dcsimg

Clamps? What's your favorite?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 221 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@doobie, have you seen recently of any package deals for the k body revos? i’ve been trying to keep an eye out, every since lowes stop carrying them i rarely even see them anymore. I could definitely do with a few more.

Doobie

@doobie, have you seen recently of any package deals for the k body revos? i’ve been trying to keep an eye out, every since lowes stop carrying them i rarely even see them anymore. I could definitely do with a few more.

I haven’t been looking for any, but I haven’t been noticing any either.

And other than the smokin’ package deals that LV had way back then when unbeknownst to most was simply because Bessey was about to come out with the Revo and were likely looking to clear stock on the K-Body style, usually any deals on Bessey Revos are so minuscule they’re hardly worth jumping on anyways.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Anyone wrap their clamp handles with hockey tape? I have found that my fingers are much better off since doing that. I usually do them just like the butt of a hockey stick, with a twisted-up bead of tape wrapped around helically followed by a “coat” of tape. Provides much better grip. I have found that recently the Jorgensens I’ve found come with a rubber grip on the handle rather than the old wooden handle, so those I haven’t had to tape up. Curious if anyone else does this as well. I think I got the idea from Rob Cosman.

No I have wrapped them in other things but never ended well. I will have to try the hockey tape thanks.

Use this instead. Leaves no residue if you need to take it off and it lasts forever. Nice rubbery grip even when wet.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67792&cat=1,110,43466

I’ve used it to even re-grip wheelbarrow handles, tape an electrical extension cord line that has been outside yearound for over five years nicked by the lawnmower. It’s waterproof and lasts.

When LV first starting selling it about ten years ago, this was the only ugly color they had.

The tape on the rolls has a seperation film. When it comes into contact with itself, it fuses itself together. It’s quite remarkable how it does this and not stick to anything else but itself.

Looks like something else for me to tack onto the next LV order! I build my list until the free shipping hits, then place the order. I could see lots of good uses for this stuff.

Doobie

I even used that tape to seal a cracked old Waterpik component about 4 years ago that would spray around a spout of water otherwise over the shower door frame. It worked great.

I just replaced that nearly 40 yo Waterpik with a new one, but kept it just in case we didn’t like the new. Here’s a pic of it in its ‘coffin’ pending final burial. Lol!

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Anyone wrap their clamp handles with hockey tape? I have found that my fingers are much better off since doing that. I usually do them just like the butt of a hockey stick, with a twisted-up bead of tape wrapped around helically followed by a “coat” of tape. Provides much better grip. I have found that recently the Jorgensens I’ve found come with a rubber grip on the handle rather than the old wooden handle, so those I haven’t had to tape up. Curious if anyone else does this as well. I think I got the idea from Rob Cosman.

No I have wrapped them in other things but never ended well. I will have to try the hockey tape thanks.

Use this instead. Leaves no residue if you need to take it off and it lasts forever. Nice rubbery grip even when wet.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67792&cat=1,110,43466

I’ve used it to even re-grip wheelbarrow handles, tape an electrical extension cord line that has been outside yearound for over five years nicked by the lawnmower. It’s waterproof and lasts.

When LV first starting selling it about ten years ago, this was the only ugly color they had.

The tape on the rolls has a seperation film. When it comes into contact with itself, it fuses itself together. It’s quite remarkable how it does this and not stick to anything else but itself.

Thats some great tape. You could also get two colors and use that color combo to mark all your tools

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Has anyone else used these face frame clamps? And if so, what did you think of them?

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Those are pony cabinet claw, right?
    I want to pick them up at some point. I believe they have a location for pilot hole drilling as well.

I haven’t because I prefer installing boxes and steer people away.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

woodman_412

Has anyone else used these face frame clamps? And if so, what did you think of them?

Are those for clamping face frames together when installing cabinets? I’ve never seen clamps like that before.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

Never seen those before. They looked specialized for something of a specific dimension.

Edit: Missed that you said ‘face frame’. Makes sense now.

MTRoads
    Pro

Those are pony cabinet claw, right?
    I want to pick them up at some point. I believe they have a location for pilot hole drilling as well.

I haven’t because I prefer installing boxes and steer people away.

Yes, they are the cabinet claws with the pilot hole to drill for attaching the face-frames together. This is an older version that I don’t think is available any longer.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

These are supposed to be used to align the face frames on the cabinets, then clamp them in place so the pilot hole can be drilled to attach the to cabinet face frames to one another.

I have tried to use them on numerous occasions, but just end up putting them away and grabbing a hand-screw to complete the job. Not sure what it is about them that I can’t come to grips with, maybe too many moving parts?

Stan

Doobie

These are supposed to be used to align the face frames on the cabinets, then clamp them in place so the pilot hole can be drilled to attach the to cabinet face frames to one another.

Thanks for explanation.

I have tried to use them on numerous occasions, but just end up putting them away and grabbing a hand-screw to complete the job. Not sure what it is about them that I can’t come to grips with, maybe too many moving parts?

I have the same issue with some Bessey corner clamps. Never felt like I’m using them right.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have used them before. They are nice for getting the face frames lined up exactly.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I don’t have many clamps. I have few F clamps, 2 pipe clamps, 4 spreader clamps from Cdn Tire on sale. The spreader clamps I like and also like the pipe clamps.I have went many of auction sales where the clamps sell for alot of money. I really not sure what I would buy if I was buying new clamps.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have clamps like those and I use them and they get the face frames very tight and the front flush. Mine don’t have the big knobs.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

They are excellent when installing face frame cabinets! We have had a pair for many years. Anymore most of our cabinets are frameless so we use regular quick grips.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I like to use locking clamps for frameless.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Never seen clamps like that around here.

I have clamps like those and I use them and they get the face frames very tight and the front flush. Mine don’t have the big knobs.

ThanX for the pic, nice to see how they are used. That right angle Ridgid can sure get into a tight spot.

I like to use locking clamps for frameless.

I’ve got a bunch of these but do prefer the original Vice-Grips over any of the knock offs that I have.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

MTRoads
    Pro

@DirtyWhiteBoy, nice collection of drills. Especially the right-angle drill – pretty much a required tool for installing cabinets. 🙂

Stan

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Mine look like yours Dirty. I think the older ones have the big knobs from what I recall. The smaller handles keep.you from over tightening and breaking something.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 221 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.591 seconds