dcsimg

Clampzilla

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 1 day, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

redwood
    Pro

Woodpeckers comes up with a lot of neat ideas(inventions), that are usually very expensive for what they are. I’m on the fence on this one.

I champ a fair number of panels. Currently, I use parallel clamps, plus steel U channels with additional clamps on each end. Kind of looks like the inital view on the video. This looks like a much simpler method.

What do you think?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I think at $129 US dollars that’s expensive chit and I’ll continue to use my U channels that I got for free.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I saw the Woodpeckers add this morning. They do make pretty tools but I have never justified the price either. This one is basically a fancy 4 way pressure clamp that many other retailers make as a kit where you add your own wood.

eliminating the work to make your own would be great but at what cost.

Here is a Rockler kit version that functions in a similar way.
    https://www.rockler.com/4-way-equal-pressure-clamp?sid=V9146?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content={adtype}&utm_campaign=PL&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping%20-%20Clamps&msclkid=100bd0fc317c17b690438dd9374d5986

$49 per clamp plus a little wood vs $129 ??

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Woodpeckers comes up with a lot of neat ideas(inventions), that are usually very expensive for what they are. I’m on the fence on this one.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe title=”Perfect Clamping with Clampzilla 4-Way Panel Clamp” width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/9q-PJS343VQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    I champ a fair number of panels. Currently, I use parallel clamps, plus steel U channels with additional clamps on each end. Kind of looks like the inital view on the video. This looks like a much simpler method.

What do you think?

For a guy who does a lot of panel glue ups that looks like a really simple, effective solution. You did say Woodpeckers, so I’m guessing that you would need to be doing a whole lot of panels to begin to justify investing in these clamps. I can only begin to imagine the time savings for the serious professional using this system not to mention the improved accuracy.

I do similar to you, Mark, with steel angle at each end of a glueup and pipe clamps top and bottom. Works for the limited number of panels I do.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Doobie
    Pro

What do you think?

Looks like what the Plano glue press or the Damston panel clamps do. Nothing new really, just a reiteration.

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/plano-vertical-glue-press

https://www.elitetools.ca/en/product/four-damstom-sjd300-gr-4-panel-clamp/

I am gluing up a lot a smaller panels. The clamps seem long and a lot to handle for my size of glue-up. Pretty expensive too when I take into account all the different clamps I already own. Maybe if I was just starting out.

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve semi wanted the Plano system for panel glue ups, but I just don’t do enough of them to warrant their expensive cost and it requires wall space to affix their system which I don’t really have.

One guy was selling a Plano set up a couple of years ago on the Canadian woodworking forum and I didn’t even bother bidding on it. I just don’t have a place for it even though he wanted roughly half its retail price at the time.

redwood
    Pro

I’m staying on the fence. I can’t justify the cost, though I really like the possibilities. I have a ton of clamps already and anymore will just limit the use of those. For 1/2 the price, I would probably jump for them.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie
    Pro

I’m staying on the fence. I can’t justify the cost, though I really like the possibilities. I have a ton of clamps already and anymore will just limit the use of those. For 1/2 the price, I would probably jump for them.

Can’t say I blame ya. You have to know you would be using them for a lot of panels to justify the cost.

Be on the lookout for the Plano on Kijiji type places. People do sell them second hand. I think they are probably the best type of these kinds of panel clamps, but you gotta have the wall space for them.

I’ve wondered whether one clamp I could use to rig up my own panel clamps are my Bessey EK-55 edge clamps.

https://www.amazon.com/Bessey-EKT55-One-Handed-Edge-Clamp/dp/B000022457/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Ekt-55&qid=1562965333&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I already have a dozen of them, so if they could do double duty somehow for panel glue ups, that would be great.

Overall I have been very satisfied with Bessey Revo’s for clamping panels. They do a better job that the “F” style clamps.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I agree it is hard to justify the cost. If one feels they could use them ok. Like you said you would probably jump for them if they were half price.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.183 seconds