depending on the state of the job, we may go all the way to the Hepa. Using the Build Clean has helped also.

Best thing I’ve found next to a Festool vac is also use a swifter mop to get the haze and dust build up off surfaces .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie
    Pro

I have a Festool cleaning set that the head has two settings. One for hard surfaces whereby there’s a felt like strip that sweeps all the dust like particles, and the other setting raises it up t9 properly capture larger particles on the first pass. The sliding head mounted switch between both modes is easily actuated with ones foot. I just tried looking for it online to show you as I’m not near my shop at present, but I can’t find this kit or even the vac head. Hmmmm….maybe they no longer offer it. I bought mine close to 10 years ago.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I hate seeing a film of dust behind me as I get closer to the finish.

What type of floor is you are trying to clean? Concrete, laminate, tile?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@topnotch,
    What about laying down a protector? This way when the job is done roll it up and toss it. Less dust to clean up so less haze left behind.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Best thing I’ve found next to a Festool vac is also use a swifter mop to get the haze and dust build up off surfaces .

swifters are great to keep around for wiping down anything, floors, walls, millwork. we keep them in the trailer for misc cleanup.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah i use my ridgid or bosch and if i feel up to it the oneida mini gorilla, it is portable and awhile ago i bought an attachment that goes on the end of the oneida with wheels so you can just push it over the floor to get everything.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have a Festool cleaning set that the head has two settings. One for hard surfaces whereby there’s a felt like strip that sweeps all the dust like particles, and the other setting raises it up t9 properly capture larger particles on the first pass. The sliding head mounted switch between both modes is easily actuated with ones foot. I just tried looking for it online to show you as I’m not near my shop at present, but I can’t find this kit or even the vac head. Hmmmm….maybe they no longer offer it. I bought mine close to 10 years ago.

I was looking at attachments for the midi. I know the powerhead works for rugs. From my understanding it doesn’t work well unless you get the bigger hose.

I’m concerned with hardwood floors. To avoid going through dozens of swiffers I want a better pre clean. Drop come out but are not always the answer.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Are we talking finished floors here? If the floor is that dirty, what about the other surfaces in the room?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

swifters are great to keep around for wiping down anything, floors, walls, millwork. we keep them in the trailer for misc cleanup.

You’re right the Swiffers work well for picking up dust off tile or laminate floors, walls as well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Are we talking finished floors here? If the floor is that dirty, what about the other surfaces in the room?

Brian for an example. I am redoing the first floor of a split level. That includes kitchen gut,new dining room sliding door and refinishing the floors.
    I have plastic and zip doors on opening’s to keep the other spaces from getting nasty. I clean my job site daily for mental sanity and to keep the dust down. No one is living in the house but I want to keep the dirt from tracking.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

An air scrubber like the Buildclean would help a lot with the airborne dust. Something I used to do was include a “free” house cleaning service. A friend of mine had a cleaning service; she gave me a little break in the price because it got her foot in the door with new customers and I would include the cost in my estimate. I keep the site as clean as possible but then she would come in and polish everything up.

Obviously, not every job had the budget to bury an extra $300 to $400 but many did.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Ya know, that build clean seems like a fine idea but not at the cost. I know its real easy to say I have no complaints or it helps after you spent the money. Its like mental justification.

Unless your using make up air and exhausting the filtered air, a lot of the air around the immediate unit is filtered and re filtered. Too expensive for those filters. There will still be dust, just a not as much. 95% cleaner hmmm ok at certain times closer to the final product……that would be a good idea but not during daily remodeling. Better off with Negative air out a window before it hits the ground.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I always think about the maid service thing on finals. I like that. My remodeling is seldom on high end work and the people who hire me and most of us sweat the cost too much. I have many who cant stomach the cost of a painter much less a cleaning service. They’ll do it themselves.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Ya know, that build clean seems like a fine idea but not at the cost. I know its real easy to say I have no complaints or it helps after you spent the money. Its like mental justification.

Unless your using make up air and exhausting the filtered air, a lot of the air around the immediate unit is filtered and re filtered. Too expensive for those filters. There will still be dust, just a not as much. 95% cleaner hmmm ok at certain times closer to the final product……that would be a good idea but not during daily remodeling. Better off with Negative air out a window before it hits the ground.

Negative air is great when you can get it, bit we just finished a bathroom where we had no window and not really an option for negative air. that is where the buildclean came in. Another one where we were in a commercial building that did not have operable windows. in those situations, a scrubber is your only option.

Sometimes we use both. but in the long run it is all about keeping it clean for the customer.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I try to eliminate the dust before it Happans but demolition is aNother problem. Itdoesnt matter what type of vacuum I used there is always haze. You have to use swifter at the end.build clean is good unit but it’s to expensive for regular demo days. I will say negative air is best solution

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

its always tricky keepng the job spotless towards the end of the job.

generally we put down paper on the major traffic areas for people to walk on, we keep a small household vaccum on site once the finish floors are in as it wont up floors like a shop vac wand will.

i like keeping a few garbage cans inside in a central location so there easy to spot and put garbage in. one of our labors drives me nuts though as he takes the cans outside constantly which means people are more likely to just throw garbage on the floor. another thing ill do is if cans arent available or already full is to use packaging boxes for garbage.. instead of simply getting rid of a empty box keep it around til its full .. two birds one stone sorta deal

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Negative air is great when you can get it, bit we just finished a bathroom where we had no window and not really an option for negative air. that is where the buildclean came in. Another one where we were in a commercial building that did not have operable windows. in those situations, a scrubber is your only option.

Sometimes we use both. but in the long run it is all about keeping it clean for the customer.

I been thinking about trying one of those negative air movers with a sock extension. They make one for around $75 at HF. That would help the situation.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie
    Pro

Here’s the pics of the Festool vac kit and its dual mode brush head I was refering to earlier.

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-454766-Tradesman-Installer-Cleaning/dp/B000W0OYJG

Looks like its SKU nuber has changed to this one now.

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-497700-Tradesman-Installer-Cleaning/dp/B004VB7NOU/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.595 seconds