dcsimg

Clamps? What's your favorite?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 221 total)
  • Author

I have a mixture of Bessey and Jet parallel face clamps, and a bunch of the Rockler pipe clamps, which I really like. The Jet and Bessey both have their pros and cons, but I tend to lean more to the Bessey’s

Doobie

I have a mixture of Bessey and Jet parallel face clamps, and a bunch of the Rockler pipe clamps, which I really like. The Jet and Bessey both have their pros and cons, but I tend to lean more to the Bessey’s

I’ve heard that the Jet do have a drawback or two despite what everybody initially says about them, but I can’t recall what it may be.

There was a guy selling a bunch of Jets a few months back not far from me who was getting out of woodworking and while I was slightly tempted, I just didn’t want to get into a mixed type of parrallel clamps.

Which Bessey type do you have. I have all mine the older K-Body style.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

One draw back of the jet I found is that I broke a plastic handle off one. I like the wooden handles better.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Has anyone else used these face frame clamps? And if so, what did you think of them?

I have used them before. They are nice for getting the face frames lined up exactly.

Maybe that’s where I get lost in using them. I build the faceframes and buckle them together (off the carcass’s) after drilling pilot holes and before final sanding – so everything is already lined up. Once the FF’s are attached to the carcass and the install is in progress, the only ‘clamping’ I need is to hold them in place while driving the screws back into the original pre-drilled holes.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Does anyone know when more sales are coming up for the bessey or jet parallel clamps? I missed the big one last Black Friday and I was super bummed.

Charlie

Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Does anyone know when more sales are coming up for the bessey or jet parallel clamps? I missed the big one last Black Friday and I was super bummed.

Besides black Friday and fathers day it’s hard to tell when they will have sales.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Besides black Friday and fathers day it’s hard to tell when they will have sales.

i just need to know when there is a bessey sale in Canada or a jet sale that canadians can take part in.

Doobie

i just need to know when there is a bessey sale in Canada or a jet sale that canadians can take part in.

Do they even sell Jet parralel clamps up here? I know years ago guys were going to the US to get them. Shipping clamps is usually prohibitively expensive.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Guys, let’s leave the sale and deal talk to private messages please. It’s against the site rules.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

So, I love bar clamps, but what about trigger style? I’ve really been liking using the my pair of 12″ Bessey, but they’re fairly expensive. I’ve used Irwin, and DeWalt before, and I have a few off brand ones as well. So far the Bessey and DeWalt are my favorite, with good holding power ratings, and they have kept moving fairly smoothly over time, while the off brand and Irwin ones I’ve used seem to loose that and the spring mechanism breaks down quicker too.

Charlie

Instagram

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I still use a bunch of pipe clamps. I do like the rockler the best. I have eyed the others i just dont have enough call for their advantages to justify their price. Maybe one day ill pick one up and wonder why i waited so long.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I still use a bunch of pipe clamps. I do like the rockler the best. I have eyed the others i just dont have enough call for their advantages to justify their price. Maybe one day ill pick one up and wonder why i waited so long.

The big drawback for me with pipe clamps is that unless you’re very careful they leave black marks all over your work if you use standard black iron pipe. That said I’ve got a few sets that I use for super long clamp-ups since the pipe is pretty cheap. Didn’t know Rockler sold them. All I’ve ever used is the Ponys.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

So, I love bar clamps, but what about trigger style? I’ve really been liking using the my pair of 12″ Bessey, but they’re fairly expensive. I’ve used Irwin, and DeWalt before, and I have a few off brand ones as well. So far the Bessey and DeWalt are my favorite, with good holding power ratings, and they have kept moving fairly smoothly over time, while the off brand and Irwin ones I’ve used seem to loose that and the spring mechanism breaks down quicker too.

i like the trigger style to hold things in place but for clamping with strength i’d rather use something like a bessey k revo.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Forgot to share this that I did last week. Didnt have more than two clamps so I !ade my own. A couple scraps with some screws through them

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Forgot to share this that I did last week. Didnt have more than two clamps so I !ade my own. A couple scraps with some screws through them

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>
    <iframe class=”instagram-media instagram-media-rendered” id=”instagram-embed-0″ src=”https://www.instagram.com/p/BJA-NlRglOu/embed/captioned/?v=7&#8243; allowtransparency=”true” frameborder=”0″ height=”677″ data-instgrm-payload-id=”instagram-media-payload-0″ scrolling=”no” style=”border: 0px; margin: 1px; max-width: 658px; width: calc(100% – 2px); border-radius: 4px; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.498039) 0px 0px 1px 0px, rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 10px 0px; display: block; padding: 0px; background: rgb(255, 255, 255);”></iframe>
    <script async=”” defer=”” src=”//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js”></script>
    </figure>

lol that took me to long to realize what you were doing. That make sense, how well did it work out, did it tend to rack to one side?

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

It worked perfectly for that application. No gaps in between the pieces. It did want to pull it to one side if I didn’t tighten up the sides somewhat evenly

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good idea in a pinch, Thank you for sharing.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Can’t follow that Austin. I don’t subscribe to Instagram nor do I want to sign up. 🙁

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Can’t follow that Austin. I don’t subscribe to Instagram nor do I want to sign up. 🙁

here i extracted the photo for you, basically he used screws and scrap wood to clamp wood together. good idea for a pinch.

With the topic title in mind, although not the traditional woodworking clamp one might think of, I just love these cable clamps to keep cords organized and fitting easily into tool boxes.

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 221 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.460 seconds